Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid Parking for all Staff & Students

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

There will never be hourly parking as the only option, and I'll bet the farm on that.

By next september, free parking will very likely be gone, and a permit system will exist - the fact that one exists now is pretty strong evidence for that. They're not going to remove the free parking and take that away in one stroke. The reason the University isn't mentioning that is so that people can't argue against it, but all the advice and recommendations and surveys they've done support it. If the removal of free parking has gone to the labour court, they'll come back with a permit related compromise suggestion, and UCD will accept it. Everyone wins. The permits may end up free for staff, cheap for students, or free for existing staff, cheap for new staff and students though, which would be nice.

The big problem is that as long as there's free parking on campus, the university is having planning permission blocked for the commuting facilities that will bring the number of spaces back up to the legal limit, and I think is also being blocked from renewing permission on the temporary car parks that are expiring soonish. Plus they're going ahead with plans to turn lots into other stuff that should have happened alongside the commuting facility. All very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Raphael wrote: »
    There will never be hourly parking as the only option, and I'll bet the farm on that.

By next september, free parking will very likely be gone, and a permit system will exist - the fact that one exists now is pretty strong evidence for that. They're not going to remove the free parking and take that away in one stroke. The reason the University isn't mentioning that is so that people can't argue against it, but all the advice and recommendations and surveys they've done support it. If the removal of free parking has gone to the labour court, they'll come back with a permit related compromise suggestion, and UCD will accept it. Everyone wins. The permits may end up free for staff, cheap for students, or free for existing staff, cheap for new staff and students though, which would be nice.

The big problem is that as long as there's free parking on campus, the university is having planning permission blocked for the commuting facilities that will bring the number of spaces back up to the legal limit, and I think is also being blocked from renewing permission on the temporary car parks that are expiring soonish. Plus they're going ahead with plans to turn lots into other stuff that should have happened alongside the commuting facility. All very annoying.

At least a permit system would get rid of a lot of non-ucd commuters using it as cheap/free parking, it should free up some parking spots....technically

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

The permits may end up free for staff, cheap for students, or free for existing staff, cheap for new staff and students though, which would be nice.

it is not quite as easy as that. If permits are inexpensive then the number requested will exceed the number of spaces. So either you pay for a permit, but still don't get a space, or a plan is needed to ration permits.

Yeah, though that kinda seems like a given. I imagine permits will probably end at 50-75% capacity, with a certain amount being reserved for staff and a certain amount students, whatever they end up costing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

ucdperson wrote: »
    it is not quite as easy as that. If permits are inexpensive then the number requested will exceed the number of spaces. So either you pay for a permit, but still don't get a space, or a plan is needed to ration permits.

Yeah I can see this happening too. What would be nice however is if they are granted on a distance basis. Obviously nothing stopping someone from using the home address in say Galway when they live in Stillogran during term, but I'd like to think people wouldn't do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

ironclaw wrote: »
    but I'd like to think people wouldn't do that.

I think thats exactly what people would do.

Doing things on a distance basis and awarding access to permits is just a plain bad idea.

A) As you mentioned yourself, it's extremely open to abuse,
    B) It adds a huge amount of admin overhead to what would otherwise be "Give these out till they're all gone". When accomodation allocation was based on distance, it massively slowed down the processing speed, and still left people who could not feasibly commute out in the cold., partly due to:
    C) It's not neccessarily the best metric. By which I mean - A lives in south bray - 18km distance, 1 bus, 1 hour. B lives in Citwest- 16 kms, 2 buses, 1.5 hours. Does A deserve parking more than B?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Raphael wrote: »
    Doing things on a distance basis and awarding access to permits is just a plain bad idea.

A) As you mentioned yourself, it's extremely open to abuse,
    B) It adds a huge amount of admin overhead to what would otherwise be "Give these out till they're all gone". When accomodation allocation was based on distance, it massively slowed down the processing speed, and still left people who could not feasibly commute out in the cold., partly due to:
    C) It's not neccessarily the best metric. By which I mean - A lives in south bray - 18km distance, 1 bus, 1 hour. B lives in Citwest- 16 kms, 2 buses, 1.5 hours. Does A deserve parking more than B?

The fact that you've just done the calculation of how long it takes for each indicates that it is not impossible. Quite the contrary.

See B.

Edit: Also, even if it was someones job to plug the thousands of addresses provided into hittheroad.ie and meticulously compare travel times for each, there's a difference between 20 minutes a way on a 46A and 20 minutes away on a 17. I never said it was impossible, just impractical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 backline2013

Paid parking is nothing but a money grab by UCD. It will be a blanket cost for everyone with
    no planning other than how much they can get away with charging.

This will be the approach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmYBpgAC7Uw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

Planning to drive into UCD tomorrow to spend the day in the library. As a non-student (have an alumni library pass) whats the story with parking. Is the car park behind the arts building still free? And any restrictions on non-students in place i.e. all car parks require a disc saying you are a student or staff

sophya wrote: »
    Planning to drive into UCD tomorrow to spend the day in the library. As a non-student (have an alumni library pass) whats the story with parking. Is the car park behind the arts building still free? And any restrictions on non-students in place i.e. all car parks require a disc saying you are a student or staff

All the car parks that are Pay & Display are very clearly marked. Just double check before you leave your car. The tarmac car park behind Quinn is free, as is the large gravel car park. I can't say for sure if the Ag Car park is free, as far as I'm aware it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

ironclaw wrote: »
    All the car parks that are Pay & Display are very clearly marked. Just double check before you leave your car. The tarmac car park behind Quinn is free, as is the large gravel car park. I can't say for sure if the Ag Car park is free, as far as I'm aware it is.

Thanks. Might leave it behind Quinn then. As long as I didn't need to worry about not having a disc its grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bringupthebook

sophya wrote: »
    And any restrictions on non-students in place i.e. all car parks require a disc saying you are a student or staff

That would make too much sense! You will get parking no problem tomorrow. There are a couple of pay & display car parks so just don't park in them. Back of Quinn is prob your best option if using library

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Amphicoelias

To anybody who has paid for a parking permit...

Did you get it in the post? I paid almost three weeks ago and still waiting. I rang NCPS a few times and they take my message, say they will ring back..and then don`t.

I wonder is there actually supposed to be a permit or does it just go by your reg.

To anybody who has paid for a parking permit...

Did you get it in the post? I paid almost three weeks ago and still waiting. I rang NCPS a few times and they take my message, say they will ring back..and then don`t.

I wonder is there actually supposed to be a permit or does it just go by your reg.

Was only thinking the same thing today. Given NCPS's general tactics, wouldn't surprise me if there was a 'backlog' and you'll get it sometime in mid-October. In my view, the payment receipt should be enough as proof you have a permit given the time elapsed i.e. You've paid for it and they have not indicated in a reasonable amount of time that you are not entitled to it. Kinda depends if you want to argue with them or not over a clamp. I would :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I didn't get mine yet either, although I finally got an email back from them asking me to confirm my student number (despite it being on the form). Hope it arrives soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I haven't received mine either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

They seem to take very long. I called them about mine and they said I'll be covered on their system with my reg number until the end of October by which time the actual permits should've arrived which will cover me until the end of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Amphicoelias

Mine actually arrived today.

I was p*ssed off earlier and told them to refund me, but I have the permit now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Got mine today as well. Just to let those who are still waiting know: maybe contact them by phone. Even though I had paid weeks ago and should've been on the system, they still had to put it up after I rang them. Just make sure you're covered!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Paid for mine 2 weeks ago and no sign either, but yeah I'm covered until Oct 30th on their system. What an odd setup! :confused: Were they expecting people to wait 6+ weeks and not wonder where their permit was.

Advertisement