Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maximum speed line will support

• 22-02-2013 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I am looking at getting 10Mb broadband from imagine but do not know if the line will support this? The line does support broadband but I do not know what maximum speed it will support.
    Does anyone know how I find out the max speed of my line?
    Also any opinions of imagine broadband?
    Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Does anyone know how I find out the max speed of my line?

Basically there are two things to take into account:
    1. if you already have broadband you can look at the line attenuation figures in the modem and the figures will give you a reasonable estimate of the max speed for the line. Where the figures are is dependant on the modem.
    2. What your local exchange is enabled for, some exchanges only deliver a max of 8Mb/s and some even less, if you are on one of those exchanges you'll only get "upto" 8Mb/s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

no 3 is even more important, distance from the exchange, after 4km speed drops a lot.

go to sky broadband and they have a checker for line speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    no 3 is even more important, distance from the exchange, after 4km speed drops a lot.

go to sky broadband and they have a checker for line speed.

Your number 3 is covered by the line attenuation figures, they tell you roughly how far you are from the exchange

The Sky line checker is utter bs so beware of it, it tells people they can get upto 24Mb/s when their exchange is only enabled for 8Mb/s, so the max they could possibly get is upto 8Mb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Thanks for the replies.
    Imagine doesnt support my area for wimax and the phone line can only support a max of 2mb.
    Digiweb do support wireless broadband and have offered 10mb 60gb limit with an internet phone for 39euro so I am going with that based on the installer thinking the area works ok.
    Thanks.

Advertisement