Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone Plans

Options
  • 21-02-2013 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

I thought i would start a new thread for people to discuss the cost of running a mobile phone in canada or offer advice on the whole thing.

I found this site which does good deals for mobile phone plans and discounts for multi-month plans, the unlimited plans only apply in the 5 cities list on their site that is Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto and Ottawa, but their rates and coverage outside of these looks reasonable;

http://mobilicity.ca/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Virgin also do good deals worth checking out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

jeez dude that looks good the 45$ plan looks sweet:D

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

the multi month plan for http://mobilicity.ca/plans/multi-month/
    look very good value.

jeez i didn't even cop that cheers the 55 works out at 44 a month this is even better then the fido deal i was looking at:D

if you went for the best plan at mobilicity for the 24 months its only $33/mo but i reckon not many people would sign up for that, but you can cancel it if you wish and would only lose a months payment, I think other mobile providers would charge more for cancellation.

from http://mobilicity.ca/support/faqs/

If I decide to cancel my Multi-Month payment plan, can I get my money back?

Yes, you may decide to cancel your Multi-Month payment plan at any time – we will prorate your refund based on the remaining time left on your payment plan. However, an administration fee equivalent to one month’s regular plan charge will be debited by Mobilicity. Please note, the process of making this adjustment may take up to 6-8 weeks.

• Advertisement

i might just sign for 6 at a time:D

if this offer is still going
    http://referafriend.mobilicity.ca/

I think I will be referring other people, $10 for referrer and friend also receives $10 for signing up :D

me you and wasterex goes in on this :D and we can rope manfromcheese and maire and a few other peeps who arrive in calgary after us into it to:D

yeah someone has to sign up first and rest will fall in place, its up to a maximum of $50 that include when the friend signs up gets his 10 and can only get 40 after that I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Virgin also do good deals worth checking out

For the love of everything holy don't go with virgin, you won't be a virgin by the time they finish with ya.

I went with them cause they had good deals, was a feckin nightmare. Nearly every bill wrong, randomly disconnecting my phone and impossible to deal with call centre. My bill was meant to be $70 a month but would be up to $160. I was apperntly using 1000 minutes a month even tho the phone log would say well under my 200. I don't call, I text. And added with the fact my GF was the only person I knew in Canada and she was on my free calls list.

Went to telus, same deal, twice the data but without the international texts for the same price and my bill is now what its meant to be.

For international texting get an app called cabbage, it'll allow you to take advantage of an Irish sims free web texts. You can get people to text back to your Canadian number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

Tonto86 wrote: »
    For the love of everything holy don't go with virgin, you won't be a virgin by the time they finish with ya.

I went with them cause they had good deals, was a feckin nightmare. Nearly every bill wrong, randomly disconnecting my phone and impossible to deal with call centre. My bill was meant to be $70 a month but would be up to $160. I was apperntly using 1000 minutes a month even tho the phone log would say well under my 200. I don't call, I text. And added with the fact my GF was the only person I knew in Canada and she was on my free calls list.

Went to telus, same deal, twice the data but without the international texts for the same price and my bill is now what its meant to be.

For international texting get an app called cabbage, it'll allow you to take advantage of an Irish sims free web texts. You can get people to text back to your Canadian number.

Just to add to this, been with virgin for nearly a year now. never had any problems whatsoever. Bills have always been accurate, call centre have been easy to deal with when needed and I've never been over charged. Plus you are on the bell network so good coverage everywhere and they gave me 8gb a month when my plan says 4gb a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

also, from what i understand, dont go with rodgers either. horrible service.
    im with fido, who are actually just rodgers's cheap mobile option, and so far theyve beem ok with no serious trouble with them. However, the gf got a new phone there last week and there are better options out there at the low end of the market in ontario (koodoo & wind), but between disconnection fees, activating simcards, etc its not worth my arse switching to save $5-7 a month.

ive been saying for the 2 years ive been here....canadian phone companies are a disgrace. a cartel if ever i saw one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

The phone networks in Canada are absolute rubbish. Some even charge you to receive text messages and calls while still in Canada. Other charge you extra for caller ID and voicemail.

Canada is at least ten years behind the rest of the civilised world in terms of mobile phone infrastructure.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

does that deal you listed Gary include free Irish and free to receive Irish texts?

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    does that deal you listed Gary include free Irish and free to receive Irish texts?

it appears it does
    http://mobilicity.ca/plans/

its called global text its unlimited from the 35 dollar package up.

grand jobs great to see mate:D it dosnt say doh if its free to relieve them though;)

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    grand jobs great to see mate:D it dosnt say doh if its free to relieve them though;)

I would say its free to to receive them aswell but am not 100% sure, I will have a look around if I can find a definite answer for you.

yea beacue alot of them charge to send and receive i no on fido its free for both:D

I seen this in a other site forum discussion:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1750876-Unlimited-Global-SMS-What-is-quot-Fair-Usage-quot

if you scroll down to the #9 post the poster has sent/received 6000 texts / month and had no problems, so it is looking likely that it is free to send/receive text messages abroad within the unlimited coverage area of course.

Advertisement