Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor lights/post box

Options
  • 22-02-2013 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Anybody see any good deals for a post box? the ones you put on a wall and have a key for? Also looking for a main outdoor lantern type light beside main door and a few security lights(benefits of led v traditional ones) if anyone can help thanks.

Ronan

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Anybody see any good deals for a post box? the ones you put on a wall and have a key for? Also looking for a main outdoor lantern type light beside main door and a few security lights(befits of led v traditional ones) if anyone can help thanks.

Ronan

Got these in b&q for less than half price before,reduced from 65 to 30 euro.

A Robus external PIR controls the lights.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

cheers paddy looks cool..any suggestions for lights for side or out back of house?

cheers paddy looks cool..any suggestions for lights for side or out back of house?

Any electrical wholesalers will also have a nice supply of lights.

Try Robus/LED just off the Nangor Road or any good wholesalers.

http://www.ledgrouprobus.com/

You can pick up some nice Robus outdoor PIR lights for around 20 euro each.

Also have a look in B&Q and Homebase too.

Woodies are ok...but are very limited in what they sell.....overpriced too.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭ozmo

I wired in a set of those round Ikea kitchen lights into the eves of the house (soffit) - bright enough to light a side entrance - and only 12v once you keep the transformer inside the house and pass the wire out should be fine.
    - think there are about 12 euros for 4 lights - and at only 2Watts of power - will cost pretty much nothing to run even if left on all night (didnt register at all on my power meter)

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    I wired in a set of those round Ikea kitchen lights into the eves of the house (soffit) - bright enough to light a side entrance - and only 12v once you keep the transformer inside the house and pass the wire out should be fine.
    - think there are about 12 euros for 4 lights - and at only 2Watts of power - will cost pretty much nothing to run even if left on all night (didnt register at all on my power meter)

Ikea dont sell outdoor lights like that.I think its a tad dangerous to do what you have done.

Whats the IP rating on them??

They are going to corode,rust,fade,fail due to the external elements...(sun,wind,rain,cold,frost,ice)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

ozmo wrote: »

Paddy is right i am afraid... you will be pulling them out again in under a year as they will be rusted and/or corroded.

The transformer will start to overheat if the lights are shorted by rust or corrosion. I would advice you to take them out.

IP ratings are there for a reason... the Ikea kitchen lights you used would have little to none.

Here is what Homebase currently have in stock..with regards OUTDOOR Lights.

Advertisement