Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficulty finding work

Options
  • 22-02-2013 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a qualified accountant, and I've been looking for work for a while. I've had a few bits of temp work, but nothing more permanant than a few weeks.

I'm now applying for more basic accounts assistant roles and admin roles(I used to work i admin prior to doing my accounting exams) but I'm still getting very little response. Indeed, some of the recruitment agencies that I'm dealing with are getting annoyed that I'm interested in these roles, and I've been more or less given out to for taking an accounts assistant temp role. I'm told I'm wasting my qualification, and it will be much more difficult to get into an accounting role after this.

I can't understand this. Surely it is better to be working? It seems that in many cases I'm not even being put forward for these roles. I feel completely stuck.

What do people think, am I shooting myself in the foot by applying for and temping in these kinds of roles?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 JasonBrody

The fact your getting very little responses could be down to your CV....maybe it would be wise to invest some time and if you can, a bit of cash into getting a high standard CV done. Always remember your CV is never generic, you must tailor it to each job you go for

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have taken on board advice from recruiters re my CV. I worded that badly, I didn't mean no response at all, I get some response, some interviews, but no job yet!

I trained in an unusual industry, and most accounting positions now seem to be looking for big 4 or financial service trained accountants, so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage.
    I'm now looking at roles I'm technically overqualified for, and I'm getting an extremely negative response from recruiters about this. That is the issue I'm looking for advice on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Join LinkedIn. Not facebook or google's parody called g+. Get on to LinkedIn. Like me. I'm on LinkedIn, but not facebook. I have a ghost presence on g+ but that's because of my youtube channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

gugleguy wrote: »
    Join LinkedIn. Not facebook or google's parody called g+. Get on to LinkedIn. Like me. I'm on LinkedIn, but not facebook. I have a ghost presence on g+ but that's because of my youtube channel.

What's your opinion on Twitter, gugleguy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Twitter - no, not on it. Here on boards is where I'm most vocal. I'm not really extroverted enough for twitter, and some both in the virtual and real world would be surprised at how I feign "oh ye, cool" at things. There you go!:p;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You would be shooting yourself in the foot to go back to a permanent admin role after doing a qual. Temping in them is fine, so long as you don't get stuck, and can prove that you're doing something (eg volunteer work even) where your new knowledge and skills can be used. But the downside of temping in them is that you might get distracted from hunting for a more skills job ... and twelve months later you're still temping and there is a new crop of graduates with as much relevant experience as you and a more recent qualification.

Recruiters won't want to place you in roles that you're over qualified for, in case you find a proper job and leave before they get their commission (I believe it's often 3-6 months that you need to stay for).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You would be shooting yourself in the foot to go back to a permanent admin role after doing a qual. Temping in them is fine, so long as you don't get stuck, and can prove that you're doing something (eg volunteer work even) where your new knowledge and skills can be used. But the downside of temping in them is that you might get distracted from hunting for a more skills job ... and twelve months later you're still temping and there is a new crop of graduates with as much relevant experience as you and a more recent qualification.

Recruiters won't want to place you in roles that you're over qualified for, in case you find a proper job and leave before they get their commission (I believe it's often 3-6 months that you need to stay for).

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

so what wold you suggest I do? Stay unemployed? I feel so stuck. It's already been a year. I haven't come cross any volunteer work, but maybe i need to look harder.

Advertisement