Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now we need a pedestrian crossing at the Seafront

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Maudi wrote: »
    the harbour has been f...ed up and a f..k up has been made and thousands wasted on that "cycle"path.just up the road from it..there was utterly no need for a cycle lane there.

There is no need for that tone here whatsoever, please cut it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Plastik wrote: »
    There is no law, rule or otherwise that makes it compulsory for cyclists to use cycle lanes.

I haven't seen the new paths yet but I might cycle by tomorrow evening, on the road.
    Taltos wrote: »
    Suggest you have a browse through here: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1964/en/si/0294.html#zzsi294y1964a16

I too used to regularly cycle that stretch as a kid and never had an issue with it. To be honest though - if it encourages more leisurely cycles out then great - we just need to keep an eye out during the summer time for young kids running in front of the bikes or the odd dog.

The pedestrian crossings will be a great advantage here as well. But I am going to hold off my full judgement on this stretch until we see the final parking arrangements.
    My OH was horrified at the loss of parking - but lets wait and see.

Anyone else here remember the seasonal changes to the road - summertime - 1 way; off summer two way flow of traffic :) Funtimes...

There was up until recently. It was changed back in October 2012.

See article here on it.
    Transport minister Leo Varadkar has announced new legislation that will abolish the requirement for cyclists to use cycle lanes.

A newly published statutory instrument updating road traffic regulations has removed the previous mandatory use requirement. Cyclists are now only obliged to use cycle lanes when a contra-flow cycle lane is present or when there is a cycle lane through a pedestrianised area.

The new law also clarifies the right for cyclists to pass on the left hand side when traffic is stationary or slow moving.

The update to the law was promised more than three years ago when the previous government published the National Cycle Policy Framework.

The strategy document acknowledged that many of the cycling facilities constructed to date were "often of a poor standard" and "poorly maintained".

It said many cycle lanes actually force cyclists to the inside of left-turning vehicles, including heavy goods vehicles (HGVs). Incidents with left-turning HGVs are one of the prime causes of serious accidents involving cyclists.

Cycle lanes were also ill-suited to groups of sports cyclists who were using the roads to train, it said.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

luapenak wrote: »
    Can't see why your attacking the Bray Wheelers, but would agree that they are generally a waste of money, because cyclists including myself generally stay well clear of them (but thats a whole other discussion which has been repeated many times on the cycling forum). I'd say I cycled that piece of road every day between the ages of 11 and 17 and I don't for one second see the need for a cycle lane there.

I suspect that the cycle paths at the beach are not intended for the likes of bray wheelers but rather families cycling with small kids. I for one welcome the face lift; the old paths were terrible for pushing a buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Suggest you have a browse through here: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1964/en/si/0294.html#zzsi294y1964a16

I too used to regularly cycle that stretch as a kid and never had an issue with it. To be honest though - if it encourages more leisurely cycles out then great - we just need to keep an eye out during the summer time for young kids running in front of the bikes or the odd dog.

The pedestrian crossings will be a great advantage here as well. But I am going to hold off my full judgement on this stretch until we see the final parking arrangements.

Anyone else here remember the seasonal changes to the road - summertime - 1 way; off summer two way flow of traffic :) Funtimes...

I suggest you have a browse through here http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0332.html and bring yourself up to date. There are two very specific instances where cycle lanes are compulsory if provided, that's it. 99% of the time, they're not.

edit: Anyway, the cycle lane thing has been done to death at this stage. Why it was brought up in the thread, along with the targeting of the local cycling club, is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Seems a bit of waste for the location to me. It's one of those locations that mean the cycle lanes will inevitably become part of the footpath, so won't be used by cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clocha_liatha

The cycle lanes are not fully finished yet so it remains to be seen how they will work out. I have long been in favour of cycle paths by the seafront, its a leisure area albeit there is st davids which brings a lot of passing traffic. When my own kids were younger i always thought a stretch of cycle paths was needed, kids can now cycle along with their parents in both directions which was up to now not possible. I do have a bit of sympathy for those elderly or disabled parkers who park and view the sea. There will be a parking stretch on left hand side beside davids so this may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

kids can now cycle along with their parents in both directions which was up to now not possible

A great point, never even considered that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The 1964 edition of the statute book! Why is it even on the internet :)

But the rule change of 2012 could possibly be the reason for having the cyclists ride on the RHS of the cycle path. It could be interpreted as a contra-flow cycle path if they were travelling on the LHS, and therefore mandatory to use it.
    Cycling in the same direction as the vehicular traffic in an adjacent lane is not inherently safer than cycling in the opposite direction IMO. The advice for pedestrians walking on roads is to always face oncoming traffic. That way you can see whats coming at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

More importantly why make cycling lanes when cyclists NEVER FCUKING USE THEM.....
    exactly, there's a perfectly good road right there, of course cyclists will not use it. Why not put in a strip of grass and plant some trees and benches and what not and make it look nice rather than the horrible black and grey nothingness that's there now.

exactly, there's a perfectly good road right there, of course cyclists will not use it. Why not put in a strip of grass and plant some trees and benches and what not and make it look nice rather than the horrible black and grey nothingness that's there now.

Reminds me of that song Joe Dolan sang

"The town I came from was quiet and small
    We played in the meadows where the grass grew so tall
    In summer the lilacs would grow everywhere
    The laughter of children would float in the air

As I grew older I had to roam
    Far from my family, far from my home
    Into the city, where lives can be spent
    Lost in the shadows of tar and cement."

It is a great pity to lose a lot of the grass margins along the seafront surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Reminds me of that song Joe Dolan sang

"The town I came from was quiet and small
    We played in the meadows where the grass grew so tall
    In summer the lilacs would grow everywhere
    The laughter of children would float in the air

As I grew older I had to roam
    Far from my family, far from my home
    Into the city, where lives can be spent
    Lost in the shadows of tar and cement."

It is a great pity to lose a lot of the grass margins along the seafront surely.

John It's true It's true It's true.......:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

John. Nobody ever has (nor ever should) win an argument by quoting Joe Dolan songs!!

Totally agree though. This was a crazy piece of work utterly lacking in taste. However would we expect anything else from WCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clocha_liatha

I often wonder why there isnt more done by way of public demonstration re the mess that is the harbour surroundings, granted the harbour itself whilst not being the most aesthetically pleasing on the eye at least will be a functioning harbour soon hopefully with boats,! Politicians will only take notice when people vote with their feet, guboh? Has there ever been a public meeting or demo to say enough is enough re the debacle that was foisted on us.

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    John. Nobody ever has (nor ever should) win an argument by quoting Joe Dolan songs!!

Totally agree though. This was a crazy piece of work utterly lacking in taste. However would we expect anything else from WCC?

We are a very complacent race of people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Had a nice walk down by the harbour and around the new (partially) finish cycle track. It's nice and smooth...I reckon it would be great for rolling blading on. But nobody roller blades anymore. :( So instead of Sunset Strip, we can call it Sunrise Strip - Original eh?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Yea, let's waste thousands on a needless cycle track yet there's not even a pathway across Three Trouts Bridge. Safety first?!?

Indeed lets cut carers allowances ,special needs teachers, nurses and Garda salaries and impose property tax and OAP's but make sure to leave plenty of money for cycle lanes and speed ramps in Greystones!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

I was down there at the weekend and saw 6 different groups/couples of cyclists using the lanes, even though they are not even finished. Its going to be really good when done. It looks like ghere will also be some parking facing on that side near parts of the unfinished bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

glenjamin wrote: »
    Yea, let's waste thousands on a needless cycle track yet there's not even a pathway across Three Trouts Bridge. Safety first?!?
    There is a plan in place to widen that bridge and put in a footpath, I presume the work will start "soon".

Apart from that, the most valuable extra piece of infastructure would have been a combined pedestrian/cycle route along the three trouts stream from Charlesland estate to the beach, round the back of the new plastics factory. Its only a few hundred metres and would be really beneficial.
    BTW cyclists don't need dual carriageways; a single cycle lane separated from a single pedestrian lane would be sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Just came across this post and it reminded me that I'd forgotten all about this unique arrangement in local traffic management... I seem to remember one or two heated arguments between drivers who had forgotten the change over dates!

Incidentally , why do the new cycle lanes just end at the hotel ( apologies if this was raised elsewhere ) how are northbound cyclists supposed to proceed? On the narrow path by the harbour? On the road against the flow of traffic? Or left up the terrace? Goodness help any visitor.
    As a piece of official vandalism of a terrific amenity this has to be up there with all the other nonsense that has gone on in this town over the last few years.

Sorry, I've got a bit carried away here, but as a p.s., an elderly person who used the seafront to park and walk a little on a Sunday asked a member of the local talking shop ( sorry town commission ) where he could park now was told " the new parking area at the harbour"! Obviously it escaped this gentleman s notice that the new car park is now used as an overflow for the Beach House and during the summer as a park for motohomes.
    Talking of which, how about a serviced, supervised site for these vehicles on some of the wasteland we are left with at the harbour, or would something of that nature just be too much of a stretch on official imagination....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Obviously it escaped this gentleman s notice that the new car park is now used as an overflow for the Beach House and during the summer as a park for motohomes.
    Talking of which, how about a serviced, supervised site for these vehicles on some of the wasteland we are left with at the harbour, or would something of that nature just be too much of a stretch on official imagination....

I cannot understand why this hasn't been done. There's a huge push on nationally to develop French style "aires" for motor homes and there have been some successes around the country.

All it would take is a few mains hookup sockets and a fresh water tap. A drain for grey water and a sewage emptying point would be a bonus but not essential. People would be happy to pay €10 to park up for the night.

It could be marketed for next to nothing and would become a great attraction for people in motorhomes not to mention a source of revenue for the harbour and local business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Swanner wrote: »
    All it would take is a few mains hookup sockets and a fresh water tap. A drain for grey water and a sewage emptying point would be a bonus but not essential.

presumably the Marina has all these facilities, and there's a load of free space right beside it. So why not get BJ Marine to run it? (Marina is just a posh caravan park for boats, right?)

Jimjay wrote: »
    I was down there at the weekend and saw 6 different groups/couples of cyclists using the lanes, even though they are not even finished. Its going to be really good when done. .

Unfortunately I think you will fine that it is "done". That's the finished product according to the Wicklow Times.

And "done" it seems to be, even though the cycle "lanes" haven't been continued from the entrance to St. David's to the entrance to the south beach pathway, so motorists attending the boot fair on Sunday "rightly in my opinion" decided it was ok to park on this nice new very wide footpath.

It is now neither one thing or the other, it really beggars belief!

And "done" it seems to be, even though the cycle "lanes" haven't been continued from the entrance to St. David's to the entrance to the south beach pathway, so motorists attending the boot fair on Sunday "rightly in my opinion" decided it was ok to park on this nice new very wide footpath.

It is now neither one thing or the other, it really beggars belief!

Clearly you haven't lived in Greystones for long. They can do better!!

That's the problem! I have lived here all my life and nevergot unduly exercised over the workings of local government , maybe that's because there was little to get annoyed about till recent years, or maybe just getting grumpier as the years zip by!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

motorists attending the boot fair on Sunday "rightly in my opinion" decided it was ok to park on this nice new very wide footpath.

why would it be ok to park on the footpath in any circumstances?

At a recent town council meeting a councillor explained that when they saw the plans for this defacement of Marine road, as they are not engineers they looked fine!!! Would it have been out of place to consult an independent engineer or some similar expert instead of accepting it carte blanc.
    Their present position suggests closed stable door and rapidly disappearing horse....

It's surely time , in the case of these sort of projects , for maybe a simplified version of the consultancy process used for development plans, where at least interested parties could express their views with maybe a chance of the majority view being endorsed.

Anyway, can only hope..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Only in Ireland would they put the arrows in the wrong direction..
    Given your track record with round abouts etc, this is only going confuse confused people already..

Complete waste of tax payers money...again..

Still, least the works had a great view doing the work..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭joeduke

This cycle lane is a total waste of time and tax payers money.. before everyone gets up on their high horse I cycle all around Greystones,,, there was no need for this and if you ask me its made thing worse... another disaster is the bike parking bay they put across from the Burnaby, the traffic cant pass because this thing blocks some off the road...

Advertisement