Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what breed of terrier is this girl?

• 22-02-2013 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what breed of terrier is this little girl? She is very small. Neighbours cat is taller than her! and she is quite long too...like a cat!

pic1.jpg
    DSCF2053.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Jack Russell cross, would be my guess. Probably some Dachshund if she's long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

just a plain old long haired jack russel,remember they can come in many sizes and shapes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Looks very like a Parson to me.

andreac wrote: »
    Looks very like a Parson to me.
    a parson is a jack russel,

No its not. A Parson Russell is a separate breed altogether.
    You have Parson Rusell terrier and a Jack Russell terrier. Both are a breed recognised of their own.

• Advertisement

No its not. A Parson Russell is a separate breed altogether.
    You have Parson Rusell terrier and a Jack Russell terrier. Both are a breed recognised of their own.
    both types of dogs came from the rev jack [john] russel he got his bitch trump from a milk man, in about 1826-1832 all the different jack russels you see today came directly from trump,canine experts believe that trump was a cross between a staffy and a now extinct english terrior,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

From Wikipedia - John Jack Russell she might be more of a Russell Terrier than a Parson of Jack Russell.

Russell Terrier"The overall dog is longer than high."
    "Temperament - A lively, alert and active Terrier with a keen, intelligent expression. Bold and fearless, friendly but quietly confident."
    "they walk with nose downward,... and queens of hole diggers."

...we've only had her a week but this is her to a T!!

Thanks for your help guys!

fifib wrote: »
    From Wikipedia - John Jack Russell she might be more of a Russell Terrier than a Parson of Jack Russell.

Russell Terrier"The overall dog is longer than high."
    "Temperament - A lively, alert and active Terrier with a keen, intelligent expression. Bold and fearless, friendly but quietly confident."
    "they walk with nose downward,... and queens of hole diggers."

...we've only had her a week but this is her to a T!!

Thanks for your help guys!
    there is a wonderful story about why the jack russel became so famous,which is well worth looking at,as the rev jack russel was a huntsman like his dad he ran a pack of hounds while the hounds would follow the scent of the fox,his dog trump would go directly to the lair and wait for them to turn up,now there is even a new kid on the block thats called the australian jack russel,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

getz wrote: »
    both types of dogs came from the rev jack [john] russel he got his bitch trump from a milk man, in about 1826-1832 all the different jack russels you see today came directly from trump,canine experts believe that trump was a cross between a staffy and a now extinct english terrior,

Cool story, any links for further reading?

Im just saying, to me she looks more like a Parson Rusell Terrier than the normal Jack Russell Terrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Im just saying, to me she looks more like a Parson Rusell Terrier than the normal Jack Russell Terrier.

I'd say the opposite. Parsons are usually leggier than regular Jackers.

ParsonRussellTerrierReignBoPurebredDog.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

She is a Jack Russell type. Parsons are longer in the leg. Friends of mine have both.

kylith wrote: »
    I'd say the opposite. Parsons are usually leggier than regular Jackers.

ParsonRussellTerrierReignBoPurebredDog.JPG

To me the dog in the OP has the head of a Parson, more of like a Parson head than Jacker head.

Have a look at the Parsons in this link. :-)
    http://www.jappatinparsonrussellterriers.com/wp/

Cool story, any links for further reading?
    you can google up,jack russell terrier history-the origins of the breed. or the book published in 1883 by his friend,the out-of- door life of the rev john russell a memoir by e w l davis.

Advertisement