Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many meals?

• 22-02-2013 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I read about giving 2 meals when a dog is adult.. some people give only 1.
    Actually mine is a puppy (5 months today) and I am giving him breakfast at 8, lunch around 13 and dinner around 19.

Why should I switch to two meals when he is adult?
    If I have the possibility isn't better to give 3 meals instead of 2?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mine are on 3 meals a day (0745, 1800, 2330). I was feeding them twice a day, but they got into the habit of being fed thrice while staying with a friend. If you want to feed three times a day do, the dog won't mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah yeah keep feeding him that way if it suits you best. I wouldn't agree with only giving one meal a day at all. Dogs enjoy eating just like people. :) We could get our recommended calorie intake in one meal, but I'm sure we all prefer to get them through a few meals.

So long as he's not over eating there's no problem with him having 3 meals, or even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

If you can continue to feed 3 meals a day, then do that. Dogs that are prone to bloat (and that includes Setters as they have a deep and narrow chest) are better being fed little and often. Plus he'll love you for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Mine get 3 meals a day too. Breakfast, lunch and dinner - and a snack before bed. Aside from the fact I feel its better for their digestion it gives them extra events a day to get excited about :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

maggiepip wrote: »
    Mine get 3 meals a day too.

Mine too :o

It doesn't matter at all how many times you feed your dog, what matters is how much you feed him! So as long as his adult daily allowance is not exceeded in the three meals a day, it does no harm. On the contrary, others here have highlighted the advantages to feeding thrice daily.
    I got into the habit of it as one, sometimes more of my dogs would vomit up foam and bile if their tummies were empty, usually in the hours around dawn. The quickest solution was to add an extra little meal at bedtime. The habit has stuck now after a few years, but I see no reason to change!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

thanks a lot for all the answers!

actually I give him a bit less than what is supposed at 5 months because I give him "a lot" of other food trough his kong (when I go to work) and for training purposes..
    I hope it's ok but he seems to be happy and healthy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭foreversky

2 times a day around 9 in morning and between 5.30 and 6.00 with bonio biscuits during the day as a treat.:).hes 8 mths setter x,he poops in the morning and before he goes to bed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I feed my lad three times a day, 8 am, 1 pm and 6 and it suits him grand. He only poops once a day too. :)

I don't why in many articles online I was reading once or twice... maybe it was written thinking to the people out for work.
    I will do three times until I can because I think is better.
    And this problem of the stomach always scares me :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

We just fill his bowl in the morning and leave it for him whenever he wants it. He doesn't get any more when that's gone but we don't give him 'meals' as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

jsabina wrote: »
    Hi,
    I read about giving 2 meals when a dog is adult.. some people give only 1.
    Actually mine is a puppy (5 months today) and I am giving him breakfast at 8, lunch around 13 and dinner around 19.

Why should I switch to two meals when he is adult?
    If I have the possibility isn't better to give 3 meals instead of 2?

Thanks!

Stumbled on this Burns video for their puppy food:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxoAElHGkOg

(From 3.41) she mentioned not to overfeed your puppy - that people talk about 'chunky' puppies, whereas a leaner pup is better as they would have less problems with joints as they get older.

(From 4.22) For the number of meals they recommend:-
    4 weeks - 12 weeks 4 meals
    12 weeks - 6 months 3 meals
    6 months (onwards) 2 meals

The above is Burns view. :)

thanks..
    but if I should give him 375gr of his foog I am giving him 3 meals or 100gr approx and the kongs and treats for training..
    so I suppose is not overfeeding

Advertisement