Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter from Doctor for insurance

• 22-02-2013 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭

Quick question. My Dad needed a "fit to drive" letter from the doctor to get his insurance (due to illness) the previous time he renewed. However, last month when he went to renew they said the letter they got the previous year would suffice for two years.

Our family do not think he should be driving anymore. He has had a number of incidents and we think he is a risk to others and himself. We have spoken to him, but he will not stop driving.

He had another scrape a few days ago and the car is in the garage getting repaired. I was wondering if I phone up the insurance company and tell them our concerns and advise them to go back to the doctor to get another letter (we know the doctor will not be forthcoming with one this time), would they listen to me add cancel the insurance? Also, could this invalidate any claim being made for the current incident?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

You're in a dreadful position and I feel for you. I personally wouldn't go behind your dads back to the insurance company but maybe ask the doctor to do the "fit to drive" exam and that way if the doctor says no he can't drive - it's the doctor taking his "independence" away and not you. If the doctor passes your dad "fit to drive" - well and good enough and there's no harm or hurt caused to your dad.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

"Our family do not think he should be driving anymore"........."I personally wouldn't go behind your dads back to the insurance company"

To be honest this has nothing to do with your Dad. If he kills someone on the road next week how will you...more importantly they.... feel. Please talk to his doctor and ring the insurance company and notify them. If you are all aware and so is he of something wrong then he is not covered for insurance as you/he have prior knowledge which should have been notified to the insurance company. We have enough accidents on the roads that we cannot stop but you can prevent this one by doing what you know needs to be done. This is for the safety of other people as well as your dad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Look, we know it has nada to do with what Dad thinks now. It is a tough decision but we have to be cold about it, which is why I am going to phone the insurance and get it cancelled.

Basically what I was wondering was will they still pay out of the claim that is currently being made on the recent incident, after me phoning them up today.

I can't see why they wouldn't....they renewed the policy recently, fully aware of his illness and it was them who said last years letter would do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

If the doctor certifies him fit for a licence, then insurers cannot refuse to quote.

Advertisement