Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Sorting Office

Options
  • 22-02-2013 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

Hey, hoping someone can give me a quick answer here..

I missed a package in the post this morning so have to go and collect it from the place away out on the Tuam Road. Problem is I have no car and I'm at work until closing time Monday to Friday. The only way I'll be able to get out is to leave work early and make my way there by bus and walk the rest of the way.

I'm not at all familiar with the east side of the city so could someone give me an estimate of how long it'll take by bus from Eyre Square (think its the 405?), where exactly I get off and how long a walk I'll have?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's a 45 minute walk from Eyre Square

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

You can redirect it for €3 online. Maybe get it delivered to your work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

ArtyC wrote: »

If the thing actually arrived on time I'd be happy enough to do that but its already over a week late so I'd really prefer not to have to wait another three days for it now.

If I can walk it in 45 mins then I might just do that, it'll save me waiting for a bus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Harps wrote: »
    Hey, hoping someone can give me a quick answer here..

I missed a package in the post this morning so have to go and collect it from the place away out on the Tuam Road. Problem is I have no car and I'm at work until closing time Monday to Friday. The only way I'll be able to get out is to leave work early and make my way there by bus and walk the rest of the way.

I'm not at all familiar with the east side of the city so could someone give me an estimate of how long it'll take by bus from Eyre Square (think its the 405?), where exactly I get off and how long a walk I'll have?

Thanks

Get off the 405 when it gets to the Ballybrit industrial estate.

Follow this route. It's about a 20 minute walk, but be careful of the stretch after Castlegar Church there's no footpath only a hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

dont forget to bring some ID!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

antoobrien wrote: »
    Get off the 405 when it gets to the Ballybrit industrial estate.

Follow this route. It's about a 20 minute walk, but be careful of the stretch after Castlegar Church there's no footpath only a hard shoulder.

there is a footpath behind the grass verge,near trees

barone wrote: »
    there is a footpath behind the grass verge,near trees

IIRC that only goes as far as parkmore lane, not to the gates of the center.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

So did you walk it, bus it? Was the parcel worth it? :)

I was planning on taking the bus and using antoobriens route but only got out of work at 4.30, started walking hoping I'd catch a bus at one of the stops but never saw one so had to walk the whole way, took about 40 minutes from Eyre Square so not too bad. Got a bus on the way back from opposite a Tavern or Inn or something, can't remember the name, 405 is my regular bus anyway so it took me all the way home.

And the package was a shiny new Xperia phone so definitely worth it yes :D

Thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

I will be in Galway Monday. Unless they close before 4pm I can collect it after that and meet ya somewhere. I know there is a way for somebody else to collect a package on your behalf, not sure how, but, if there's a way I don't mind, 'cuz I'll be up there anyways.

• Advertisement

See my last post above. Thanks for the offer anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Where do you redirect it online? Is it an An Post service or do you mean parcel motel?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

The drag was when they centralised the phone connection, up til then which was about 2 years ago, you could ring the sorting office and get whatever redelivered the next day. Now the person answering the phone is in Dublin. Unless it's changed again.

Why they can't have a collection point connected to the Eglinton St post office is beyond me. I heard that was where it was initially. Would be a lot easier for just about every customer wouldn't it?

It's just simpler and more convenient for most people to use Parcel Motel these days. At least their pick up points are central.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The customer (ie the person who pays) is the sender, not the receiver. So the current system is set up for customers ... but not for receivers -:(

As someone said .... parcel motel is the way to go.

Stevolende wrote: »
    Why they can't have a collection point connected to the Eglinton St post office is beyond me. I heard that was where it was initially. Would be a lot easier for just about every customer wouldn't it?

The sorting office was moved out of Eglinton St years ago, so the postmen & women would not normally be going anywhere near Eglinton st unless their route brought them into the neighbourhood.

Besides, getting to the very center of town would be harder for most of the citizenry than getting to the sorting office.

I'm afraid I'm bringing this up again because I didn't get an answer earlier and it would be useful to know for most people. Do An Post offer a redirect service if you can't collect your parcel?Is that what you mean??

3Euro would be cheaper than a taxi or a bus out to there and back.

Also Antoobrien, spoken like someone who lives on the east side. Getting out to the place on the Tuam rd nearly requires a day set aside if you happen to have no car and live on the westside.Its impossible if you have work unless you pay for a taxi. That is a ridiculous state of affairs. I agree Ellington st isn't the best spot because of lack of parking but there should be some place more central,like an area in one of the business parks,shopping centres on the headford rd where there's plenty parking.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm afraid I'm bringing this up again because I didn't get an answer earlier and it would be useful to know for most people. Do An Post offer a redirect service if you can't collect your parcel?Is that what you mean??

3Euro would be cheaper than a taxi or a bus out to there and back.

Also Antoobrien, spoken like someone who lives on the east side. Getting out to the place on the Tuam rd nearly requires a day set aside if you happen to have no car and live on the westside.Its impossible if you have work unless you pay for a taxi. That is a ridiculous state of affairs. I agree Ellington st isn't the best spot because of lack of parking but there should be some place more central,like an area in one of the business parks,shopping centres on the headford rd where there's plenty parking.

There are details on the delivery slip.

if you happen to have no car and live on the westside.

Like I said - the majority of the citizenry. That said though, there should be a distribution center west of the corrib.

Besides, if we are to believe some posters around here a) there are only about 5 people that have no car west of the corrib and b) one should easily be able to cycle out there - regardless of the size of the package.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

With rising tax, fuel costs, operating costs, there has to be some benefit to be fair. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement