Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iphone 4s using mobile data at midnight even when it is connected to wifi

• 21-02-2013 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

I have noticed over the last 3 months that my bill has jumped in price. It seems that at midnight every night my iphone is sending data on Vodafone live, even though at that time of night the phone is connected to the wifi in my house. it seems to be for a different amount every day and just shows up on the bill as "Vodafone Live!"
    I rang vodafone Tech support and was told to turn off Cellular data and it would stop it happening, but obliviously I don't want to have to be turning it on and off everytime I want to use the internet.
    any suggestions on how to stop this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

More than likely jut the way billing works. O2 is the same. If your phone is locked its not connected to the wifi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

guil wrote: »
    More than likely jut the way billing works. O2 is the same. If your phone is locked its not connected to the wifi

Is that a iPhone specific thing? Sounds wrong. On Android phones I've had, even the phone is locked and its on wifi, it uses that not 3G.

BostonB wrote: »

Is that a iPhone specific thing? Sounds wrong. On Android phones I've had, even the phone is locked and its on wifi, it uses that not 3G.
    No and On android you can change it but I think by default wifi is off or only on when plugged in when the screen is locked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

guil wrote: »
    If your phone is locked its not connected to the wifi

Just sayin - On my Iphone and Androids Ive had - Once you are in a wifi zone that the phone knows the password- it will stay on the wifi - locked or not - plugged in or not.

It could be the signal is not very good in the room you leave the phone - and its dropping off wifi?

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

darraghjm wrote: »
    I have noticed over the last 3 months that my bill has jumped in price. It seems that at midnight every night my iphone is sending data on Vodafone live, even though at that time of night the phone is connected to the wifi in my house. it seems to be for a different amount every day and just shows up on the bill as "Vodafone Live!"
    I rang vodafone Tech support and was told to turn off Cellular data and it would stop it happening, but obliviously I don't want to have to be turning it on and off everytime I want to use the internet.
    any suggestions on how to stop this

Vodafone accumulate Live usage for the entire day and then show the total data usage for that day as a charge shortly after midnight.

Also, with iPhones even if you have WiFi on and connected, unless you specifically disable 3G it will keep the 3G mobile data connection open for push alerts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

Kensington wrote: »
    Also, with iPhones even if you have WiFi on and connected, unless you specifically disable 3G it will keep the 3G mobile data connection open for push alerts.

Ive looked for general background info before on how it works - but never heard that push uses 3g when wifi is available. Do you have a ref for that? Its hard finding out tech details on this.

Eg.http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ios-apps/221242-push-notifications-explained.html

Says will use wifi.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »

Just sayin - On my Iphone and Androids Ive had - Once you are in a wifi zone that the phone knows the password- it will stay on the wifi - locked or not - plugged in or not.

It could be the signal is not very good in the room you leave the phone - and its dropping off wifi?
    It's not dropping wifi. When you lock an iPhone the wifi goes to sleep until you next unlock it

Can you not configure it to get the push on schedule, so it wakes up the wifi does its thing then go back to sleep?

I guess when I've ever done this I've had 3G off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

ozmo wrote: »
    Ive looked for general background info before on how it works - but never heard that push uses 3g when wifi is available. Do you have a ref for that? Its hard finding out tech details on this.

Eg.http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ios-apps/221242-push-notifications-explained.html

Says will use wifi.

Certainly, straight from Apple themselves : [Linky] :)
    Important: In iOS, Wi-Fi is used for push notifications only if there is no cellular connection or if the device is an iPod touch. For some devices to receive notifications via Wi-Fi, the device’s display must be on (that is, it cannot be sleeping) or it must be plugged in. The iPad, on the other hand, remains associated with the Wi-Fi access point while asleep, thus permitting the delivery of push notifications. The Wi-Fi radio wakes the host processor for any incoming traffic.
    (It's at the very end of that page)

Funny how features like this always cost the end user money rather than cost the network.

I have to assume that's intentional.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

BostonB wrote: »
    Funny how features like this always cost the end user money rather than cost the network.

I have to assume that's intentional.

Users should really have a data plan on iPhones, or any smart phone for that matter.

You can still be "smart" about how you use it.

Advertisement