If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What hardware for multiroom audio?

Options
  • 22-02-2013 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently in the planning phase of our house build and I plan to future proof the house with wiring.  
    • I want to install 3 sets of ceiling speakers in an open-ish plan kitchen/dining/living room.  
    • I would like to hook this up to be able to have different volume in each room (or turn it off in one). 
    • I also have a network drive with lots of MP3's that I would like to be able to play.
    • I'd like to be able to play radio stations
    • I'd like to have the "ugly" components hidden under the stairs and manage volume, mp3 selection through some form of interface in the kitchen.

In addition to the obvious 3 sets of ceiling speakers and lots of speaker cable what other hardware would I need or are there elements of my wish list that would need something like i-homes technology?  

Cheers,
    Ranleth

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Ranleth wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently in the planning phase of our house build and I plan to future proof the house with wiring.  

I want to install 3 sets of ceiling speakers in an open-ish plan kitchen/dining/living room.  
    I would like to hook this up to be able to have different volume in each room (or turn it off in one). 
    I also have a network drive with lots of MP3's that I would like to be able to play.
    I'd like to be able to play radio stations
    I'd like to have the "ugly" components hidden under the stairs and manage volume, mp3 selection through some form of interface in the kitchen.

In addition to the obvious 3 sets of ceiling speakers and lots of speaker cable what other hardware would I need or are there elements of my wish list that would need something like i-homes technology?  

Cheers,
    Ranleth
    Ranleth,

many thanks for your post and apologies for the delay getting back to you...

There are lots of different ways to attack your system - the easiest is probably using the Sonos range of kit however the inputs are slightly limited..

If you wanted a 3 Zone system you would need 3 * ZP120/connects and a BR100 Bridge
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/multi-room-components/sonos/connect:amp/sono-zp120uk

showimage.php?image=304982.jpg&max_width=300&max_height=260

The ZP120 are currently £349.95 each  and the BR100 is £39.95..

The Sonos will access internet Radio / Spotify / Napster / network drives / iTunes etc and each zone is indivcontrollable via smart phone or tablet... 

If you added the new and amazing Monitor Audio SCWT140 frameless in-ceiling speakers at £99.95 each (these really are stunning sounding and really compact speakers) you would have an amazing system..
    cwt-140.large.jpg
    (Don't worry they come including magnetically attachable grilles which cover all the edges...)

I could do a Boardie deal on the following system...

Sonos ZP120 * 3 ( Zone Amplifiers)
    Sonos BR100 * 1 ( Zone Bridge)
    Monitor Audio SCWT140 speakers * 6
    Cambridge Audio Symphony 100 Speaker cable * 100 Mtrs

Our normal discounted price is £1790 for this system - I can do the complete system on a Boardie special at £1599.95

Keep me posted if we can assist in any way or if you need any help in your planning,

Thanks again,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ranleth

Hi John,

Thanks for the quick response.  The Sonos system looks pretty good.  I like the fact that I could buy wireless speakers at a later date for use in other rooms.

I'll need to wait until closer to the build is complete before I know what my budget is for speakers but at the moment the Monitors are top of my list.  I could always start off with one amp and add additional one if the volume control per room was really necessary.

I'll definitely be in touch again.

Thanks again,
    Ranleth

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Ranleth wrote: »
    Hi John,

Thanks for the quick response.  The Sonos system looks pretty good.  I like the fact that I could buy wireless speakers at a later date for use in other rooms.

I'll need to wait until closer to the build is complete before I know what my budget is for speakers but at the moment the Monitors are top of my list.  I could always start off with one amp and add additional one if the volume control per room was really necessary.

I'll definitely be in touch again.

Thanks again,
    Ranleth
    Ranleth,

that's the beauty of separates as opposed to buying 'all in one systems' - separates give you the power to add to or improve the overall system over time..

Keep us posted with the build progress and as ever check the pricing before you take the plunge as the prices can change pretty quickly and unfortunately the price movement is normally downwards :( (Damn)

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.