Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Car in the US for 3 months

Options
  • 21-02-2013 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

any information on purchasing a car in the US for use for 3 months:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

There are no rules against non-residents purchasing a car......but it can be complicated.

You will need a US address that the car will be registered to, also an address is required for insurance. An easy solution would be to rent a PO Box, but not all companies accept these and would still require a physical address (it's worth inquiring as it would make life easy if they do)

If you can work out a way around it, there's a couple of things to remember.......check how quick the dealership will get you a title, these often take some time to process and you won't be able to re-sell the car until you have a title, there's no reason why you shouldn't have it within 3 weeks, but it can take longer at times.

Also, the price on the windshield is far from the final price you'll pay, tax is not included in advertised prices.....depending on the state, you'll need to add anywhere from 5-10% to the marked price for sales tax and also $200-$500 for processing/title fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What state are you planning on buying the car in OP? All US states have individual Departments of Transport/Motor Vechicles/Driver Services etc etc. Their website will list the steps that you need to take to own and drive a car legally in that state. Each state is separate from each other in that regard. They are not all lumped together the way that they are here. Owning a car could be problematic in a lot of states if you do not have a US drivers license and/or a social security number. If you are able to buy the car, you'll have to pay car tax before you can drive it legally. Car tax is usually a % of the value of the car. Again, the % will vary from state to state.

The car will need to pass an emissions test before it can be sold, and ownership of it transferred to you. The cost of the test isn't dear, but get who ever you buy the car from to throw that test in for free, as the cost of repairs could be very pricey.

Like Ireland, you must have car insurance. The minimum levels of coverage acceptable will vary from state to state. Expect to get hosed on the cost of it unless one of you has an American license & a clean US driving record going back years. Don't be tempted to skip getting insurance as you'll only be in the country a short while. US cops take insurance very, very seriously. There is none of the "bring your proof of insurance to a Garda station within 10 days" malarky that goes on if you are stopped here. If you are stopped in the US, and your tax and tags and insurance are not in order, your car could be impounded, and you could be thrown in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Just reiterate what everyone else said it varies from state to state. In PA you cannot register a car without a PA drivers licence or state ID and you can't get that if you're only here for 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

We need more details. Which State? You can try checking the Department Of Motor vehicles for the particular state.

Whats the budget? If you're spending enough a dealership may be willing to help and you might be able to do it in advance from Ireland. Thats a long shot though.

If I was going to do it...

From Ireland in advance; Check out the craigslist ads for the city you'll be buying in.

Note some of the dealers that advertise and send them an email inquiry.

spideog7 wrote: »
    Just reiterate what everyone else said it varies from state to state. In PA you cannot register a car without a PA drivers licence or state ID and you can't get that if you're only here for 3 months.

Do any states let tourists get drivers licences?

Here in Washington State you can get one in about an hour. Its a multiple choice test and a quick drive around the block. (Its the reason americans are such useless drivers). And they take the picture and you pick it up before you leave.

But because Drivers licences are used in the USA as a primary source of ID, they've clamped down for political anti-immigration reasons. SO i'm not sure what the current state of affairs is.

When I first arrived in California in the 80's, i got one as soon as I had an address. The only restriction was the address really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Most states, and i emphasis "most", require proof of residency in order to get a license, in my case, in Indiana and then Ohio, i had to produce my green card as proof of legal residency in the US prior to being issued a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

In Texas I also had to prove residency and I only got a licence valid until my visa expired and because my visa was renewed annually that meant lots of trips to DMV. You can drive for a year on a foreign license in Texas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

As a possible alternative check out the small local car rental companies when you get there. Ask them for a good deal on 3 months rental for an older car, hopefully you will get an okay price.
    As with any short term car purchase the big problem may be when you have to get rid of it and you only have a few days to sell it.

deandean wrote: »
    As a possible alternative check out the small local car rental companies when you get there. Ask them for a good deal on 3 months rental for an older car, hopefully you will get an okay price.

Thats a great idea.

Rent-a-wreck is a good startting place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Yea I was actually surprised how good the DMV system was, it was linked directly to the SEVIS system so it had to be a legit visa and my drivers license expires the same day my visa does. Also I managed to fail my drivers test here twice even though it was ridiculously easy, I passed first go at home!

Also be aware that because of the whole economic crises and the lack of new car leases and purchases over the past 5 years the used car market is very competitive and there is a general shortage of used cars.

• Advertisement
Advertisement