Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pursuing a law career with a 2.2?

• 22-02-2013 12:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47

I would like to know your thoughts on pursuing a law career with a 2.2.Law firms place a lot of emphasis on at least obtaining a 2.1 before they will consider hiring you. I was thinking of going down the barrister route though but I'm unsure of what demands the job would place on me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

If you go the Barrister route, it make absolutely no difference if you have a 1st or a 2:2.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

In the medium to long term ie after say 1 year post qualification experience, results of a law degree are meaningless.

However, they may be important in the short term to secure a place with a solicitor. The only way to know for sure is to apply, and make sure you stress your other good qualities. 2h2 is not a bad result by the way, so don't sell yourself short

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 maithanfear

NoQuarter wrote: »
    If you go the Barrister route, it make absolutely no difference if you have a 1st or a 2:2.

Why?

Because nobody asks what you got. You are self employed so you have no boss nor do you have to be hired. Of course, there is nobody to give you a weekly wage either

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Because nobody asks what you got. You are self employed so you have no boss nor do you have to be hired. Of course, there is nobody to give you a weekly wage either

So how does a barrister solicit work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

So how does a barrister solicit work?

By being very nice to solicitors! Barristers are not allowed to actively solicit work.

By being very nice to solicitors! Barristers are not allowed to actively solicit work.

so it boils down to politics and a dishonest charm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

so it boils down to politics and a dishonest charm?

I wish I would be loaded if that was the case. Briefs come for a variety of reasons and solicitors continue to brief for many more. Many of my briefing solicitors I knew in College, some are introduced by other people. Like any business relationship it must just work if it does not no matter how much of a friend you are you won't get briefed.

A common story I hear is people saying the Solicitors you think most likely to brief you wont and the Solicitors you think would never brief you do. Not as a strict rule of course but it just illustrates the point that there is no science to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Have you got the 2.2 or it looks like that's what you'll have come September? If it's the latter get your self placed in a firm now and make some contacts. It has two excellent side effects; better grades and an understanding of whether you want to be a solicitor or a barrister.

If you've already graduated you could still do work ex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Blackrockcomet

As said above, you might struggle for a big 5 interview with a 2:2 degree. A postgrad degree or decent work experience should even it out. If you get an internship with a law firm/ good postgrad, you should get a couple of interviews and then your degree doesn't matter as much (it will probably be a question but that's sometimes good as you know it's coming and can prepare), it's all down to the impression you give.

Barrister/Solicitor are very different. You need to do some research. if you make your mind up and put in the work, you have as much chance of being successful as anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

a 2:2 will put you at a disadvantage compared to other people looking for training positions with firms. You'll have to compensate for it by building up your CV in other areas, work experience and extra curricular activities are the best ways to do this.

Don't be discouraged though, soem of us don't even have a law degree.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Usually doing a higher qualification than the degree, this focuses attention on that award and so the 2:2 would be of lesser importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭KoukiKeith

My angle:

Received a 2.2 and graduated with an average of over 58%. Messed up one subject (Jurisprudence) and it brought down my entire grade. If you get an interview make sure you can explain it. In my case, I had more of an interest in Commercial subjects and this was reflected in my results. Now obviously that's not going to fly if across the board someone is quite weak/mediocre. Play to your strengths is what I'm trying to say, I guess.

As already pointed out though, the problem may lie in getting an interview. I compensated with an LL.M.

My first application was for legal work experience in a general practice. It was accepted & within 3 months of demonstrating my capabilities, I had been offered the elusive TC.

Keep your chin up - a 2.2 isn't the end of the world ;)

*EDIT* I didn't really read the OP properly. I'd imagine that the Barrister route doesn't place as much emphasis on results for reasons already outlined.

Have you got the 2.2 or it looks like that's what you'll have come September? If it's the latter get your self placed in a firm now and make some contacts. It has two excellent side effects; better grades and an understanding of whether you want to be a solicitor or a barrister.

If you've already graduated you could still do work ex.

No haven't got it yet, just my christmas results.

Contact the careers service at your institution and get placed somewhere. Alternatively just do it yourself.

Contact the careers service at your institution and get placed somewhere. Alternatively just do it yourself.

Sweet, thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 newb12

do you need a 2.1 to sit the fe1s or does it matter? couldnt find it on the website

newb12 wrote: »
    do you need a 2.1 to sit the fe1s or does it matter? couldnt find it on the website

No, you don't even need a law degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Then you have a whole semester to kick it up a gear and get that 2:1 (Or First if you work really hard and the exams/CA are exceptionally nice). A bad set of Xmas results is not the be all and end all.

Hunker down and work your backside off for that 2:1 rather than being defeatist about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 catlaw

I have just received a 2.2 honours law degree but i am thinking of getting it reviewed, my average is 57.5, my worst exam turned out to be best mark, i am currently filling out the form to review two subjects, I am asked to add anything i want to say by writing on the back of the form, I am only looking for them to bring my average up to give me the 2.1, its only 2.50 more to get me there. I worked really hard this year but had 3 deaths in a short time which really took the focus off. I am a mature student with life experience and work experience behind me. I took the degree after losing my job of 16 years I really want this. How should I ask for this if they cant find the extra in a recheck of my work ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Just get work experience in a law firm.

Worth much more than any degree results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

There is a real shortage of trainee solicitors at the moment, so I'd say you'll be fine outside the Big 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 catlaw

Im looking at it at the moment, thats interesting perhaps it is worth pursuing

thank you

Advertisement