Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever rang 999?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

911 works too. But 112 is the real one.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

Yes, when I got a toe rang trying to break into my gaff. Took the cops 20 mins to get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

Minoxidil wrote: »
    It was actually my Dad who had the seizure. My mistake.
    No, I think you'll find the mistake was mine. Dad + seizure + 999 = jasus, I hope they arrived on time and everything was ok.

How did you get dog from dad? If I'd known, I wouldn't have unleashed such a wuff response- canine ever apologise enough fur my biting reply?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

i had to call myself an ambulance about 10 years ago after my left lung collapsed for the second time. was hooked up to an oxygen tank with a spigot valve stuck in my chest for the journey then the bell jar while i was in hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Once, after a car accident I was in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Twice. Once when there was like 3 bins on fire outside an empty house in my estate and once when I was like paralyzed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Actually rang them Tuesday but just rang the local number. Some old creepy man rang my bell(several times) I opened the door thinking it was my nephew as he always does that. But this guy was soo creepy and was selling a "back massager" I told him no and closed the door but watched him out the window looking in neighbors Windows. Immediately rang the guards and posted about it on the neighborhood facebook page.

The guard was really nice and I saw them driving around a few mins later.

• Site Banned Posts: 71 ✭✭Zer0

Yeah, I was nearly killed off the road by some clown driving like a looper.. the passenger in the passenger seat was leaning out the window slapping people as they drove by... very strange stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

Yush, there was an accident near Tower Bridge, London between a motorcyclist and a pickup truck, this was years ago.

Was asked to whether the motorcyclist was still alive and told to tell him to stay still (usual accident routine)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yeah, a few times. We used to live in a part of Birmingham that was next to a rough as fcuk area, and got broken into about once a month, and ringing the police became normal.

Also had to ring 999 for an ambulance a few months back. Part of me thought 'you're being stupid, you'll be fine', but I'm glad I rang, dread to think what could have happened otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Have called it twice.. Once when I was a kid, my neighbour knocked in screaming that her baby grandson had stopped breathing so I rang 999 while my mam went to help. She managed to save his life cause the same thing happened to me when I was a baby so she knew what to do to get him breathing again but I had no clue what to do on the call to the operator- think I was only 10 at the time.

Pretty freaked out by it but was a happy ending thank god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Rang an ambulance for a lady who had tripped on a broken bollard and smashed her head off the pavement and the fire brigade for a couple of times. Once they told me the fire had already been reported, but the second time I was the first who called in - about a building in the middle of town that had smoke coming out of it for 20 minutes. Too many people assuming someone else had already rung in I guess.

Had to ring it years ago when I was 13. My older brother went up to the attic for me. I had beaten him in Going For Gold (I got more questions right as we played along to the telly programme) and my prize was that he would go up to get me a jumper that he had put up there years previous. When he got up there, he tripped and held on to the light fixture to steady himself but his other hand went into the water tank and he was electrocuted. I was at the top of the ladder looking in. I jumped down and ran downstairs but in a blind panic couldn't seem to ring 999.

Every time I tried I kept getting the incorrect number tone. It was back in the olden days pre everyone having touch tone phones where you dialed the number and had to wait for the circular dial to go back to the original position. I suppose I was trying to ring the number too quick. I ended up having to run to a neighbours house and call the ambulance from there.

The ambulance guys couldn't get access to the attic and needed the fire brigade.

I dunno, I keep thinking that perhaps if I had managed to call from my house or if I had properly explained the logistics of what had happened maybe they might have arrived sooner or had the correct equipment needed to help him in the attic, he might still be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I rang it once when I was suffering from an appendicitis and I was home alone with no one to take me to the hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I had to call it once for my flatmate who got stuck in the lift in our building. It was a Sunday and there was noone around, I tried the callout number on the lift door, tried our letting agency but no-one was in on a Sunday obviously so rang 112 and got the Fire Brigade to come out.

They were sound out and got him out of the lift in no time, something about a manual release for lifts on the roof. They had a set of keys I've never seen the likes of, had a key for every kind of lock I'd imagine.

The original call was a strange one as I was speaking to someone two counties away and then had to describe how to get to our building over the phone to her for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Yea, ambulance was out to us in under 20 mins was a very fast response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

had to ring an ambulance for my nanny who was having a seizure in her bed. that was less than a week ago and she's still in hospital.

about 9 months ago i found a lad lying on the ground in dun laoghaire, up one of the side streets and rang an ambulance for him. i was still sitting in my car when i rang 999 and the operator asked me to check see if he was still alive. he was but there was blood coming from his head and on the ground. i think he was locked and fell over.

rang 999 a few other times aswel, once for a fire, once cos me aul lad had mad pains, and once cos i saw a lad overdose on drugs!

i think thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I've only had to do it once, hopefully never again. Been there for other instances where I've told others to do it.

My son had a stroke at 5 months old. My family were all abroad and I was in my parents house at the time. Scariest day of my life!
    I called 112 though.

I was performing CPR on a lady while someone else called 999.
    I was helping a girl who was having a seizure while someone else called 999.
    I was chasing after a man who had just mugged a lady, and My friend called 999.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

ashers22 wrote: »
    I ring it all the time, unintentionally. I have a ****ty fone that dials sos when it unlocks itself in my pocket. I feel absolutely terrible about it and apologise profusely, god only knows what the poor operator on the other end thinks is happening to me as I do my weekly shop in tesco. If you're an emergency operator and reading this I am truly sorry, I will buy a new fone soon I promise.

(actually had to ring once in real life for my uncle who thought his house was on fire, it wasn't but they came anyway)

Same here. LG phone. 2 knocks in the same place will dial 999 even from locked. I've done it 3-4 times now. It's a serious nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Boo2112

chakotha wrote: »

Same here. LG phone. 2 knocks in the same place will dial 999 even from locked. I've done it 3-4 times now. It's a serious nuisance.
    My first phone had an emergency button! I remember I hit off it one day and hung up as soon as I heard a voice in my pocket. Cried and turned the phone off for about 2 weeks cause I was convinced they'd track me down and arrest me for wasting their time :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I had to a few times.

The first time was as a child when a neighbours house was on fire.

Another time when my grandad was having a heart attack.

Another when I seen a doing somersaults in the middle of the night.

Once a random, drunk person was asleep, naked in my bed when we came home.

Another time when I was in a bad accident myself.

Again when someone robbed me when I stopped my car.

On two separate occasions when I seen a fire in an industrial estate in the middle of the night.

When I seen a school on fire in the middle of the night. - Someone else was already there when I seen it, at that stage all you could see was the flashing lights and sound of the fire alarm, but they were afraid to call incase they get stung with the fire brigade fee if it was a false alarm. (I drive a lot late at night when there is no one else around)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

I rang them three times.

Once when my sister was in an accident, another time when the chemist across the road from me was being robbed and the third time someone had thrown a petrol bomb into a car across the road from me.

Advertisement