Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow broadband speed and ping spikes.

Options
  • 22-02-2013 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

For the past few months my broadband speed has dropped from 3.5mb to below 2mb. The package I have is the supposedly 8mb NGB, although I have never got anywhere near this speed.

3.5mb is bad enough, but dropping below 2mb is not acceptable really. Before switching to NGB, I had a download speed of about 3.3mb. However since the switch, my download speed is rarely stable.

I had an engineer out to inspect the phone line last year in an attempt to figure out what the issues were. I was given many 'reasons' ranging from the router I was using "wasn't the recommended model for eircom's internet", the adaptor I was using for the router wasn't the correct one, I was five miles from the nearest exchange - I'm just over 1 mile from my nearest exchange -etc etc.

I understand that the NGB offers up to 8mb, but I did not expect a drop in speed.

Also, more recently I have noticed MASSIVE ping spikes during online gaming. My ping is usually between 30-50ms which isn't so bad. However, lately I have been experiencing rapid ping spikes ranging anywhere between the reasonably acceptable lows of 30-50ms to over 1000ms. This is pretty unacceptable.

Is there anything you guys can do on your end, before I seek an alternative broadband provider.

Regards,

nummnutts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

nummnutts wrote: »
    For the past few months my broadband speed has dropped from 3.5mb to below 2mb. The package I have is the supposedly 8mb NGB, although I have never got anywhere near this speed.

3.5mb is bad enough, but dropping below 2mb is not acceptable really. Before switching to NGB, I had a download speed of about 3.3mb. However since the switch, my download speed is rarely stable.

I had an engineer out to inspect the phone line last year in an attempt to figure out what the issues were. I was given many 'reasons' ranging from the router I was using "wasn't the recommended model for eircom's internet", the adaptor I was using for the router wasn't the correct one, I was five miles from the nearest exchange - I'm just over 1 mile from my nearest exchange -etc etc.

I understand that the NGB offers up to 8mb, but I did not expect a drop in speed.

Also, more recently I have noticed MASSIVE ping spikes during online gaming. My ping is usually between 30-50ms which isn't so bad. However, lately I have been experiencing rapid ping spikes ranging anywhere between the reasonably acceptable lows of 30-50ms to over 1000ms. This is pretty unacceptable.

Is there anything you guys can do on your end, before I seek an alternative broadband provider.

Regards,

nummnutts.

Hi nummnutts

Would you like to PM me your landline number/ account details? I will look into this and run a few tests on your line

Regards

Al

Advertisement