Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling Domains - What Price To Quote Interested Buyer?

Options
  • 21-02-2013 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I have a bunch of domains which I put up on Sedo last week. I won't get to use most of them, so I figured I might as well get them up there and see who bites.

Well, only a matter of hours ago I got a request over email for a 'desired price' for one of the domains in particular. They are 'very interested' in the domain (their words) and the person also asked if I could email a list of other domains, if I have them, and their respective prices.

The domain they are very interested in is a very good one, crisp and snappy, rolls off the tongue and I was surprised at the time I bought it that it was still available.

Now, I did a search on this person and there's no sign of his company email address, or wherever he's emailing from. I'm going to reply and say all the domains are up on Sedo, I would only sell through there anyway. Now, I have Sedo's suggested price attached to this domain, it happens to be €299. This is just an automated estimate of course though, based off their algorithm.

Should I raise this price, now that I know there is definite interest? I can see that the domain in question had a view, it may have been this person or someone else.

All tips welcome - I've never done this before :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Talk to Sedo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

How much did you pay for the domain?

You raise the price and your one prospect walks away thinking you're just being greedy, then you have nothing. If you have two or more bidders then the market decides the price.

I've heard on the grapevine that some estate agents are susceptible to using phantom bidders to increase offers for houses. I'd say it takes nerves of steel though.

I don't know Sedo but does it have a transparent auction facility?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Blacknight wrote: »
    Talk to Sedo

Contacted them and they basically just said to exercise caution and direct them towards Sedo or another trusted marketplace - what I would be doing anyway.

The guy is calling himself 'Jim Smith, CEO of Company X', but neither a search on his company name or his own name brings back anything. So not sure if I'll even reply to the email...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

riveratom wrote: »
    Contacted them and they basically just said to exercise caution and direct them towards Sedo or another trusted marketplace - what I would be doing anyway.

The guy is calling himself 'Jim Smith, CEO of Company X', but neither a search on his company name or his own name brings back anything. So not sure if I'll even reply to the email...?

I'd recommend using a broker unless the domain is pretty low value eg. under €500

See: http://blog.blacknight.com/getting-a-domain-name-thats-already-registered.html and http://blog.blacknight.com/acquiring-an-unavailable-domain-name-on-your-own.html

They're both about acquiring domains, but the same basic rules would apply :)

Advertisement