Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dexys for Dublin

Options
  • 22-02-2013 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

Surprised not to see a thread on the forum about Dexys at The Olympia Theatre in Dublin on Thursday the 2nd of May 2013.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Saw them at EP last year and were fantastic, that's saying something as I'm usually not a fan of bands that don't interact with the crowd. I quite liked the idea of a concept show, that and the choreography really helped with this.

Not sure if I'll hit up this gig as I have exams in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Anyone at this last night? Very enjoyable, missed the picnic last year so wasn't sure what to expect. Far more like a show than a gig alright, no interaction with the audience until after the last album was played in full and in sequence and not a huge amount after even with the section of the show dedicated to the older stuff. Played for 2 hours 20 minutes so can't fault that, bit slef indulgent at time but Kevin Rowland's always been that way inclined. Would have prefered to hear some more stuff from Soul Rebels and Too Rye Ay but wasn't that surprised. Geno sounded like Kid Creole covering it (not necessarily a bad thing) but was really hoping they'd play Dance Stance given it's lyrics and that the gig was over here, that was my big regret. He called one of the band a Celtic Soul Brother at one stage as well so thought that song might get an airing but didn't play that either.

Still, good gig, even the less known album tracks on their 80's stuff is top quality.

Anyone else any thoughts?

Have the Camden Crawl this weekend as well now, gonna be ready for a coffin by Monday! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭yknaa

Good man Big Game. Summed up my thoughts exactly on the gig. It did dip in places and I would remove the whole 'Officer - burning' set. Still really enjoyable apart from the odd plank shouting rubbish from the crowd.

Had Saxon the night before so this was a bit of a contrast!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

yknaa wrote: »
    Good man Big Game. Summed up my thoughts exactly on the gig. It did dip in places and I would remove the whole 'Officer - burning' set. Still really enjoyable apart from the odd plank shouting rubbish from the crowd.

What was played off too ry?

lordgoat wrote: »
    What was played off too ry?

Old and Until I Believe in My Soul are all as far I can remember, he was definitely concentrating on the lower tempo stuff from the back catalogue.

They played half of Don't stand me down, This is what she's like went on for at least 15 minutes at the end if not closer to 20, great song and all but I'd have been happy to see that scaled back and another couple of earlier songs thrown in.

• Advertisement

yknaa wrote: »

Big contrast alright! That moron who kept shouting 'Come on Eileen!' needed a serious slap in fairness, total idiot. Don't mind the odd heckle if there's a bit of wit to it but that sort of gormless nonsense does my head in.

Advertisement