Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is credit card overlimit fee justified

Options
  • 21-02-2013 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Reposting this since my other thread was moved to the Bank of Ireland forum for some strange reason. I wanted the opinion of other forum users, not the opinion of bank of ireland employees.

Bank of Ireland has charged me €7.50 for my credit card being over the limit. Here are the term & conditions in relation to overlimit fees:

"Overlimit fee
    You are charged an overlimit fee in relation to any statement
    period in which an overlimit position occurred. (If you go over
    your credit limit, your card may be declined when you try to
    use it.)"

NOTE: This is a straight copy and paste from the terms and conditions.

Background to this:
    I carried an overlimit balance into the current billing period. On my Jan 18th statement, I was charged an overlimit fee of €7.50 and I had one transaction during the January billing period. So, from reading the terms and conditions, "an overlimit position occurred" due to the transaction I had.

I paid my card in full on Jan 29th. I did not have any transactions on my account between Jan 18th and Jan 29th.

My new statement was issued on Feb. 18th and there was an overlimit fee of €7.50 applied to my account.

So my question is:
    Based on what the terms and conditions state, did "an overlimit position occur" on my account that would justify BOI charging me a €7.50 overlimit fee?

From my perspective, the overlimit position occurred during the Jan billing period and not the February period. The key word here is occurred and what this actually means.

I have an outstanding query with BOI on this but just wanted to see if anyone else agrees with how I have interpreted the terms and conditions and how I have defined what "occurrence means".

I would have though that the terms and conditions would say the following instead:

"You are charged an overlimit fee in relation to any statement period in which the balance of your card is over the credit limit." (if this is what the t&c's stated, then they could justify charging me).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Please don't cross post.

The Talk To..forum thread can also be replied to by users.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement