Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pug pup?

• 21-02-2013 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what i should look out for when buying a pug pup? and features to look out for that will benifit me when i come to breeding her?:D
    she will be a family dog which will be breed as well a 3 or 4 times over her life:D she will be need to have good lines as i have had gun dogs in the past that made me a few bob due to having good family lines. i am seeing them for about 600 pounds in G.B and about 700 euro here

Any advice on pugs would be great;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Are those prices current? I would be very, very surprised if anybody is selling pugs for that kind of money now, the bottom has fallen out of the puppy farming market. I would also be very, very surprised if anybody with good lines would sell a dog to you to use as a breeding machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

No its going to be a family pet as stated in post;) it will be breed as well nothing wrong wit that:D
    well i would imagine the prices for puppy farms is much lower in fact 400 euro from what i have heard. but as i said i am looking for a pup with good family lines hence why i said would 600 pounds or around 700 euro be good:D
    Thanks for your post helpful as always:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

are you serious or is this a wind up 5/6 litters ah come on get real

yea sure it said the lifespan of a pug is 12 years so that's breeding once every 2 years well maybe 5 or 6 was bit much but would defiantly be looking at 4:)

imho you should never let any bitch have pups after the age of 6 you are looking for trouble ask any vet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry but this has to be a troll....

A pet, but wants to breed it 4 times??

You should tell any potential breeder you go to about your plans, im sure they will be queuing up to sell you a pup....

never bothered my gun dogs but it would possibly be a problem with a pug and its shorter frame. thanks for the heads up:D

i have almost 1000 posts in different forums from canada to electrical why are people calling me a troll.i got an infraction because of it yesterday which was lifted as it was proven i was not. so please don't call me a troll again if you cant help me with my question that's ok but i take boards.ie and my username very seriously so lay off calling me a troll when i am not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    never bothered my gun dogs but it would possibly be a problem with a pug and its shorter frame. thanks for the heads up:D

Are you going to show the dog as well so that you get confirmation from your pug owning peers that it's worth breeding from?

Are you going to check the parents health history and have your own dog screened for any known health issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

ICBW, but I think that IKC rules say no litters before 2yrs or after 6yrs, and a litter a year in that time would be very draining for a bitch.

OP, you'll need to make sure that the parents of the dog you buy have been tested for any genetic problems in the breed (and in pugs there are many) so that they are as healthy as possible. You will then have to wait for your own dog to mature and get her tested for everything too, which isn't cheap.

Some people feel that only dogs who have been shown should be bred; I'm not one of them, but the dog shouldn't have any major conformation faults, and should be as healthy as possible.

ETA: make sure you get the dog insured, and be clear on what your insurance covers. Pugs suffer greatly with their eyes and their breathing, and insurance may count these as pre-existing conditions as they are ubiquitous in the breed.

Honestly, I think that if there is one breed that should be let vanish it's the pug. They have such terrible problems because of their shape and face that a lot of them can't even sleep lying down; that's why you see all those 'funny' pug falling asleep sitting up videos - the dog is desperately trying to find a position where it can sleep and breathe at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Weren't you looking for a Lab puppy in the last couple of months? Did you change your mind?

Thanks for your your replays it seems the poor pug suffers from a lot from eye problems so that will be a major thing i will look out for thanks:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

she will be need to have good lines as i have had gun dogs in the past that made me a few bob due to having good family lines. ;)

Ah, ok. I get it now.

Why do you want to breed it anyway?

get what?:o yea my mam has got the golden Labrador pup:) i have 2 gundogs and am now getting a pup whats wrong with that? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

andreac wrote: »

well obviously hes going to make a fortune at it isnt he!! breed the dog 6 times - say maybe 4-5 dogs per litter - sell them on at €700 per pup. quids in.

Oh woohoo, another back yard breeder using their dogs as money making machines!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Are you prepared to show her to prove she is worth breeding from, with gun dogs as I'm sure you know most money would change hands for the top dogs with ftch so with a 'pet' type dog you would be looking at kennel club shows to get titles to make sure she is worth breeding from. Also be prepared for heartbreak pugs are so prone to health problems, and a lot have to have c sections when giving birth which is risky for both mum and pups so you could end up losing them all. To be honest if you are just looking for a family pet I wouldn't look into breeding her, in the end it's not worth it and there are a lot of dogs looking for homes without adding to the population!

as stated if in my previous post if you cant help me please don't post comments to me :D

andreac wrote: »

its to make money not to improve the breed for sure

• Advertisement

well obviously hes going to make a fortune at it isnt he!! breed the dog 6 times - say maybe 4-5 dogs per litter - sell them on at €700 per pup. quids in.

Lay off will you i done nothing to you . you don't no me so why would you post something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Lay off will you i done nothing to you . you don't no me so why would you post something like that.

so its not to make money? if not then i apologise. perhaps you'd care to explain why you want to breed the dog 4-6 times then?

No its going to be a family pet as stated in post;) it will be breed as well nothing wrong wit that:D
    well i would imagine the prices for puppy farms is much lower in fact 400 euro from what i have heard. but as i said i am looking for a pup with good family lines hence why i said would 600 pounds or around 700 euro be good:D
    Thanks for your post helpful as always:D

Nope you're right, absolutely nothing wrong with breeding if done responsibly and properly by someone who knows the breed really well. being done by someone who has obviously looked on buy and sell websites, seen which breed is fetching the most money and then asking for info on that breed on an internet forum is not responsible breeding. Just because someone is advertising something for a particular price, doesn't mean they are achieving that price. ;)

You really should do your research more thoroughly, there is no way that you will sell a pup from the lines that you would be able to get for those prices. :) After you've done the relevant health testing and found a health tested sire, you will be lucky to break even. People with cash to splash on a puppy on a whim are very few and far between now. But then I'm guessing you won't be doing the genetic health testing anyway, sure its only a pet why would you bother? ;)

And, as you intend to breed her so much, you won't be able to register all of her puppies, so that will decrease the price you can sell them for even more.:D

I'd really suggest you find a different way to make a few quid, this is a no go.

ISDW I like your post you try to give a smart-ass comment and your funny at the same time my hat goes off to you:D

Thanks to all who helped me so far and for the other 3 or 4 who posted nasty comments and bullied me in yer little gang thanks a lot.

ISDW I like your post you try to give a smart-ass comment and your funny at the same time my hat goes off to you:D

Thanks to all who helped me so far and for the other 3 or 4 who posted nasty comments and bullied me in yer little gang thanks a lot.

I aim to please :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

You could just answer a simple question, why would you want to breed your family pet? Pugs are wildly known to have a host of health problems, so it would require a very strict selection of both dam and sire to make sure any future pups have a fighting chance at being healthy. Of the two pugs I know- admittedly a small pool, both have allergies and both have serious heart murmers, not to mention their contant snoring and breathing problems. I guess people here are curious to your motives and wonder have you actually considered this thoroughly.

no little gangs on here im afraid just a lot of same minded people that have the common sense to see the difference between wrong and right way of doing things

well 3 posters posting negative stuff towards 1 poster(me) that's what i would call a gang and it is most defiant bullying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

It's not a gang or bullying. It's people having more sense because they can see the reality of what's going on in Ireland. Puppy farming capital, dogs put to sleep in pounds every day, unhealthy dogs with hip dysplasia by the age of nine months. Any of this ringing a bell?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

well 3 posters posting negative stuff towards 1 poster(me) that's what i would call a gang and it is most defiant bullying.

Did you report a single post?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement