Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst portrait tattoo gets fixed!

• 22-02-2013 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭

Via reddit

w2nrlgU.jpg
    This is the story from the tattoo artist: I got to tackle the official "#1 worst portrait tattoo in the world" today. I'm sure you've all seen it a million times online, as had I. I couldn't believe my eyes when this guy walked in and showed me this project. I think my jaw literally hit the floor. He went on to tell me the story behind the portrait; He had just married his beautiful wife and not even three months afterwards she was killed in a horrible house fire accident leaving him to raise their three children alone. Shortly after he went to a local tattoo studio to memorialize his wife and was left with this abomination. He later returned to that studio for one more session, thinking that perhaps "he had done something wrong in the healing of the tattoo" and they butchered it even more the second time. Finally, he drove all the way to my studio, Empire Ink, just to meet me and to see what his options were. Touched by his story, I gifted the entire project to him for free. Now he has closure and I have an amazing story to add to my portfolio!

That is just remarkable work!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Aww, that's cool!! Whoever did that in the first place (looks like a 5 year old did it!) should be shot with balls of their own shite, especially given what the tattoo represents. The original tattooist should be ashamed and never inflict his "art" on anyone again!!

Nice ending to a nice story. Thanks Links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Nice ending to a nice story. Thanks Links.

It's really amazing, hit me right in the heart when I saw it this morning, because I always felt sorry for the guy who got that tattoo, especially since it was of someone very dear to him. Knowing the story, and how well it turned out just gave me happy tears. :)

This is the artist who did the repair, some of his work is unreal!

407966_10150533022753188_831868187_8684556_1960329803_n.jpg

296871_10150371826208188_831868187_8071661_583447775_n.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

That's a pretty amazing turnabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I think I'm the only person who doesn't really like the new one either :o Much better, yeah. But I still think it's just okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I think the new one is great. The only obvious flaw I can see with it is that the hairline isn't right, but perhaps that is the way that it is because it's a coverup?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

IMO it still looks sh!t, though vaaaaastly improved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Dermighty wrote: »
    IMO it still looks sh!t, though vaaaaastly improved!

A bit harsh it may not be the best but I wouldn't call it **** either ;), and from what it was its a huge improvement and nice to see someone getting what is a famous tattoo for all the wrong reasons fixed and having a happy ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

The artist who did the cover up sounds like a stand up guy. Portraits aren't really my bag, but that is some improvement. Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

It's not 100% perfect, but I doubt the artist could make it perfect over the abomination that was the first tattoo. Fair play to the artist for being so kind to the man in what I'm sure were distressing circumstances. I'm sure the man is happy with the tattoo now, and that's the main thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stonecutter01

can't believe there are people bashing that tattoo, it's better than 99% of tattoos I see in Ireland not to mention it is a coverup and a damn good one at that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

it's better than 99% of tattoos I see in Ireland

You've been looking at the wrong tattoos then.

it's better than 99% of tattoos I see in Ireland

Doesn't make it 'remarkable' or 'amazing' work though.

The fact that it is a coverup does make it remarkable. Adiboo unfortunately I can't control the quality of other peoples tattoos, even looking at the ill show yours if you show mine thread, that tattoo is better than most of them, not saying they are bad but this one is better.

Tell me adiboo where should I look in Ireland to see a better portraits than that?. I'm not even being snotty I would genuinly like to know. Remis is good, but I can't find any coverup portraits in his portfolio? Same with Joe myler. Wojts is gone. Even if there were ten amazing world class portrait artists in Ireland(which there's not) it woudln't account for 99% of the work you could see on a daily basis.

I'm not saying there aren't good artists here but there is definitely more bad ones than good ones and unfortunately although I see people wearing tattoos regularly most of them are pretty bad. How can you even debate this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

The fact
    that it is a coverup does make it remarkable. Adiboo unfortunately I
    can't control the quality of other peoples tattoos, even looking at the
    ill show yours if you show mine thread, that tattoo is better than most
    of them, not saying they are bad but this one is better.

Tell me adiboo where should I look in Ireland to see a better portraits
    than that?. I'm not even being snotty I would genuinly like to know.
    Remis is good, but I can't find any coverup portraits in his portfolio?
    Same with Joe myler. Wojts is gone. Even if there were ten amazing world
    class portrait artists in Ireland(which there's not) it woudln't
    account for 99% of the work you could see on a daily basis.

I'm not saying there aren't good artists here but there is definitely
    more bad ones than good ones and unfortunately although I see people
    wearing tattoos regularly most of them are pretty bad. How can you even
    debate this

You're looking in the wrong places. The majority of people here didn't say it's bad, it's good work actually. As for the disparaging remark on the pics we post in the show you mine thread, well, each to their own, I've no doubt that everyone of us who posts there love our tatts. :)

I didn't make any disparaging remark about the tattoos in the Ill show you mine thread, in fact I clearly said they are not bad. Some of them are very good. I just think this particular tattoo is more impressive than a lot of them, because for starters portraits are very hard to do and the fact that he's fixing a really awful tattoo to begin with makes it all the more impressive.

It's pretty common to hear of tattoo artists refusing to fix bad tattoos because they don't want to be associated with it, so I think when someone like this guy not only fixes it but does so for free is pretty amazing.

I don't know what you's mean that I'm looking in the wrong places. Is there some exclusive club full of people with absolute masterpieces I don't know about? There are some great artists in Ireland no doubt, but there are a lot more bad ones and most people getting tattooed aren't big enthusiasts, they go to whoever is convenient rather than looking for the best artist. Even the good artists sometimes have to do unimpressive pieces because the customer wants it and that's fine if they are happy. But are you really saying that on a daily basis you encounter better tattoos than this cover up?

Sure just get over it, only person actually said the tattoo is shit. So it wasn't even bashed by 'people'.

Advertisement