Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sport/clubs

Options
  • 21-02-2013 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi.

I would could fellow boardsies in or around Galway help me out. I am currently looking for a new hobby and am wondering what options i have around Galway besides the obviously populsr GAA clubs, drinking, etc...

I'm in my mid-twenties, male and open to suggestions :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Scuba diving. Go for it. couple of options to join a club which will train you. Great sport, and great camaraderie.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Wil Tierney

jamesdiver wrote: »
    Scuba diving. Go for it. couple of options to join a club which will train you. Great sport, and great camaraderie.

That sounds like it'd be a laugh. Bit expensive to get gear though. Maybe i'm wrong. I wouldn't know tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 matchball

I started tag rugby last summer and really enjoyed it, the new season will be starting in St. Mary's in a few weeks (Spring league).
    You could also try indoor soccer, tennis, basketball, maybe join a gym and do some classes (spinning etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

matchball wrote: »
    I started tag rugby last summer and really enjoyed it, the new season will be starting in St. Mary's in a few weeks (Spring league).
    You could also try indoor soccer, tennis, basketball, maybe join a gym and do some classes (spinning etc).

Have you got any more details regarding the tag rugby? How would I find a team?

Would love tag rugby, indoor soccer, etc but unfortunately would know enough people to get a team together. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Advertisement

Would love tag rugby, indoor soccer, etc but unfortunately would know enough people to get a team together. Thanks for the suggestion though.

You don't need a team to sign up for tag. You can sign up as an individual and they will put you on a team. See the below link for further details.

http://www.tagrugby.ie/Find-A-Team.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

galway have a rugby league team, easier to get used to then union. training starts right after easter and games in may. im going playing for them this year

swiftman wrote: »
    galway have a rugby league team, easier to get used to then union. training starts right after easter and games in may. im going playing for them this year

Any more details on that? Website etc? Never played full contact before but would be interested if there is a 'beginner' training or something similar.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Brazilian jiu jitsu / mixed martial arts - get super fit, have a bit of craic and become a trained killer into the bargain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Any more details on that? Website etc? Never played full contact before but would be interested if there is a 'beginner' training or something similar.

Cheers

this is there facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galway-Rugby-League/198687133488812?fref=ts

you can message them for more info or just read there comments on the side to confirm when training is starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Cycling, kayaking/canoeing, windsurfing, squash, what kind of sport are you looking for? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

tag is a great social way to meet people too. and good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

That sounds like it'd be a laugh. Bit expensive to get gear though. Maybe i'm wrong. I wouldn't know tbh.

You can usually rent the gear through a scuba club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

heard there is an american football team here in galway.anyone got any info on it? the hubbie would like to play

Brad768 wrote: »
    Cycling, kayaking/canoeing, windsurfing, squash, what kind of sport are you looking for? :)

Ideally something team based or something where you train with other people. I do some jogging at the min but find it lacking in social interaction

fifib wrote: »
    heard there is an american football team here in galway.anyone got any info on it? the hubbie would like to play

I've about this. Sounds cool. Anyone got more info??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Ideally something team based or something where you train with other people. I do some jogging at the min but find it lacking in social interaction

Its only lacking in social interaction if you're on your own, so I would suggest joining a club.
    All the ACs in Galway have group training sessions.
    If you're city based, GCH have sessions for all levels, beginner to internationals pretty much every night of the week.
    Outside that, there's Athenry, Loughrea, Tuam, Maree (Oranmore), Clare River Harriers(Claregalway), Craughwell, South Galway (Gort).

There are some great races throughout the county and further afield and once you get to know a few people, it all becomes a big social meetup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

There's also the likes of the white collar boxing; I did the Irish Heart Foundation one last year, and a few of us are back doing it again this year. There's a great bunch of friendly people doing it (friendly until you're toe to toe in the ring that is!!).

We do it in Black Dragon on the Tuam Road, and Pete there organises a few different events himself.

Some pics from various Big Fight Night training nights around the country; the local on are the pics from Black Dragon.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/BigHeartFight?fref=ts

Some more pics.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/108431205953735/

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭synacron trion

Would you be interested in playing inline hockey? We've a club in Galway, training Monday nights (in Maree) and Wednesday nights (in Mervue). We play in the national league against clubs in Cork, Kilkenny, Waterford, Dublin, and Longford.

http://www.facebook.com/galwaybaylightning

Advertisement