Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance for a 50cc moped

• 21-02-2013 5:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking at getting a 50cc moped for running around locally. I am only at the planning stage now, doing the theory test etc as I don't have a licence at present.

Could anyone give me a ballpark figure for insurance? I am 38, female, with no driving experience.

I needs a rough idea before I proceed any further?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Ring a broker or insurer. Nobody here or anywhere but an Insurer can give you the answer you need.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭JackieBurke

They won't help as I don't have either a licence or vehicle.

I am just looking for very general estimates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ring up broker, and say you have a Learner Permit so? And give them the details of a generic bike?

You're just looking for prices here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

They will help. We can't as we don't know anything about you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

So just tell them that you do have a licence and moped and get the quote. It only becomes an issue if you incept the policy without a licence or a bike for that matter.

• Advertisement

Got sorted. I was pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

Got sorted. I was pleasantly surprised.

out of curiosity,how much??

€250 for a 49cc or €400 for a 125cc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

You want to add IBT into your costs.

Not needed according to the insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved

You can't legally ride the bike without it as far as I know. But the regulars here will clear that up in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Insurance does not require it but if you don't have it your licence is not valid for riding on public roads. Therefore your insurance is void if you do.

I stand corrected. The RSA sure want to make their few bucks out of it all. I might put the plan on hold for the time being.

The husband as a full M licence so I assume he does not need any of the IBT stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

The husband as a full M licence so I assume he does not need any of the IBT stuff?

Correct, if he has a full licence than he does not need IBT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Do you have a full car license?
    If you have it a good few years you might have m catagory already.

Nope. I have no licence whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I stand corrected. The RSA sure want to make their few bucks out of it all. I might put the plan on hold for the time being.

The licence your husband has is for a moped, this is a bike <49cc and not capable of exceeding 45km/h. Not all 50cc bikes are mopeds.
    Nope. I have no licence whatsoever.

If you are going to get a bike licence I'd advise to get the A, the lessons will be roughly the same and once you get the bug you can just get a bigger bike.

Advertisement