Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remington 1911

Options
  • 22-02-2013 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

Called in to the local dealer last night and he was showing me a brand new Rem 1911 in .45.

I fell in love!
    However, does anyone know if remington make these with a longer grip?

I'm a big guy, with big hands and a longer grip would make the gun a lot more stable in my hand. He had a couple of S&W's that were a great fit and a few glocks but I hate Glocks...

I can't google this at work so I was hoping someone might know what the options are :rolleyes:

The worst of it is, I was there to find out about Viht! I had no intention of purcashing a handgun for a year at least!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Don't know about an extended grip but there was a good article in Guns & Ammo magazine August 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Glensman wrote: »
    Called in to the local dealer last night and he was showing me a brand new Rem 1911 in .45.

I fell in love!

I'm a big guy, with big hands and a longer grip would make the gun a lot more stable in my hand. He had a couple of S&W's that were a great fit and a few glocks but I hate Glocks...

I can't google this at work so I was hoping someone might know what the options are :rolleyes:

The worst of it is, I was there to find out about Viht! I had no intention of purcashing a handgun for a year at least!

Get an IPSC magazine-well extension.

The 1911 frame is the 1911 frame, take it or leave it.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

tac foley wrote: »
    Get an IPSC magazine-well extension.

The 1911 frame is the 1911 frame, take it or leave it.

tac

I'd have to reluctantly leave it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Know where you are coming from in the big hands dept..You must have two shovels if you find a 1911 to be a bit small:D:D. I've got pretty big mitts and
    I'd prefer the 1911 over the glock any day of the week for filling out my hand as a straight out of the box handgun.
    If you need it the mag extension is your only option,as on pretty much any generic pistol.

Ony other 1911 designs I know that are somwhat "bigger" are either the Hi capacity 1911s like Para ordanance[ P14 my alltime favourite 1911:)]
    Or the LAR Grizzly 45 Win Magnum Mk1 2 or 3. That is a really huge 1911.:cool: The Mk 1 can handle everything with the appropriate conversion kit from 45 ACP,45 Win Magnum,10mm,357 magnum.

Thing is...Its not made anymore,and it is expensive to buy.You'd buy 4 remmy 1911s for one LAR Grizzly .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Called in to the local dealer last night and he was showing me a brand new Rem 1911 in .45.i

I fell in love!

Fyi there are no more new licences been issued for CF pistols in ROI so dont get to excited.

• Advertisement

Fyi there are no more new licences been issued for CF pistols in ROI so dont get to excited.

The joys of living under occupation...
    I can get one without too much hassle.

I'm on the committee of the local shooting club and we're building a pistol range this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

The joys of living under occupation...
    I can get one without too much hassle.

I'm on the committee of the local shooting club and we're building a pistol range this year...

Lucky sod, so you have been to Tannyokky so ;)

As you can see, Glensman doesn't actually live in the RoI, but in the only part of the entire UK where he can STILL have a real handgun that actually LOOKS like a real handgun, and not an orthopaedic shooting implement.

tac

Lucky sod, so you have been to Tannyokky so ;)

No I'm down with dealing with one dealer only- Tom Glass.
    He has 30 handguns in stock and can get me any new one I need...

He's some salesman- I didn't even ask to see handguns!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

I have the Rem R1 Enhanced, nice gun. R1s get pretty good reviews over here, especially for the reasonable price. http://www.impactguns.com/product.aspx?zpid=30972

The one I have shoots real well, the group below was benched bare handed at 25yd w reloads, flyer was first shot, 7 others in a pile. The R1s are pretty good out of the box shooters too, decent trigger, fairly faithful to the 1911. All of them are same 1911 dimensions but you can get the competition magazine that extends below for what its worth.

mvnmmc.jpg

se3wk3.jpg

• Advertisement

Here are some of the Pics.
    The latter .22lrs fitted my hand much better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

the 41 is a fantastic gun:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Quick question am I right in saying that the .45 was the true caliber for the 1911.

As in the 1911 is a.45 but .22 etc are all modified 1911.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Correct.The model 1911 A1 was originally built for the 45 ACP.
    However it has been customised for various different calibres over the last 100 years.Everything from .22lr to 45 Win Mag to .357 magnum.
    What we have here are basically dedicated .22 lrs designed around the looks of a model 1911. Or 45ACP 1911 frames with a .22lr conversion upper on them.;):)
    Hope this clears it up abit?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Don't forget the made-as-a- .22 Colt Ace. It had a novel breech block assembly with an floating component chamber that enabled the little .22 rimfire round to pretend it was a .45.

Quote - The Colt Ace or Colt Service Model Ace was a firearm designed to allow inexpensive and low-recoil practice while maintaining the feel of the military Model 1911 pistol.

While the Colt 1911 was chambered in the powerful .45 ACP cartridge, the externally-similar Colt Ace was chambered for the far less powerful .22 LR cartridge. Accordingly, military, police, or layman shooters could shoot the Ace without the recoil and expense of the 1911, but with similar ergonomics and sight picture. Except for the earliest models, the barrels of these guns are constructed with a hinged floating rear chamber that amplifies the recoil, cycling the heavy slide.

Mine, now living in Oregon, was made in 1938/9.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Ye that clears it up boys thank you.

But another one for you Remington , colt , S/W all make a 1911 ??????

EWQuinn wrote: »
    I have the Rem R1 Enhanced, nice gun. R1s get pretty good reviews over here, especially for the reasonable price. http://www.impactguns.com/product.aspx?zpid=30972

The one I have shoots real well, the group below was benched bare handed at 25yd w reloads, flyer was first shot, 7 others in a pile. The R1s are pretty good out of the box shooters too, decent trigger, fairly faithful to the 1911. All of them are same 1911 dimensions but you can get the competition magazine that extends below for what its worth.

mvnmmc.jpg

se3wk3.jpg

Dribble.......

tac

Ye that clears it up boys thank you.

But another one for you Remington , colt , S/W all make a 1911 ??????

There are alot more manufacturers than that making them les bear, kimber,wilson combat, ed brown etcc and that is only to name a few. The 1911 was first released in 1911 by colt after the patent ran out it was fair game for anyone else to make.
    Like with ar-15's armalite first came out with them then they sold the rights to colt, colt are the only ones with the right to call their firearm an ar-15 and the ar stands for armalite. but as the patent ran out everyone else could build them too they just cant call them an ar.

tac foley wrote: »
    Dribble.......

tac

Not having been educated in Ireland, I had to look that up in Webster, I think I got the correct meaning :)

• Advertisement

In the USA, making of 1911 clones has increased in recent years, Ruger, Sig, S&W, Remington, and others entering the market joining folks like Kimber, Les Baer, Wilson Combat, etc. 2011 being the "100th Anniversary" helped encourage it. A company well known in Ireland, CZ (CZ USA in this case) has marketed and now apparently merged with Dan Wesson, currenty a maker of high end 1911s. Then there are an array of affordable products entering the market too, like Rock Island Armory 1911s from the Philippines.

Here are some of the Pics.
    The latter .22lrs fitted my hand much better

Hey, that R1 has proof marks on the frame, slide and barrel doesnt it? Assuming its being offered for sale from a shop in the North, I'd guess it was proofed in the UK? (Don't want to get a long discussion started on that, but thought it was interesting.)

You can still find dealers in the uk with semi automatic centefire rifles and also all kinds of pistols. You can still legally get a licence it is called a section 5 and the dealers who can import them etc.. have a section 5 authorization. You need a very good reason for getting one though it is much like our restricted category. They are like the proverbial hens teeth but there are still a good number of people with them.

EWQuinn wrote: »
    Hey, that R1 has proof marks on the frame, slide and barrel doesnt it? Assuming its being offered for sale from a shop in the North, I'd guess it was proofed in the UK? (Don't want to get a long discussion started on that, but thought it was interesting.)

Funny myself and the dealer both discussed that about the S&Ws, one has a proof mark and the other doesn't! They are basically identical and both .22lr.

That 1911 (chambered in 45) is supplied by Edgar's so it will have proof marks...

In the 6 counties dealers aren't hung up on proof marks and most of them either don't know or don't care about the laws in regard to proofing...

(also, not wishing to get into the debate)

Advertisement