Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ozzie mossies

Options
  • 22-02-2013 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Anyone have any tips on anything I could eat or vitamins I could take to stop/ reduce the the amount of bites I'm getting.

I'm working out bush and being eaten alive, applying spray constantly and even today I must have been bitten over 70 times on both shoulder blades through my high via

They don't seem to be attacking anyone else as bad, all help appricated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Get your hands on some of this, specifically the 80% heavy duty.

http://www.bushman-repellent.com/deet-facts-information-myths.html

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

DEET is your friend, higher the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cikearney

I was using the standard bush man, just have to wait to get outta here now to get some heavy duty, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Vitamin B is supposed to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

ellaq wrote: »
    Vitamin B is supposed to help.

What, this stuff is supposed to be full of Vitamin B...
    Is this how you apply it?

image_zps1a217aea.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

+1 on the bushman with as much deet as you can get. Spray it all over your clothes. There is also a cream we use at work that is like a mix between deep heat and rosemary, think it is meant for horses but we all use it, will upload name when I fly back up to work.
    Have heard of the vitamin b as well with mixed results.
    If up north watch out for march flies at moment, had 2 guys flown out on flying doctors this month, bitten by march flies and into anaphylactic shock. Scary. They eat something which can be pretty nasty when passed through their system and into ours. Course there is also the Murray river virus, Ross river virus..etc... Hate mossies!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Have you tried wearing long sleeve shirt and pants with a fly net. Wearing heavy duty clothes will help protect you from the sun as well as keeping the mozzies away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Vinegar repels most insects.

ifeelill wrote: »
    Have you tried wearing long sleeve shirt and pants with a fly net. Wearing heavy duty clothes will help protect you from the sun as well as keeping the mozzies away.
    Wearing long sleeves, they were getting me through my shirt so I've started wearing a t shirt underneath, I just can't get away from them

I have a bottle of pure coconut oil I picked up in Dominican and they said it repels them but it doesn't

feargale wrote: »
    Vinegar repels most insects.
    No vinegar and could do without smelling like a bag of chips hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

I'm like you. Some people seem to be more prone than others to getting attacked. I get bitten by insects every time I go abroad and have gotten some real nasty ones before. Have gotten advice from loads of people!

I've heard the vit B thing, have tried it myself a few times and didn't really seem to do much, but as I say, I seem to be more prone to bites then lots of people, so may work for some.

Antihistamines are better, you can get then over the counter, won't stop you getting bitten but will help stop it getting red/itchy so much!

I would advise trying a combo of DEET, vit B & antihistamines for a few weeks. If all that still isnt working, go to a doc!! I am bad enough that I sometimes go on short courses of prescription strength meds which are great and stop all the reactions straight away. So there may be light at the end of the tunnel for you too! :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The tropical strength repellants from aerogard and deet work pretty well. You can buy an insect repellent for using when you go camping - it's designed for you to wash a mossie net in it and allow to dry without rinsing - you can use the same stuff on clothing, but I'm not sure I'd like to then don said clothing without something between me and my outerwear...

If you're out bush on a site that requires PPE, check if you're allowed wear additional high vis stuff - you could get one of those fluro waistcoats and wear it over your shirt - soak the waistcoat in the mossie stuff and leave it off the shirt?

Advertisement