Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

truth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Ah crap, I have all of them...twice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Problem with this rant is that for 90% of people who get these sort of tattoos, it'll be their first tattoo. People who have a few already or spend a lot of time reading about tattoos tend to stop getting this sort of stuff. Whilst what the artist is saying is true, people reading a tattoo artists blog probably aren't interested in getting this sorta thing done anymore anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I love it. I want an angry blog now to add my opinions of what are crap tattoos :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I have a womans hair exploding into ravens/crows...does that count? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Interesting read, one thing I can't stand though is tattoo snobbery.

Somebody decided to get something inked on their body, fair enough its their body and they can put whatever the fcuk they want on it for all I care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

i read that and all i got was BLA BLA BLA Im a tattoo snob BLA BLA BLA.

Customer is always right. If they want script why the hell are you to rant that they didnt get the image you created instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

What I picked up from it was that from his experience it's the stuff that people tend to regret the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I've read that before had mixed thoughts on it to be honest. While I might agree with some of the sentiments in it, im sure the person getting it loves it and when it comes to tattoo aint that all that matters really?

We all have our own personal taste in what we do and don't like people with tattoos constantly complain about those people who judge us for having tattoos yet artists and tattoo'd people will judge you for what tattoos you have.

I've done it myself I will admit but don't make it right. I actually done what the artist says in his blog with a saying I liked and got an artist mostly with a little bit of help from myself to change the saying into images and I love it but if someone wants a script tattoo power to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

He's actually criticised them more from a technical point of view, as in these type of tattoos don't look well or hold up well, mostly. Bit of opinion thrown in but he gives fair points from an artists experience.

Mine are just opinions cause I don't deny being a snob in many ways :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Boom gewan for just getting what you liked inked on you and not whats popular!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

It used to be tramp stamps and now song lyrics.

Have to say I hate both but I would like a nice Sarte quote on my ribs.Just cant decide which one!!!

I do like this one

"There is only one day left, always starting over: it is given to us at dawn and taken away from us at dusk."

"Words are loaded pistols."

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

that read wouldn't put me off getting any of those.so far i don't have any of the four but i have been considering getting the script "how many miles to babylon" for some time now.its based on the first ever conversation that my wife and i had when we were just 16 and a subsequent song i wrote for her years later.plus,i quite like tattoos of feathers (or a womans hair) exploding into birds

Yeah, I have some script as part of my ink and to be honest the 'its lazy getting script done' attitude annoys me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I read it with a pinch of salt, it's quite amusing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

D3PO wrote: »

Customer is always right

This is demonstrably not true. If a carpenter tells you a wall is not strong enough to support your planned shelves, the fact that you have money won't change that.

This is demonstrably not true. If a carpenter tells you a wall is not strong enough to support your planned shelves, the fact that you have money won't change that.

apples and oranges. You are a tattoo artist, by all means give your opinion to your clients on what you think a particular tattoo will look like after completion, but ultimately what they decide is right is right regardless of your opinion.

I find it particularly amusing that said blogger has such an issue with script and the fact his client wouldnt take his or her opinion onboard yet still did the tattoo. Classic sign of a hypocrite.

Everybody is welcome to their opinion on style etc, and by all means critise one style, but dont blog online about how shi*t something looks and then in the next sentence say you did it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

First time I've seen one of these exploding feather tattoos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

That script tattoo is ridiculous. I wouldn't be against them per se, they can look good and offset an image really well, too many words is defo a no go.

I think Damo got it right. These types of tattoos, like tramp stamps before and whatever else was popular before, are the ones that a lot of people get and come to regret.

Other then that it was a good read and having a browse on the site it's a good read.

I find it particularly amusing that said blogger has such an issue with script and the fact his client wouldnt take his or her opinion onboard yet still did the tattoo. Classic sign of a hypocrite.

Everybody is welcome to their opinion on style etc, and by all means critise one style, but dont blog online about how shi*t something looks and then in the next sentence say you did it anyway.

Well, of course they did the tattoo. If an artist was to turn away every tattoo they didn't like they'd never make a living.

I think the article is more an opinion on passing fads in tattooing than anything else.

Well, of course they did the tattoo. If an artist was to turn away every tattoo they didn't like they'd never make a living.

I think the article is more an opinion on passing fads in tattooing than anything else.

You are of course correct. That doesnt detract from the fact they are hypocricical. You cant post online on one hand that people shouldnt get these tattoos and then on the other happily do them as it keeps the tills ringing.

Of course everybody is entitled to an opinion but this particular blog is visoral and agressive in its tone. You can almost see the artist in question nodding and smiling as they complete these tattoos they have such issue with and then ranting online about how awful they are.

• Advertisement

You are of course correct. That doesnt detract from the fact they are hypocricical. You cant post online on one hand that people shouldnt get these tattoos and then on the other happily do them as it keeps the tills ringing.

Of course everybody is entitled to an opinion but this particular blog is visoral and agressive in its tone. You can almost see the artist in question nodding and smiling as they complete these tattoos they have such issue with and then ranting online about how awful they are.

I honestly dont pick that up at all, if anything it's humorous. Just because you work in a field doesn't mean you can't have an opinion on it, be it negative or positive.

I honestly dont pick that up at all, if anything it's humorous. Just because you work in a field doesn't mean you can't have an opinion on it, be it negative or positive.

hey eveybody is entitled to an opinion ive said that earlier. I don't pick up any humerous tones in the article at all, if very much comes across to me as a case of there are so many people out there that are sheep and get rubbish tattoos that are done over and over.

Now of course there will be those that regret it as there will with those that get one off pieces designed. I get a big whiff of snobbery from the thread and very little humour you can put your point across without being condecending and nasty two attributes I find in this blog, but again thats only my opinion.

My take on it is that everybody is entitled to their opinion and that nobody is forced to agree or disagree with it (christ I sound like one of the Neutrals from Futurama here :pac: )

Personally I don't agree with the opinion of the author of the article in question but their opinion doesn't particularly offend me so I'll let it slide (like the majority of opinions that I don't agree with).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

apples and oranges. You are a tattoo artist, by all means give your opinion to your clients on what you think a particular tattoo will look like after completion, but ultimately what they decide is right is right regardless of your opinion.

well, no, it isn't. wanting to buy something will not make your opinion right. there is such a thing as too small, wrong shape, bad placement, poor composition, too fine, too light, poor color scheme, racist and plain old not doable in the skin. These are not opinions of an artist, this is a skilled and experienced tradesman. and if you don't believe the person who will be tattooing you is a skilled tradesman, why on earth are you talking to them at all?

dude's a jerk, doesn't mean the customer is right, in fact, I would go as far as to say the customer is at fault for not researching /putting in the time/ patience into finding their tattooist

well yes. but that's bloggers for you

Hope you dont mind me asking and sorry for de railing the thread ignore if you please but would be interested to hear your perspective on artists who do racist tattoos? Since yeh mentioned it in above post. I can think of one very well known artist who attracts a lot of attention for his racist tattoo's and seems to like the controversy they cause.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hope you dont mind me asking and sorry for de railing the thread ignore if you please but would be interested to hear your perspective on artists who do racist tattoos? Since yeh mentioned it in above post. I can think of one very well known artist who attracts a lot of attention for his racist tattoo's and seems to like the controversy they cause.

Marty--What do you mean by "Racist" tattoos?

For example there are people out there that would consider a bulldog ripping up a flag racist.There are leprechauns that Ive seen that I find racist towards the Irish.

Are we talking neo-nazi stuff?

Im going to be honest here and say that Ive always wanted an Iron Cross tattoo...not because Im facist but because Im a Motorhead and Ozzy fan--both have used iron crosses in their artwork.

Ive always also wanted a swastika--again because of its true meaning which is "to be good" (I have hindu friends who explained it to me)

The way I look at both of these symbols is that the symbols didnt kill people--it was an evil evil person that did it.

However in saying that if I ever got either then Id be looked at in a completely different light<<<Id end up like Father Ted trying to explain that Im not racist and thats not worth the hassle.

With regards to the neo-nazi stuff I find most of these idiots get them done in order to make themselves look "tough" when they arent really that hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Ive always also wanted a swastika--again because of its true meaning which is "to be good" (I have hindu friends who explained it to me)

A Swastika is in the books for me too. For the exact reason you mentioned. Though I wouldn't be brave enough to get one on its own. I'll be getting it blended in with a geometrical design.

For example there are people out there that would consider a bulldog ripping up a flag racist.There are leprechauns that Ive seen that I find racist towards the Irish.

Im going to be honest here and say that Ive always wanted an Iron Cross tattoo...not because Im facist but because Im a Motorhead and Ozzy fan--both have used iron crosses in their artwork.

The way I look at both of these symbols is that the symbols didnt kill people--it was an evil evil person that did it.

However in saying that if I ever got either then Id be looked at in a completely different light<<<Id end up like Father Ted trying to explain that Im not racist and thats not worth the hassle.

With regards to the neo-nazi stuff I find most of these idiots get them done in order to make themselves look "tough" when they arent really that hard.

Interestingly, one of my pieces contains the Iron Cross, is it because I'm some sort of German militarist? No because it symbols imperialism, which was one of the main inspirational concepts behind me studying what I did

Yeh I get what your saying but the artist in question has done blatant racist tattoo's neo nazi yes. One he has in his portfolio is of a child in the foreground with the number 88 on his t-shirt doing the heil Hitler and in the backround someone hanging off a street light it's pretty shocking really, along with plenty of protraits of famous Nazis in uniform.

The Swastika is something I've always liked myself and would get a tattoo of but it would have to be done in the right way as not enough people know the true meaning behind it and automatically think Nazi.

Something by Ferank Manseed who is a big advocate of swastika tattoos and all his tattoo;s are hand poked

27884_1462127202599_6961390_n.jpg

293004_3510329086366_1924112433_n.jpg

313588_2425340562331_1481560126_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

One of my favourite tattoos was a swastika done in the middle of a lotus across the palms of someones hand. Cannot find a pic of it anymore but it was amazing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement