Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who did she marry?

• 22-02-2013 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at a record on familysearch.org for a Frances Waterfield, who married in Dublin South in 1909 (I assume this is the same as Francis Waterfield of the 1901 census). But who did she marry, and how can I find out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

to find possible partners, look for other people with the same references - i.e. date, registration district, volume & page number. Any matches mean they appear on the same page of the register.

The only way to be 100% certain is to order the cert, but depending on what other clues you have you can sometimes be reasonably certain of a match based on later evidence such as the census, certs etc

in this case the other (male) names on the same page as Frances M L Waterfield are :

William Reginald Gresty
    Henry Samuel Davis
    Ernest James Murphy

S.

based on the 1911 census I suspect that Frances married Ernest James Murphy ...

see : Murphy household, Charleville Road, Rathgar

(I dont see Mr. W.R. Gresty in 1911, but Henry Samuel Davis married Annie Julia Windsor)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

shanew wrote: »
    based on the 1911 census I suspect that Frances married Ernest James Murphy ...

see : Murphy household, Charleville Road, Rathgar

(I dont see Mr. W.R. Gresty in 1911, but Henry Samuel Davis married Annie Julia Windsor)

Oh well done! That seems likely, given the Rathgar address - Frances/Francis was a friend of my grandmother, who grew up in Rathmines; now, if I can only discover that she went to Alex I'm laughing ;)

But what on earth is a Merchant for Corks!

Oh, wait, I see that he's a 'Merchant for "Corks"' - I wonder was "Corks" a particular wholesaler or retailer...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Oh well done! That seems likely, given the Rathgar address - Frances/Francis was a friend of my grandmother, who grew up in Rathmines; now, if I can only discover that she went to Alex I'm laughing ;)

By Alex I assume you mean Alexandra College. Suggest you contact their archivist if they have one.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    By Alex I assume you mean Alexandra College. Suggest you contact their archivist if they have one.

I do - no, joking, I'm not going to pursue her that far!

Coolnabacky - what was a family business - Corks? What kind of business, d'you know?

I do - no, joking, I'm not going to pursue her that far!

Coolnabacky - what was a family business - Corks? What kind of business, d'you know?

My comment is a hyperlink, click it and you will find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Did you notice the entry for Pearse in the preceding page?

Didn't he have a son that got up to some divilmint? :D

• Advertisement

Oh, excellent! So if she was in Dun Laoghaire Frances might have been visiting her pa-in-law!

Edit: though oddly, RJ doesn't seem to appear in the censuses; I've tried 1901 and 1911 and Kingstown and Stillorgan.

Didn't he have a son that got up to some divilmint? :D

Normal for that trade, most are stone mad!;):D

Oh, excellent! So if she was in Dun Laoghaire Frances might have been visiting her pa-in-law!

Woodpark is now (I think) the National Rehab Hospital on Rochestown Avenue. Lewis has it in Kill parish- see HERE - there is another in Glenageary - see the deansgrange graveyard entries
    No.1197
    (Main Inscription on Headstone No.1196)
    Erected by | R. J. MURPHY, J.P. | Wood Park, Glenageary | in memory of | his
    dearly beloved children | NORA | died May 21 1887, aged 11 months | ELSIE |
    died May 24 1887, aged 2½ years | TEDDIE | died May 24 1887, aged 3½ years |
    RICHARD JAMES | Born & died Feb. 2 1874 | "Thy Will be Done".

No.1198
    (On the side of Headstone No.1196)
    MARY MURPHY | wife of R. J. MURPHY | who died 27th Feb. 1919 | and their
    daughter | AGNES MURPHY | (Religieuse) | who died 8th Dec. 1913 | also their
    daughter | GERTRUDE MURPHY | died 26th May 1970

Hmm. This is a little odd; I think Frances and Ernest James were CofE in one census and CofI in the other, but RJ seems to have been very Catholic - there's an Australian Jesuit who sounds as if he was RJ's son, and who went to Clongowes so it presumably wasn't an adult conversion. Of course, being a Murphy and working for a Murphy might be pure coincidence.

Advertisement