Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD Scholarships

Options
  • 22-02-2013 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi,

Anyone know of any PhD Scholarships offered by either DCC or Fingal CoCo? Or any funding opportunities for PhD Study. I'm currently finishing MA in Ulster Uni and applying for PhD studies there.. if I can manage to fund it!

Any help will be great!

Ciara

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

marmalady wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone know of any PhD Scholarships offered by either DCC or Fingal CoCo? Or any funding opportunities for PhD Study. I'm currently finishing MA in Ulster Uni and applying for PhD studies there.. if I can manage to fund it!

Any help will be great!

Ciara

Have a look on www.studentfinance.ie. I'm not sure if you can apply for a postgraduate student grant to study in a Northern university (I know you can for undergraduate study, but I'm not 100% on postgrad). In any case, the student grant will only cover fees (partial in most cases), with no contribution to your living costs. Otherwise, you could try applying for AHRC/ESRC funding from the University of Ulster, which is the UK government's funding via Research Councils UK, or for any scholarships the university offers internally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I recently got accepted for a PhD at NUIG under the Hardiman Research Scholarship. It's full fees and €16k a year. The deadline has already passed for 2013 but it might be worth a look the following year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

marmalady wrote: »
    Hi,

Any help will be great!

Ciara
    The possibilities for PhD funding are literally endless - it depends on what you want to research and where you want to research it. I don't think district councils are likely to provide the kind of funding you're looking for - you need to be looking at the UK research councils or try to obtain core funding from the university itself. The best thing is to discuss the possibilities with whomever you're thinking of doing a PhD with, because it's with them that you'll be applying for funding (if they don't have any already).

There is one thing I would point out though - considering just one university for your PhD is extremely restrictive. I would strongly advise you to broaden your search. Why not look for positions that are already funded? Here's a decent website for finding research positions in the UK:

http://www.jobs.ac.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 35 marmalady

Thank you everybody! Very helpful!

Advertisement