Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity

Options
  • 21-02-2013 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

A tenant who was renting a house from me left without giving me notice. I always used ESB, and while the tenant was in the house they changed to Airtricity. Then, before they moved house, they changed the name on the Airtricity bill to my name (spelt incorrectly too btw). When I called down to the property, the electricity had been disconnected. I rang Airtricity and asked them how they could have set a contract up for me without speaking to me. They didn't even have my phone no.! They wanted €150 to reconnect, but I got reconnected back to ESB for €70. Now Airtricity are sending me solicitors letters looking for €112. Where this figure came from I do not know. I have already told them that I did not believe I had a contract with them, because there was no offer and acceptance between us. I don't want to waste money on solicitors over such a small amount, but feel strongly that I shouldn't have to pay them a penny.
    Anyone have experience of this type of situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

Nothing Airtricity does surprises me. They deal in forked lightning if you get my meaning. You should seek the advice of consumer affairs and CER, the electricity regulator as I believe Airtricity have acted illegally.

Hitbit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

just on a side note, our landlord warned us that we are not to change suppliers because the last tenant changed to airtricity and never paid the bills and hence disconnected. He reconnected using esb and gais however airtricity letters arrive the whole time for last tenant! OH rang because she was sick of sending letters back and girl on phone said that they can't stop the letters. OH told them tenant is gone, they should have gotten a deposit and its not our problem but made airtricity look bad to us and all our friends. Amazingly the letters stopped..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

THE VERY SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME.
    Listen up. A few facts.
    The tenant cannot put your name on the bill. Nor can you put their name on the bill. Data protection laws.
    The solution is simple.
    Ring Airtricity and ask them to send you a signed copy of your contract.
    They wont be able to.
    You don't owe them anything.
    These Fu**ers will stop at nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭lougholad

i would gaurentee that there is no contract and this is why the house was de energised. I would imagine that the name on the bill says new occuppier with your name in brackets. 140e is the amount charge for a disconnection re connection. 70e for each. as your property was dis connected with airtricity Esb only charged for the re connection. its all very simple really I have been a landlord for a long time. All company practice is the same. they normaly leave a premises active with electric for 14days after someone closes the account and if knowone takes legal ownership of the account (landlord or new tennant) withion this period it is de energised. i think you will find bord gais and elec ireland have the exact same rule. its so there is no elec getting given to an empty hous. big fire hazzard

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - do not go off topic with general rants about Airtricity, Stick to this particular topic.

dudara

• Advertisement
Advertisement