Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gestational diabetes - time off work

• 21-02-2013 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I have just been diagnosed with Gestational diabetes, and the hospital said I will have to attend the gestational diabetes clinic on a weekly or fortnightly basis for a while. I know your employer is obliged to pay for time off for ante natal visits, but when I told my manager that I would have to go every week now, he flipped. He said these were diabetic appointments and not ante natal so he is not paying me, I will have to take it unpaid or out of holidays.

Does anyone know if this is true? I am stressed enough with getting the diagnosis and I can't afford to take time off unpaid.

thanks everyone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I don't think you're entitled to be paid outside set maternity appointments. Check with citizens information, the website answers a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

The doc's thought I had gestational diabetes and they told me that if I did that I would be entitled to 5 extra visits between gp and clinic for my pregnancy through the scheme for pregnant women so I'd imagine there is somethin there to aid you talk to citizens advice or gp?

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Contact NERA asap, because it's gestational diabetes and not normal diabetes I'd be wary what your employer is doing is illegal.

Advertisement