Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half inside half outside

• 21-02-2013 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭

Our little mini schnauzer (5months) is great at doing her business outside, when that business is a number 2 but seems to prefer peeing indoors on her puppy training mat. She is alone for 3 hours in the morning and for another hour or so in the evening if we go to the gym.

We arent crate training, but she has a little room (about 2m by 2m) which she sleeps in with the door closed, she is happy enough in there at night and only shouts at us in the morning on the rare occasion she is cut short with a poo at night, or if her lazy mum and dad dont get up early enough at the weekend. She gets out 3 or 4 times a day at around 10 mins at a time....maybe longer if I stop for a coffee. Her training pads are in her room with her food, bed and travel crate.

Should I take away the pads? We are happy for her to use them but would really prefer if she would prefer to go outside.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

If it were me I'd get rid of them, you're sending mixed messages otherwise. I'd get rid of them and make a big fuss of her when she pees outside. She won't be long getting it right.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

If it were me I'd get rid of them, you're sending mixed messages otherwise. I'd get rid of them and make a big fuss of her when she pees outside. She won't be long getting it right.

I'd sort of get rid of them!
    As she is already very strongly habituated to using them, I'd continue to use them, but I'd start moving them towards the door where she goes out to poop. Slowly but surely, and eventually I'd have the pads on the lawn (actually, you may, just may get away with going straight from little room to garden with them.. worth a try). When she pees on the pad on the lawn, have a little congratulations party for her.
    Now, you may be able to get her so happy to pee outside that you can, in a few days/weeks, take away the pad. Or, you may have to start folding the pad a little bit at a time to make it smaller and smaller.
    What I would do straight away is to get rid of the pads when she's alone in her little room: she should be able to hold on for those few short hours now.
    This is the trouble with pads, or newspaper, that they can actually teach the dog to go in the house. But as your little lady is so good on the pooping stakes, I think you won't have any huge difficulty weaning her off the pads and onto the grass: she "got it" with the pooping, it'll therefore be a lot easier for her to get it with the peeing too!
    Good luck!

Advertisement