Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shortage of houses...

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Even if the banks lend to developers, where are they going to build in the more desirable areas? The price of a site in a more desirable area will be simply telephone numbers. Dream on !:)

Not quite true, I know of 5/6 sites that are in good areas in Dublin that are being "sat on". First one will be starting late this year with houses only. Hopefully start things moving a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Dice75 wrote: »
    Not quite true, I know of 5/6 sites that are in good areas in Dublin that are being "sat on". First one will be starting late this year with houses only. Hopefully start things moving a bit.
    Hopefully you're right but the areas I've been looking (south of the Canal, east of Harolds Cross), doesn't have a whole lot of space. If anything does get built there it's going to be for silly money even to breakeven for the developers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Great stuff .

Supply and demand will determine the sale price. Don' forget the Developers need to make a profit too !

Are we likely to see too many punters for too few houses..?

Don't think we are likely to see any major housing developments in the D 4,6,14,18 areas.

Not sure it will satisfy the pent up demand of young families trading up

Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Great stuff .

Supply and demand will determine the sale price. Don' forget the Developers need to make a profit too !

Are we likely to see too many punters for too few houses..?

:)

I dont know what the market would be like in these areas at the moment, 1st lot should be 70 x 3/4 beds in Beaumont

I dont know what the market would be like in these areas at the moment, 1st lot should be 70 x 3/4 beds in Beaumont

Beaumont? Forgive me I am not up to date on this area

What is in Beaumont for families trading up?

Yes there is the hospital, perhaps the houses may meet demand from hospital staff? Also proximity to City centre , IFSC.

Is there pent up demand in this area ? Not sure Beaumont compares with Terenure , Rathgar. , where posters appeared to be prepared to bump off the granny's to satisfy their housing needs.

What is the expected sale price per unit for 3 & 4 bed units? Traditionally these would have been FTB territory.:)

I have no doubt there are developers sitting on expensive land, nonetheless whatever they sell the houses for per unit they need to take into account the price of land per unit, which one expects they bought post 2000.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Curious, it wouldn't be that giant derelict looking greenfield site behind hoardings at the Swords Rd\Collins Ave West junction?

gurramok wrote: »
    Curious, it wouldn't be that giant derelict looking greenfield site behind hoardings at the Swords Rd\Collins Ave West junction?

Is that on the road to the Airport?

Certainly could have the potential for a nice development.

Guess conservative pricing €300k to €375 k?

Land price is whatever was paid post 2000, labour and materials remain unchanged in last 5 years, developer like anyone else must make a profit , and price will ultimately depend on demand.

Will watch with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IS There any large sites left, in dublin 4 ,6,
    suitable for building 20 plus houses on?
    if You want a house with a garden ,look in more than one area?
    I Can,t remember seeing any new housing estates in dublin 6 ,in the last 10 years.
    IF you are just looking in dublin 4,6 you maybe bidding against people
    who are in the top 10 per cent ,in terms of salary.
    When a developer buys a site for x amount ,the only economic option maybe build apartments.
    in certain area,s most houses that come on the market,come on ,
    When someone passes away.

Do people ever think the glass bottle site will be developed? I think that's one of the most underrated areas in Dublin and would love to see it developed (and live there). Could be a very nice waterfront promenade along there.

24 acres, they reckon it's worth bout €50mill now, would there ever be potential for family homes there? Or would it only be viable to build a load of apartments there?

riclad wrote: »
    IS There any large sites left, in dublin 4 ,6,
    suitable for building 20 plus houses on?
    if You want a house with a garden ,look in more than one area?
    I Can,t remember seeing any new housing estates in dublin 6 ,in the last 10 years.
    IF you are just looking in dublin 4,6 you maybe bidding against people
    who are in the top 10 per cent ,in terms of salary.
    When a developer buys a site for x amount ,the only economic option maybe build apartments.
    in certain area,s most houses that come on the market,come on ,
    When someone passes away.

It must be closer to 30 years since the last development of Townhouses in Dublin 6 on Bushy Park Road Terenure.:) Development of the Shamrock Rovers Ground in Milltown also close to 30 years ago , totalled approx 20 upmarket properties. Developments in Foxrock built in the last 15 years are well outside the Ftb 's budgets who wish to trade up.
    Essentially anywhere in D 4 6 14 18 are long built on , the only way to trade up is to compete with 20/30 other buyers , many of whom are on their second or third move up the ladder, all chasing the one property !
    Sure there may be land banks north of the River which have yet to be developed, if that is one's area of choice. As for the Southside I am not aware of any. So for families wishing to trade up into the more desirable areas , they will have to push granny into a home or hope for her early peaceful passing to the next world. Otherwise they are simply codding themselves and should simply calm down and be a bit more realistic.

• Advertisement

And also, I reckon RTE will sell up in the not so distant future. They don't really need that much land, or to be in such a prestigious area. They own 26 acres, of which they admit half is "wasteland".

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Do people ever think the glass bottle site will be developed? I think that's one of the most underrated areas in Dublin and would love to see it developed (and live there). Could be a very nice waterfront promenade along there.

24 acres, they reckon it's worth bout €50mill now, would there ever be potential for family homes there? Or would it only be viable to build a load of apartments there?

For developers to maximise their profits and recoup the price of the land, high density, appartment blocks and duplexes are the only way forward for that site.
    I certainly could not forsee 3 4 5 bed houses with the customary garage for 1 or 2 cars being built there. Sure it would be a wonderful waterfront location, however it would need to be something akin to Chelsea Docks.:)

And also, I reckon RTE will sell up in the not so distant future. They don't really need that much land, or to be in such a prestigious area. They own 26 acres, of which they admit half is "wasteland".

So where will they move to? Why should they move?
    Even if they move developers will more than likely build apartments , rather than family homes. The price of the land will determine how many units they need to build to recover their outlays and they need to make a profit.
    Sorry I don't think they will be houses for families trading up.

So where will they move to? Why should they move?
    Even if they move developers will more than likely build apartments , rather than family homes. The price of the land will determine how many units they need to build to recover their outlays and they need to make a profit.
    Sorry I don't think they will be houses for families trading up.
    Yeah you're probably right about not building family homes, but I think they will move due to the losses they have been making the past few years. Half their campus is a fake town for Fair City :confused:

Surely that could be moved somewhere more sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The glass bottle site is on poisoned land. Anyone who wishes to develop it will have to make it safe, thats costly.

Yeah you're probably right about not building family homes, but I think they will move due to the losses they have been making the past few years. Half their campus is a fake town for Fair City :confused:

Surely that could be moved somewhere more sensible.

They could axe Fair City and make huge savings, indeed sell it to BBC , it would go down well over there with that other vile programme, Mrs. Browns Boys.:D

That alone should free up quite an amount of land for development, and raise money for Revenue Dept.

gurramok wrote: »
    The glass bottle site is on poisoned land. Anyone who wishes to develop it will have to make it safe, thats costly.

There must be a dodgy dealer out there who could build on that site no problem.
    Perhaps the guy who built the dodgy apartment block in North Dublin, where the residents have been relocated from their homes for almost 3 years!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Wasn't this mooted a long time ago? What happened? From December 2002:
    Along with a licence fee rise, which is shrouded in very strict conditions, RTE has been informed that it must dispose of a third of its 32-acre Donnybrook site in the heart of Dublin's most expensive residential district.
    It seems RTE aren't planning to go anywhere.

http://www.awnconsulting.com/go/environmental_services/environmental_impact_assessment/key_projects/rt-project-2025-dublin-4

Meanwhile, some of the most desirable land in the country will remain a state-sponsored car park.
    It points out that roughly half of the site is occupied by a combination of studio production facilities and ancillary office accommodation... The remainder of the site, as the letter notes, is “open space/ parkland”, although it does not mention that much of this is used for car parking.
    http://buckplanning.blogspot.ie/2009/07/rte-request-to-have-31-acre-site.html

Advertisement