Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSAP Essay questions.

Options
  • 21-02-2013 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Howdy all, been reading through some posts I could find in regards to the MSAP essay's I will be writing on Saturday (Deep breaths, nice deep breaths and my happy place). My concern is generally how long they expect the essays to be.

I only have thirty minutes to write each one and given a few minutes for planning I can't imagine they would expect something drastic. Just wondering if anyone who has experienced this test has anything to add in regards to a word count or page count. Even a ball park guess would help. Thanks in advance!

To anyone taking the exam, best of luck! Might see some of ye in Cork. :cool:

P.S. Really sorry if this has been asked a thousand times before, kind of freaking out a little bit!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Most tallies I've read, from either here or around the web, come in at about a page, to a page and a half. This'll be what I'm aiming for, unless directed otherwise.

Good luck to you too. I, for one, and in want of a better term, am bricking it to the highest degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I'll be in Cork as well on Saturday. I'm going to aim for a page each. The most important part I think is going to be how you say it and how you get your points across and layout(introduction, body and conclusion) not necessarily what you say(content and knowledge)

I'm nervous myself but sure what can you do! You'll be doing way more essays once you get into college! What did ye apply for?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Korasa

Cheers for the answers. From what ye have said I am thinking a page should be grand, might stretch it further depending on time. I'm kinda losing it myself a little with the worry but I'm sure we will all do grand.

As for what I am applying for, Arts and coming in second is Psychology, hopefully at UCC but I have applied to other uni's as well. Here's hoping I get in anyways. Cheers for the responses lads and best of luck to both of ye tommorow!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yeah we will! I'm going for Social Science in UCC. The only thing that's annoying me is having to drive down from Waterford at 7:30am :rolleyes:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

I have to leave Tralee at 6.15 :mad:

Bloody public travel on Saturday is the bane of the early bird!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Most tallies I've read, from either here or around the web, come in at about a page, to a page and a half. This'll be what I'm aiming for, unless directed otherwise.

Good luck to you too. I, for one, and in want of a better term, am bricking it to the highest degree.

Thanks for this info, I was wondering the same. I think the timing will be the biggest issue for most :( , 1 hour to write 2 essays. Good look to everyone sitting this tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Toby7658

How did everyone get on today? Loved the essays but module 2 was a bit of a disaster zone. They really need to allocate at least another half hour:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i had the opposite problem, an hour for module 1 really doesn't leave you much time for thinking. i did manage to go back over module 2 and thankfully found a couple of answers i'd got wrong the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Toby7658

Lucky you!!! I spent way too much time on the written passages. Practiced all month on sample papers but still mess up on time. oh well, heres hoping :) Best of luck to you!

I found module 1 okay to be fair. Could have been a lot worse. module 2 was awful though. I think I did alright but some of those questions were infuriating. Here's hoping we all did well though. Best of luck when y'all get yer results. I'm rootin for ye!(Right after me :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

I found module 1 ok, the 2nd topic on success wasnt as good though, module 3 was harder than the 2 samples I tried :( Probably because of the time limit, finished it ok, but would have loved to spend more time thinking on some of the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fatboyfat7

What were the modulal topics this year out of curiousity? I thought they might have thrown in some aspect of social media but doesnt sound like it...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 calm_bull

the modules this year were about science as the argumentative piece, and success as the reflective piece. I think i honestly completely ****ed up. I put in some very controversial points, that were not of my own opinion, which i think is not necessarily a bad thing, however i also didn't think to structure better and may have waffled on a little but. for each essay i used 3 or four opposite opinions to show both sides of an argument, and gave no definitive answer because science isn't an area i particularly read into.

Advertisement