Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever rang 999?

• 21-02-2013 11:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭

I keep having this dream, more of a nightmare actually, where I have to ring 999 to get an ambulance, then it struck me that its something we will more than likely have to so at some stage; so have you?

Have you ever rang 999? 250 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    72% 180 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    28% 70 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yes.

Thread been done loads of times before OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I havent. But I keep having this re-occuring dream where I have to call 999.

But I literally am unable to type it into my phone. Either the touch screen keeps getting it wrong, or the phone just autocorrects etc. I keep trying and trying and trying, desperately but I'm unable to and start panicking.

Its weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Well for some.

My nightmare from last night involved me slowly cutting my bollox off and feeding it to a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Only 112 as an stupid immature young boy.
    Thankfully I've never need to dial the emergency services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It's 112 you want. Ditch 999.

Dialed 112 for the gards a year ago. I was put through to 3 different operators and then my local station again I got to who I needed to talk to. I'm glad it wasn't an armed raid I was reporting as it would be long over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I rang it when I was a kid to report a stolen Mars bar by my sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭7 7 12

Of course and I would encourage everyone to do so, some people are afraid that they'll get "given out" to because their issue might not be considered an emergency or whatever but it's better to be safe than sorry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭Cereal Number

I was ringing 112 long before it was mainstream

/hipster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Actually both still work, and I presume the majority still use 999. 112 is just a european number you can use anywhere in the continent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Yep. Terrible situation, luckily the ambulance got there in time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭Cereal Number

mfceiling wrote: »
    Yes.

Someone ring 999 and inform the repitition police! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Twice.

Once in my line of work for an ambulance, and once for a fire in a building across from where I lived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Actually both still work, and I presume the majority still use 999. 112 is just a european number you can use anywhere in the continent.

112 is a digital service and they can track the dailed location if you drop the phone. They can't with 999.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ashers22

I ring it all the time, unintentionally. I have a ****ty fone that dials sos when it unlocks itself in my pocket. I feel absolutely terrible about it and apologise profusely, god only knows what the poor operator on the other end thinks is happening to me as I do my weekly shop in tesco. If you're an emergency operator and reading this I am truly sorry, I will buy a new fone soon I promise.

(actually had to ring once in real life for my uncle who thought his house was on fire, it wasn't but they came anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I knew the number of my local Garda station so I rang that instead. They arrived 90 seconds later, being just down the road.

Fuq da 999.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Minoxidil

Yea a few months ago I was walking my dog when he had a violent seizure and went unconscious for twenty minutes. I thought he was going to die. I rang 999 but got cut off due to a bad signal. Luckily some polish guy walking by lent me his phone. A fire engine came and collected him due to our location. He's ok now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Yes, many times. Caring for sick relatives it became an all too common thing, yet everytime they showed the patience of saints and always reacted with amazing clarity and good advice. Fantastic people, and despite my internet anonymity I say a heartfelt thanks for all your help over many difficult and painful years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Had to dial 999 for an ambulance a couple of years ago. The guy on the other end asking a lot of questions so as he could send the appropriate resource. All the while, my neighbour who was after having a heart attack was literally dying in front of me. Scary ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

About 8 times over the last few years Gardai&Fire service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

I did today ...! Well, rang my local - very far away branch now!:rolleyes:

Was driving home from work and saw two weirdos running across main road with two dogs on leads. A black greyhound and a "Lassie" type dog. Didnt think anything of it until just as I was passing the car they were going to parked at the side of the road, they opened the boot and literally as I was passing by I noticed other animals in the boot and them shoving the two dogs in there too!:eek:

When I copped on to what was probably going on I tried to get their Car Reg in my mirror, but car behind me blocked my view. I pulled in a bit further hoping the GREEN TOYOTA PROB 97/98 VINTAGE would be heading my way and I could get the reg. but no joy. I phoned the Gardai anyway.

Really hate that - if you'd seen how many animals were in the boot of that saloon car - how scared they must have been and how many owners have lost their pets - that's just VERY BAD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭narwhalthe

I once did by mistake. It was my first driving lesson with this bloke, and when in the car he started laughing and asked was my phone going off. I laughed and said no it must be his. The two of us sat there laughing for like 5 seconds, then I realised my phone had called emergency services while in my pocket. I held the phone up to my ear and the guy was going mad at me saying hang up. Was a genuine mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Yes once. Walking home I came across an old woman who had fallen down outside my house. She said she couldn't get up. Turned out she was an alcoholic and didnt have a clue were she was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

Minoxidil wrote: »
    Yea a few months ago I was walking my dog when he had a violent seizure and went unconscious for twenty minutes. I thought he was going to die. I rang 999 but got cut off due to a bad signal. Luckily some polish guy walking by lent me his phone. A fire engine came and collected him due to our location. He's ok now.
    Dog. 999. Wrong, on so many levels.. And the "Some polish guy", also wrong, on many levels... I may actually not like you a little bit more now than I didn't know you a minute ago. I'm sure you and the dog are bothered.. Also, "fire engine"/"dog"...jasus wept...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

yes

on 3 occasions,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Dwork wrote: »
    Dog. 999. Wrong, on so many levels.. And the "Some polish guy", also wrong, on many levels... I may actually not like you a little bit more now than I didn't know you a minute ago. I'm sure you and the dog are bothered.. Also, "fire engine"/"dog"...jasus wept...

What's wrong with saving a dog...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Yep I have for a granny driving a cart down the wrong side of the N3. They got her in the end... and probably beat her up with a phone book in the cells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Twice, both incidents involving the luas, I no longer take the luas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Loads and loads of times unfortunately, for guards, ambulance and fire service. Mostly while in work but the last time, I was walking home from a friend's house at about 3 in the morning. I saw somebody's shed on fire so rang up. I didn't even know the name of the street but there was a GAA club nearby I knew the name of. There was an old woman in the house and she wouldn't answer because she thought I was a robber. Eventually the neighbours came out because one of them was a fireman and got the call. I wouldn't mind but a few cars passed (even slowed down) but not one stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I found it quicker to ring the local garda station as they know the area better than some jackeen in an office in dublin:D the garda, fire service or ambulance arrive a lot faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Rang them twice in my life. First time two drunk lads had been walking around the train station punching random people. And the second time I saw some young lads breaking into cars at night and robbing stuff inside.

Both times I rang the police they never showed up and the police station was literally 5 minutes away by foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I ring the local garda station if I want a guard
    The local hospital if I want an ambulance
    The local DIY store if I want the fire brigade
    My cousin if I want the coast guard

999 is just another quango in this country, and I wouldn't ring it if my life depended on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Where To wrote: »
    I ring the local garda station if I want a guard
    The local hospital if I want an ambulance
    The local DIY store if I want the fire brigade
    My cousin if I want the coast guard

999 is just another quango in this country, and I wouldn't ring it if my life depended on it.

Edgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I've called it a couple of times, but only when there was no other option, if it's not an emergency but I think it's something that the gardai should know about I'll just call the local station so they can look at it whenever they deem fit or when they have the time.

My dad was an EMT for years, so I got a pretty serious education in emergency services rules when I was growing up. Only call them if it's a legitimate emergency and there's something they can actually do about it. Just because something might need to be brought to the attention of the authorities, does not mean it is necessarily an emergency, if it doesn't need immediate attention, it's not an emergency. Every minute of their time that is wasted could mean they aren't available for someone who really needs them. You honestly wouldn't believe some of the insane stuff that people actually call 999 for, and anybody who crank calls 999 for a laugh should be prosecuted for endangering lives of members of the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

mfceiling wrote: »
    Yes.

sure bump it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Quite a few times on an old Nokia that wouldn't lock properly........it's amazing what happens to a phone in your pocket :D

But only phoned once seriously - friend was seriously ill and needed an ambulance. Arrived within 10 minutes of phoning so fair play to the drivers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Eden3 wrote: »
    I did today ...! Well, rang my local - very far away branch now!:rolleyes:

Was driving home from work and saw two weirdos running across main road with two dogs on leads. A black greyhound and a "Lassie" type dog. Didnt think anything of it until just as I was passing the car they were going to parked at the side of the road, they opened the boot and literally as I was passing by I noticed other animals in the boot and them shoving the two dogs in there too!:eek:

When I copped on to what was probably going on I tried to get their Car Reg in my mirror, but car behind me blocked my view. I pulled in a bit further hoping the GREEN TOYOTA PROB 97/98 VINTAGE would be heading my way and I could get the reg. but no joy. I phoned the Gardai anyway.

Really hate that - if you'd seen how many animals were in the boot of that saloon car - how scared they must have been and how many owners have lost their pets - that's just VERY BAD!

Where did this happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Yes,many times.Grand for ambulance/fire because the fire brigade lads on the phone seem to know how to do their job.

Ring the station if I want an anyway timely Garda response.Last time I rang 999 for the Gardai it took the girl in control 3 minutes to figure out where my estate is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Once for the fire brigade.

The two times I needed the gardaí I just ring the local station
    They know the area and it's easier then ringing some control centre in Navan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Yes,many times.Grand for ambulance/fire because the fire brigade lads on the phone seem to know how to do their job.

Ring the station if I want an anyway timely Garda response.Last time I rang 999 for the Gardai it took the girl in control 3 minutes to figure out where my estate is.

When you ring 999 you can ask to be put through to a specific Garde station, and there's no call charges by calling through the 999 service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Had to do it once, a dude I worked with collapsed out of the blue, I dialled 999 got an ambulance, ands when it arrived ten minutes later, he was up and walking around without a bother on him. Turned out he had epilepsy and told nobody, and had taken a fit.
    None of us knew what to do :/.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Minoxidil

Dwork wrote: »

It was actually my Dad who had the seizure. My mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

My naive 15 year old self had 999 on speed dial (Yes, I know it's odd), and I accidentally dialled 999 from my pocket due to that.

Yes, a few years ago when I was waiting at a bus stop in Galway after doing a grocery shop. Over walks a group of black teenagers - laughing and joking and being noisy like normal teenagers. Then another walks over, who is walking kinda funny, so the others thought this was hilarious - one remarking she had had too much drugs. She drops to her knees and lays down on the ground, which they thought was even more funny; pretty much rolling on the ground laughing. Until one of them bent down beside her and started screaming and screaming - there was blood coming out of her nose and mouth and she wasn't responding to anything they were doing. So I call for an ambulance, at which point only two of the six that was with her originally remained - the rest had pegged it. Before the ambulance arrived, she had woken up, but was still extremely groggy.

Never did find out what had happened to her ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Ok..... I'll bite.....

Yes, a few years ago when I was waiting at a bus stop in Galway after doing a grocery shop. Over walks a group of black teenagers ...

?????? :confused::confused:
    Was it relevant that they were black?
    Dont get me wrong, I'm no lefty I'll throw the awl racist joke out once a while but , really?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭madmammy

yes had to ring them 15yrs ago to get an ambulance for my sister who was in labour with my neice and a few weeks ago my hubby had to ring one for me because i was choking on food :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Minoxidil wrote: »
    It was actually my Dad who had the seizure. My mistake.

You were walking your dad on a leash? That's pretty kinky even by my standards..

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I keep having this dream, more of a nightmare actually, where I have to ring 999 to get an ambulance, then it struck me that its something we will more than likely have to so at some stage; so have you?

What a stupid thread. Way too much time on yer hands OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

rang 112 a couple of years ago when a guy jumped into the liffey trying to kill himself. they told me they had already been informed about the incident and they were on their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Sure have, a very drunk neighbour got out of a taxi outside my house and fell, banging his head so hard I heard the bang from my living room. I got outside and all the blood frightened me so it took a few goes to type number on keypad with shaky hands. Got there in the end though. Still waiting for him to pop in and say thanks :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement