Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Cancellation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I went and looked at the O2 site and in their charges section that is what was stated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

http://www.o2online.ie/o2/uploads/pdfs/terms/consumer/Other_Bill_Pay_charges_June_2013_fnl.pdf

Voda and Three publish they are taken form inclusive minutes. Again fair cop if people's practical experience is different. I appreciate the correction.

Meteor charge 15c per minute for 0818 calls
    Tesco charge 20c per minute for 0818 calls

All this aside because I'm clearly wrong that in most cases these calls are free, why not simply ask the person you're speaking to, to call you back?

I'd phrase it like this;

"I've very little credit please could you cancel me"

Can I chat to you about your account, see if we can make some savings for you

"No thanks I've no credit so I'd really like to know it's canceled - how about you call me back"

No problem... / Account canceled either way job done. Any bouncing now done on Sky's dime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

sky would never call you back if its about cancelling.

snaps wrote: »
    sky would never call you back if its about cancelling.

This I know is rubbish. If you ask for a call back and give them the alternative that the account should be canceled there and then you'll get a call back. You might get an agent who will simply cancel you and ask you to remain on the line while thats done, but that would seem to be what you're trying to achieve in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

This I know is rubbish. If you ask for a call back and give them the alternative that the account should be canceled there and then you'll get a call back. You might get an agent who will simply cancel you and ask you to remain on the line while thats done, but that would seem to be what you're trying to achieve in the first place.

AFAIK, the only Sky operators who can do outbound calls are the Sales teams and even then they can't dial your number, it's added to a queue and you may/may not get called.

LeftBlank wrote: »
    AFAIK, the only Sky operators who can do outbound calls are the Sales teams and even then they can't dial your number, it's added to a queue and you may/may not get called.

I've it on fairly good authority that there is outbound available to every agent. The outbound teams use a separate system.

After everything ive been through, Ive just received an email for me to call them again to go over details on the Irish number (After being on the phone to them for a good 35 minutes the other day). They said they cant call me because of the data protection act. So seems im still not cancelled. It seems ridiculous. Im just going to cancel my Direct debit now. Enough is enough. I was able to cancel Setanta with an email, no problems.

• Advertisement

After everything ive been through, Ive just received an email for me to call them again to go over details on the Irish number (After being on the phone to them for a good 35 minutes the other day). They said they cant call me because of the data protection act. So seems im still not cancelled. It seems ridiculous. Im just going to cancel my Direct debit now. Enough is enough. I was able to cancel Setanta with an email, no problems.

I can't speak to your personal circumstances. When I canceled it was a more complicated process than it is now as it required a transfer of departments. Whole process took less than ten minutes. Again I'm not speaking to your personal circumstances but people seem to think it's going to be quicker to go through to other departments and get transfered. It's not.

I have to agree that there should be some web form or e-mail for people to fill out so they at least get someone calling them. Once you've been ID'd most agents will call you back if you request them to, especially if you've been on multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gormal

Time wrote: »
    Sky couldn't possibly insist that everyone cancel by phone. What if a person has a disability such as deafness? I think it's clear that the OP has made more than enough of an effort to cancel in line with the T&C's. The only reason they want the OP to call is so they can attempt to renew the contract with a new offer.

They have a dedicated/alternative service called sky Accessibility for people with a disability such as Deafness.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Called sky to cancel yesterday, option 3 to change package, hello *insert viewing card number, data protection ... Would like to cancel my account I am giving you 31days notice, I don't want any new package or I'm not fishing for a deal I just want to cancel for personal reasons.. Are you sure .. Yes thank you.. Ok your final DD will be taken on x date and it will be xxx€. Thank you and goodnight.
    It took no more than 6 minutes and its cancelled max €2 for the cost of the call.
    Nothing hard about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Called sky to cancel yesterday, option 3 to change package, hello *insert viewing card number, data protection ... Would like to cancel my account I am giving you 31days notice, I don't want any new package or I'm not fishing for a deal I just want to cancel for personal reasons.. Are you sure .. Yes thank you.. Ok your final DD will be taken on x date and it will be xxx€. Thank you and goodnight.
    It took no more than 6 minutes and its cancelled max €2 for the cost of the call.

Lucky you - for some €2 is the price of a couple of litres of milk.

I was on hold for 15 minutes with no call back option. Then five more minutes of retention offers before cancellation request was processed. Nothing hard about it, apart form the €5 it cost.

As has been said your mileage may vary.

Agent_99 wrote: »

will be Intresting to see if you are cancelled. I've been through all of that and when nothing was cancelled they denied any previous contact with them. My direct debit is cancelled now as they got an extra full month off me, even though my last direct debit was supposed to be 13€.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Record you calls!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Lucky you - for some €2 is the price of a couple of litres of milk.

I was on hold for 15 minutes with no call back option. Then five more minutes of retention offers before cancellation request was processed. Nothing hard about it, apart form the €5 it cost.

As has been said your mileage may vary.

Sorry but €2 is a couple of pints of milk for me too hence why we have had to cancel sky I had a €16 a month package for a year and that has now come to an end. But it is better than a couple of months of hassle playing email ping pong with them. I have cancelled the subscription before with the same routine and never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

will be Intresting to see if you are cancelled. I've been through all of that and when nothing was cancelled they denied any previous contact with them. My direct debit is cancelled now as they got an extra full month off me, even though my last direct debit was supposed to be 13€.

I've checked my next bill online and it has been adjusted for cancellation. Fingers crossed.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Record you calls!

Couldn't agree more with this. Whats good for the goose... I very much doubt a large company is out to 'get you' on cancellations but incompetence happens. Personally I wouldn't even tell the agent, there are about a million threads in the legal discussions board if you want to know more, but generally 'aide de memoire' is allowable. You might not get a recording into court even if you do tell the agent but then that's not really your goal. You're goal would be if Sky disputed that you'd canceled simply stating the time and date of the call and that you've it recorded. They would then pull the recording their side and check.

Most smart phones have this function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

UCD Gal wrote: »
    Where do they clearly state that? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

On their site it says:

That is on the Irish Sky site.

In the T & C's here:

http://www.sky.com/ireland/terms-conditions/tv/
    YOUR RIGHTS TO CANCEL

If you decide to cancel a product or service AFTER installation, you must do one of the following:

1. Call us on 0818 719 829

2. Write to us at: Sky Subscribers Services Limited, PO Box 43, Livingston, West Lothian EH54 7DD.

3. Fax us on: +44 (0)1506 484343

4. Send us an email by visiting the “Contact Us” section at sky.com

Interpreting the above do you really have to ring them to cancel? Could you not write to them or fax them (if you have access to a fax machine) if the email option isn't working out?

These conditions are also on page 14 of the Sky contract booklet dated April 2013.

• Advertisement
Advertisement