Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile killing WiFi N speeds

Options
  • 21-02-2013 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭

I'm using a TP-Link TL-MR3420 300Mbps 3G/4G Wireless N router and getting 25mb on WiFi N but when the OH mobile a Samsung Ace II connects all the wifi clients drop to 3mb. The Ace II is WiFi N can't get exact specs so it might be 150 not 300, but seems odd it would drop everything to 3mb.

Wired connections using a Powerline adapter aren't affected.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

OH has older wifi standard? what 802.11 version is her device configured for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't see anywhere to set it. Its Android 2.3.6. Certainly it seems like its connecting on g.

I set the router to N only reset it and connecting the mobile still drops the speed to 3mb. I don't have another phone to test it with at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Your 802.11 wireless network is only as fast as the slowest device connected.

Connecting a 802.11g device to a 802.11n will drag all other connected devices down to it's level - G

You could just set your network to "N" only but that will more than likely prevent your phone from connecting, but it would confirm the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Thanks. The phone should be a 802.11n device. I have another one now, so I must do the check again. See if its that mobile or if both phones do it.

Advertisement