Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid Parking for all Staff & Students

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

3-4 months for signage and meters?

Reminds me of the time at least 2 IT guys spent about a month updating the software on 10 computers.

UCD's financials are about as sound as a sieve. Its genuinely laughable in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 new2tri

So apparently this all on hold now as the unions have referred it to the labour court. Might be waiting a while for a hearing date!

new2tri wrote: »
    So apparently this all on now on hold as the unions have referred it to the labour court. Might be waiting a while for a hearing date!

Really? Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

n2o wrote: »

Surely if the case is made that parking is an automatic right for staff pre September this year we will be liable for tax as a benefit in kind?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭n2o

wonderworm wrote: »
    Surely if the case is made that parking is an automatic right for staff pre September this year we will be liable for tax as a benefit in kind?

Well there is no guarantee of getting parking so I don't think it qualifies. If you had a spot with your name on it then it might be different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

That car park (former car park?) over between Health Science and the student centre... what's the story with that?

Work has been ongoing since at least June (...earlier?), and all that seems to change is a pile of rubble gets moved from one part of the site to another. There hasn't been anything demolished, built or added (that I can see) all Summer.

Anyone any idea about what is actually supposed to eventually come out of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I heard from somewhere they were going to be putting some kinda green space in there? Will be interesting to see if they get something done by freshers week, and if not where the tent ends up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Yes I was thinking green space or running track, because there seems to be a marking for a path or track laid out.

*Farmer's hat* if they're wanting to be sowing grass they're leaving it a bit late.

Would the new student centre accommodate freshers week, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

They call it "on-going landscaping" at the moment. It's supposed to be a green space when it's finished. Not sure if they put a track there though, don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 drbtrenier

Hi People,

I'm a UCD student, living on campus... Does anyone know what the story actually is with parking right now? As in, will we have to pay for parking now from the beginning of term? And if so, how soon will you get a permit once you've paid for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

3-4 months for signage and meters?

Reminds me of the time at least 2 IT guys spent about a month updating the software on 10 computers.

Did they stop to use the loo and eat within that month? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 se

Anyone officially knows if we are going to pay for parking in UCD this year ? i am thinking of buying a car this week, would like to know all the afterward parking expenses.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jonnyj

I paid €12.50 for the parking permit today. NCPS said it will do until Christmas.

se wrote: »
    Anyone officially knows if we are going to pay for parking in UCD this year ? i am thinking of buying a car this week, would like to know all the afterward parking expenses.
    Thanks

Depending on your overall driving, the cost of parking would be a negligible expense if you need to use said car for a commute.

Do you know what really annoyed me though and I only noticed last night, the exclusive car parks for sports members are 24 hours. So even at 11pm if you were going to the student club, you can't park in what is probably the nearest car park. You need to park at the pitches. Maybe I'm wrong but that was my reading last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

jonnyj wrote: »
    I paid €12.50 for the parking permit today. NCPS said it will do until Christmas.

Where do you get these? Do they cover all UCD carpark areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭studentforever

http://www.ucd.ie/building/code/traffic.html
    Information on parking.

https://www.ncps.ie/permits_UCD.html
    Where to purchase the disc.

I bought mine yesterday but does anyone know if they post it out or it's collected on campus? I sent them an email but got a reply that it would be answered in the next 28 days...?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jonnyj

They told me that they would post it out. We might have them by the end of the week depending on the amount being ordered. The information relating to parking is very poor on the site to be fair. This is the map that I found but I suspect its out of date.

http://www.ucd.ie/building/downloads/traffic/Parking.pdf

Im assuming that with the permit I won't have any other charges...is this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Amphicoelias

You need this permit to park in free spaces (marked blue on map)? Or only for the pay and display (marked red on map)?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

ironclaw wrote: »
    Depending on your overall driving, the cost of parking would be a negligible expense if you need to use said car for a commute.

Do you know what really annoyed me though and I only noticed last night, the exclusive car parks for sports members are 24 hours. So even at 11pm if you were going to the student club, you can't park in what is probably the nearest car park. You need to park at the pitches. Maybe I'm wrong but that was my reading last night.

In the evening times this car park is absolutely deserted, but you will still be clamped. I took the risk and found out that yes, they still do clamp at 10pm. Goodbye EUR80!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You need this permit to park in free spaces (marked blue on map)? Or only for the pay and display (marked red on map)?

Just the pay and display, to the best of my knowledge. However the issue is that the university wants to remove the free spaces.

• Advertisement

Raphael wrote: »
    Just the pay and display, to the best of my knowledge. However the issue is that the university wants to remove the free spaces.

I hope they do,

It`s a joke the amount of workers from the city who park there and get the bus. Make students and staff pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I hope they do,

It`s a joke the amount of workers from the city who park there and get the bus. Make students and staff pay.

So punish the students and staff for what those workers are doing?

I hope they do,

Then the "fix" should be to clamp down on the "workers from the city", not to punish genuine users of the parking spots. Give students and staff of UCD a free permit to put on their car, anyone without the permit, clamp them

AdamD wrote: »
    So punish the students and staff for what those workers are doing?

No, not a punishment. A fee of €12.50 per semester for a permit for students/staff only should do the trick. (which is the current fee for a permit to park in pay & display).
    gline wrote: »
    Then the "fix" should be to clamp down on the "workers from the city", not to punish genuine users of the parking spots. Give students and staff of UCD a free permit to put on their car, anyone without the permit, clamp them

Sounds ideal, although a small fee (like €12.50) to cover the administration of issuing permits wouldn`t be the worst outcome.

Although in the documentation I have seen, they were proposing something like €0.50 per hour for students, up to a certain maximum per day.

No, not a punishment. A fee of €12.50 per semester for a permit for students/staff only should do the trick. (which is the current fee for a permit to park in pay & display).

Sounds ideal, although a small fee (like €12.50) to cover the administration of issuing permits wouldn`t be the worst outcome.

Although in the documentation I have seen, they were proposing something like €0.50 per hour for students, up to a certain maximum per day.

€12.50 for administration per student/staff driver? when it could all be done online and print out your permit. Thats a lot of money.

Though I do agree, if it was only a €12.50 fee for the whole year or even per semester that would be fine, but I have heard the €0.50 an hour charge being mentioned around also, which is too much, it could work out at €20+ a week for students.

Does anyone know the latest on this? Last I heard there were discussions going on with unions etc, when will we know for definite if these fees are coming in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭boarsboard

there should not be free parking,people should bus to work or cycle

boarsboard wrote: »

Its not possible for everyone to cycle lets alone get the bus. For me, its cheaper to drive and I live in North Wicklow. However I know plenty of people who commute from as close as Stillorgan. There should be reasonably permits issued, I'd happily pay for one if I was somewhat guaranteed a space. Paying for all parking however is a joke given other expenses / fee's the college collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

ironclaw wrote: »
    Its not possible for everyone to cycle lets alone get the bus. For me, its cheaper to drive and I live in North Wicklow. However I know plenty of people who commute from as close as Stillorgan. There should be reasonably permits issued, I'd happily pay for one if I was somewhat guaranteed a space. Paying for all parking however is a joke given other expenses / fee's the college collect.

And then at our graduation they asked us to support the college financially in the future!

This will probably be me if they bring in daily parking charges

8t8x8sVl.jpg

Chet T16 wrote: »
    And then at our graduation they asked us to support the college financially in the future!

This will probably be me if they bring in daily parking charges

The only thing missing from that Grad speech was a collection basket to be passed around :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bringupthebook

boarsboard wrote: »

What bubble do you live in? Do you not realise that some staff and students commute from long distances every day? That's part of normal life. Believe me I would say a lot of people who struggle to get a parking space during term time wish they could cycle/walk in.

Advertisement