Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cork city housing?

Options
  • 21-02-2013 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all posted thread here few months back as Im renting an apartment that was full of damp and nothing was being done about it, well 4 months later i still havent found anywhere else, and landlord decided to get someone to paint the damp last tuesday! Anyway my lease is up in 3 weeks, thank god as I wont be breaking a lease and he will have to give me a reference, but thing is there is no where around my area accep:mad:ting rent allowance, im at wits end, my daughter has been on 4 anti biotics since november due to respotory issues and has also been on steriods, i brought her doctors letters to city hall but they dont care, wrote to Micheal Martin got nothing back, got onto counsellors and sent them photos of the chronic damp on my walls, no satisfaction, wondering if i tell city hall i have a few weeks until lease is up and I have nowhere to go will they care? Doubtful....:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

it is very annoying what some landlords get away with.Did you register with PRTB if you have you should report the landlord if all he is doing Is painting over it, sounds like ours, his a plonker.

You could try city hall but I don't know if they will come back to you, best off trying 96fm of something like that. Or get the local councillers on twitter or something like that, they are not long answering when everyone can see the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Have you looked outside your area for somewhere that accepts rent allowance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I remember your other thread. I take it the LL still hasn't bothered his barney to take your problems seriously?

Did you ever get hold of Environmental Health? As I pointed out to you, you need to do that. Get a copy of the report, copies of the doctor's letters, copies of any other correspondence you have and take them down to the CWO. Tell them your lease is about to expire and that you'll effectively be homeless. The CWO may be able to help with the deposit and first month's rent.

What did City Hall say? Are you being pushed up the list now? They won't give you a place straight away, but you should be a priority. But you have to keep pushing them. In saying that, don't go in there shouting the odds, and don't get stroppy. Keep calm and ask them the exact status of your application.

The idea about Twitter is a good one. If your councillors are anything like mine, don't bother with FB. My counsillor went on a course to learn about FB, (costing taxpayer's money) then promptly shut down the page! I know for a fact Micheal Martin has a Twitter account and so does Jerry Buttimer to name but two of the TD's for Cork SC.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 zoe88

thanks for replying people, no my landlord didnt bother his arse to do anything, sent down a handy man that must be in his late 60s, to paint over it, and wash it down, lol. my daughter is sick now again, her tonsils are constantly at her and her chest, she is only 2, anyways my lease is up soon so onto better things i hope, i havent looked outside my area really, cos i dont want to settle for somewhere else, i mean i am looking at surrounding areas. twitter does sound like a good idea, as micheal martin didnt reply to my email, and neither did the head of housing, who i emailed 3 times with pics etc of dampness. The city hall said they will keep it on file, but i will be going back in asking whats my status as I do think Im priorty, and only cos of the fact I do know people that have been housed after 2 years even though the waiting lists are much higher... was thinking of ringing 96 fm but really want to keep it private, even though the outcome of going on radio would be helpful i suppose. just dont know what to do, stalking the property sites at the moment:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Couple of things. Every kid is sick this winter with chest problems. It is unreal this year.
    When you say you don't want to settle for something else what do you mean? You are renting and on rent allowance but not willing to move areas. What area do you want?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

From memory, OP lives in Blackrock. See here.

It is difficult, if not impossible to find anywhere in that area that'll take RA. At the time, the OP was unwilling to consider other areas.

Did you try the prtb yet, even register and take up a complaint with them.It might take a while but at least you may get some satisfaction if something does come out it. I think perhaps you should open up the area you are willing to travel too, if it is making your child sick there is no distance too far. Shame you don't want to rent afar I know two houses that would accept RA but they are about an hour outside cork. You could try daft also put an advert up on it yourself saying what you are looking for and you someone might contact you with a place..

Im aware that kids get sick but i think i know my own child, if shes going to be on steroids with her chest and ant biotics non stop i do think its the mould on her walls that may have something to do with t, thanks for your input though.

No havent spoken to them, went to threshold and the gency I got this place from with my photos and doctors letters, they were appalled but yet i got no satisfaction, and when i say i dont want to settle for somewhere i dont want, as in northside, country etc, i dont drive, just to clear things up there. Im living in Blackrock now and have been looking at all the surrounding areas eg douglas, ballinlough, mahon...etc

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hedgehog21

Ludo wrote: »
    Couple of things. Every kid is sick this winter with chest problems. It is unreal this year.
    When you say you don't want to settle for something else what do you mean? You are renting and on rent allowance but not willing to move areas. What area do you want?

Not to the extent of steroids and antibiotics, for months on end which is quite frankly dangerous.
    Send yout TD a registered letter, if he signs for it and still nothing then go higher again.
    I'd also consider giving prender a call, he seems to be able to light a fire under their arses when needs be.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

zoe88 wrote: »
    No havent spoken to them, went to threshold and the gency I got this place from with my photos and doctors letters, they were appalled but yet i got no satisfaction, and when i say i dont want to settle for somewhere i dont want, as in northside, country etc, i dont drive, just to clear things up there. Im living in Blackrock now and have been looking at all the surrounding areas eg douglas, ballinlough, mahon...etc

I do have to ask, whats wrong with northside? Considering the hassle of the place you're currently in, surely any place is better no?

Im aware that kids get sick but i think i know my own child, if shes going to be on steroids with her chest and ant biotics non stop i do think its the mould on her walls that may have something to do with t, thanks for your input though.

I didn't mean that it wasn't the mould making your kid sick, it does sound like it is which was the no distance to far comment. There are very serious illness from mould you should get out even stay with a friend or something asap.

Say again you best bets are the persturing the local councillor. Fine they are all muppets but Buttimer doesn't seem too bad. Just perster him even put sign up around the place which pictures.. The more noise you make about it the better..

hedgehog21 wrote: »
    I do have to ask, whats wrong with northside? Considering the hassle of the place you're currently in, surely any place is better no?

agree tis only that you are not used to it

Do you mind me asking what your budget is with renting

nothing wrong with northside, i am born and bred southside and do not drive. theres your answer.

And milly that comment about my child being sick wasnt directed at you at all it was just another comment onm someone saying kids get sick.
    anyway i have been on to local counsellor laura she told me i am running out of options, viewing a place later today hopefully im lucky!!

hedgehog21 wrote: »
    Not to the extent of steroids and antibiotics, for months on end which is quite frankly dangerous.
    Send yout TD a registered letter, if he signs for it and still nothing then go higher again.
    I'd also consider giving prender a call, he seems to be able to light a fire under their arses when needs be.

Best of luck.

Cheers for that

nothing wrong with northside, i am born and bred southside and do not drive. theres your answer.

And milly that comment about my child being sick wasnt directed at you at all it was just another comment onm someone saying kids get sick.
    anyway i have been on to local counsellor laura she told me i am running out of options, viewing a place later today hopefully im lucky!!
    I do understand what you mean, but I dont drive and have to travel to the other side of the city for work.
    Cheers for that

No problemo.

Shame on Laura that she has not helped you more..Fecks sake there isn't much they would have to do to get the ball rolling.. Very disappointed with her since she got elected, she does nothing but mmm nothing.. Best of luck with the viewing.. I just spotted an apartment on daft might be worth a look one was http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1309086 and the other http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1307262

Advertisement