Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do banks lend to help you travel

Options
  • 22-02-2013 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Guys I am at the end of my tether here. Recent graduate (home since September) and I have just got rejection after rejection jobwise- in the career I've chosen and retail jobs which I have experience in. Absolutely nothing is working out for me, but that's beside the point.

I can't even get Jobbridge for god's sake.

I've done TEFL and amid the reports of sharks and scams (was going to apply for a job in France until Google told me the company were basically slavedrivers who withhold wages) the one option that I return to again and again- Korea.

So here's the options. I can try and get s summer camp job in Europe (but going by my recent luck....) and save there (they pay your bed and board) or I can try and get a loan from the bank to go to Korea. Again, they pay your flights and accom but you don't get paid until the end of the month, so have to get over there and live.

So here it is. Get a loan while I'm an unemployed graduate? I think pigs may fly. One thing I have in my favour- my mother would go guarantor and I have an excellent credit history- never been late with direct debits etc and had loans before and never had problems paying them off.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm going slightly cracked :)

Mods, please feel free to move if this is in the wrong place.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm not sure what advice to give regarding the job situation, however I think the banks would be very reluctant to lend money to you if you're going to leave the country, obviously in case you stopped repayments, you'd be all the way over in Korea and it'd be very hard to pursue the debt. Your mother as a guarantor may improve your chances though. Or she may have to go on as a joint applicant with you.

Your best bet would be to get in touch with your branch and ask to make an appointment to speak with the lending officer there. Explain the situation to them and ask them what they reckon the chances are of getting the loan approved, and what's the best way to go about it. They may be able to get in touch with the underwriters and see what they'd look for in order to approve a loan for you.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

Toots, thanks so much for replying. I will do that asap, wasn't feeling great about it all last night but after a bit of sleep things have improved. Have applied for more retail jobs (although most jobs I see seem to be Jobbridge, but I won't go into to that rant). Hopefully things will turn around and I can get something together soon. I will have a word with the bank and my mother and come up with some kind of plan!

Advertisement