Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you appeal a DART fine if you fall asleep?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

When it's patently clear that it's a mistake and the customer is not trying to commit fraud. For example... someone who cannot buy a ticket at their starting point who get fined when they attempt to buy a ticket at their destination or the huge plethora of problems revolving around the redundant student travelcard.

A good "track record" (If you'll excuse the pun :P), the circumstances and the nature of the issue. For example, a customer who uses a particular train regularly and is well known to the staff serving the line who makes a slight oversight or mistake (especially mistakes that do not lead to any loss of revenue for Irish Rail) should not be treated as a scumbag trying to defraud the system. They should be sensible about these things and deal with each case in the context of the circumstances and the customer's previous dealings with the company.

A company who treat their customers like scumbags and look for any excuse to try and penalise them with a complete disregard for whether or not a penalty is just or warranted is ridiculously short-sighted and shows a complete lack of strategy. I don't see the business sense in gaining €100 at the expense of losing the loyalty of a regular customer who not only becomes liable to change over to another service at any minute but will probably go out of their way to badmouth the company at every opportunity they get.
    Careful, you might irritate the "stop moaning, pay the fine" brigade :rolleyes:

Common sense or at the very least a reappraisal of things like what happens if you want to get on a train at Broombridge and arrive at Docklands having seen no opportunity to pay for a ticket (with staff claiming you should be fined), or the farce of the penny-pinching student travelcard™ or when Irish Rail staff tell customers incorrect information about buying tickets, will get you nowhere. Don't question their authority and make sure you accept every provision as stated within CIE's various bye-laws. And try to understand when you see RPU staff ignore thugs without tickets because they're afraid of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

P_1 wrote: »
    Sorry was posting from the phone last time so please excuse the short reply.

I guess common sense would mean:

If you usually travel between station X and station Y and can prove this by showing that you live or work near those stations then a mistake on your part could be explained by that.

If you're taking the piss and trying to get a freebie then you have no excuses.

Which equates to "I live/work near X and Y stop and I forgot to get off."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

sorkyporky wrote: »
    i got on a dart at sydney parade to sandymount but fell asleep, when i woke up i just decided to wait till i got to sutton and get off, i didn't see much harm. But anyways the guy came around and gave me a 100 euro fine. Also when he gave me the slip, he didn't write my name,address,date,location,amount paid,unpaid fare or received by. All he did was tick the box with 100euro next to it, nothing else. Can i appeal on this?

If he did not write you name/address on the ticket, did he write it anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I did fall asleep once, but granted I was 14 and on a child ticket! Was going from Maynooth to Drumcondra, woke up as the train was in Drumcondra. By the time I got out of my seat and to the door it wouldn't allow me to open it. Staff in Connolly were lovely, showed me what to do. Got a stern warning at the end though, got warned that I'd be fined if I was two years older!

OP, just pay up. It was a 90 second journey, it's difficult to believe that you fell asleep. And then deciding to stay on until Sutton? That's an extra 13 stops. IMO, it's difficult to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sorkyporky

yeah i think he wrote it in his booklet thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 sorkyporky

Hi, i got a 100euro fine the other day and when the guy handed it to me it wasn't filled out at all except for a little tick on the 100euro part and a tick next to the reason i was fined. Just wondering if i can appeal on these grounds. If i dont get anything in the post despite giving correct details,do i still have to pay it? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

Did you not just get this answered in the last thread you started??

(I notice you left out the bit about "falling asleep" between Sydney Parade & Sandymount and deciding to stay on until Sutton in this post :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭highnc

looks like he didn't get the answer he wanted!!!

pay the fine, learn and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

sorkyporky, one thread on you travails is enough.

Advertisement