Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humbert Half Iron 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I wont go on about this race too much as its like a broken record with me - I have stated often enough I reckon it is one of the best run races in the country from my experience in a class location ;)

This will be my 4th year doing it all going well

I am hoping to hold on to as much of my A race form from Kilkee in the two weeks between them to give Amphibiankingwimp a good beating and to get well under 5.30 like I had hoped last year. Perhaps Couredelion as well if he joins you Elvis :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

catweazle wrote: »
    I wont go on about this race too much as its like a broken record with me - I have stated often enough I reckon it is one of the best run races in the country from my experience in a class location ;)

I am hoping to hold on to as much of my A race form from Kilkee in the two weeks between them to give Amphibiankingwimp a good beating and to get well under 5.30 like I had hoped last year. Perhaps Couredelion as well if he joins you Elvis :D

How did i know you'd be 1st to post;)

I believe he is and only that June 29th is part of my run specific week i'd be down in Kilkee:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

il be there, cycling and running only, swim a bit too far for me this year.. so itl be a relay with the wife..must get a few spins up that hill i hear its a killer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Unless your getting nearer to 5 you won't stand a chance....

*SMACK...DOWN!!

I am hoping to hold on to as much of my A race form from Kilkee in the two weeks between them to give Amphibiankingwimp a good beating and to get well under 5.30

^^^See that big fat well up above^^^

Theres a best of a hill on this bike route Sean, I would worry about you getting that weight you are carrying over it in one piece. You should go for the Sprint the day before you would do well in that in your age grade ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Im signing up - Never done a tri before , my celebration for completing the swim alive will prob be more than when I cross the finish line

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I'll be there looking to go under 5:45 after a disastrous 6:22 last year.

Looking forward to another massive lasagne afterwards.

f*ck ..just saw its 150 to enter a team..
    wont be doing it so.. might be around for a look though

woody1 wrote: »
    f*ck ..just saw its 150 to enter a team..
    wont be doing it so.. might be around for a look though

Pop them an email to the organisers and mark your interest - plenty of interest in only doing one or two sections, they do a lot of chopping and changing coming up to the date so it might cost you less

Pop them an email to the organisers and mark your interest - plenty of interest in only doing one or two sections, they do a lot of chopping and changing coming up to the date so it might cost you less
    yeah i could probably find a couple of others to do it and divide it by 3, but the idea was to get better half to swim as shes a good swimmer but just needs the motivation to get into pool and train, and then id do bike and run for the challenge for meself.. as it is its 150 out of 1 pocket effectively, i could definitely find a runner, but it less appealing to me then... sure il think about it...i doubt the relay spots will fill up too fast anyway

• Advertisement

yeah i could probably find a couple of others to do it and divide it by 3, but the idea was to get better half to swim as shes a good swimmer but just needs the motivation to get into pool and train, and then id do bike and run for the challenge for meself.. as it is its 150 out of 1 pocket effectively, i could definitely find a runner, but it less appealing to me then... sure il think about it...i doubt the relay spots will fill up too fast anyway

Can you not swim at all ?

depends on your definition of swim, i can do a width handy enough, im hoping to graduate to a length shortly :) .. swimming 1900m in a lake ( which im presuming is a bit more than 6ft deep ) would be a long long way beyond me..
    the target for this year is to swim down the moy in july..and im happy enough that thats possible, with a lot of work, 1/2 iron swim would be a bit too far

depends on your definition of swim, i can do a width handy enough, im hoping to graduate to a length shortly :) .. swimming 1900m in a lake ( which im presuming is a bit more than 6ft deep ) would be a long long way beyond me..
    the target for this year is to swim down the moy in july..and im happy enough that thats possible, with a lot of work, 1/2 iron swim would be a bit too far

Fair enough , I'll be taking plenty of breaks anyway and taking around 1hour or so ,so if ya think ya can do it slowly with a bit of breast stoke , doggy paddle and on your back then go for it !

regarding the depth Ive been told its nearly impossilbe to sink in a wetsuit !

if there is single entry available closer to the actual race and the swimming had improved enough i wouldnt rule it out.. but when i cant swim a length at the moment then its a bit premature to enter now..

Listen 2 years ago i couldn't swim 25m swim and my standard session is now 2k, i'm still not 100% happy in deep water but it can be done !

if there is single entry available closer to the actual race and the swimming had improved enough i wouldnt rule it out.. but when i cant swim a length at the moment then its a bit premature to enter now..

Why not put it out there that you'd like to put a team togerher from here to do the event, no doubt you'll get 2 others interested !

Why not put it out there that you'd like to put a team togerher from here to do the event, no doubt you'll get 2 others interested !

see earlier post re getting better half to do the swim etc.. i just didnt appreciate that it would be 150 quid to enter, thats not a complaint about price just that i didnt figure on it being that much.....

Listen 2 years ago i couldn't swim 25m swim and my standard session is now 2k, i'm still not 100% happy in deep water but it can be done !

not saying it cant be done, up to 2 years ago i had a pathological fear of water..you couldnt pay me to get in a pool, so the fact that i can now almost do a length is huge,.just itd be wiser to wait until closer to the event to decide,might be better to try to complete a sprint race first !!

Less than 2 weeks left and there seems to be a lot of Boardies heading down ! Really looking forward to it !

I've had a premature taper, no real running since the 16th of June and missed my long bike yesterday due to a mechanical. This week should be fun.

going to be over there to watch it..the plan is to do it next year , bridge too far this year..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

This is going to be my first half ironman and i'm not exactly sure what to expect. Did a few olympics last year but not really sure what else I have to think about for the HIM in terms of nutrition/setup etc. I would greatly appreciate any advice from the boardsies (especially those of you who have done this race before). I'm hoping to get under 6 hours and my current (very rough) plan for the race is as follows:

Swim:
    Stick to the back of the pack for the start. Ease into the swim. If i'm feeling good after 15 min up the pace a bit. I plan to sight often to keep the swim distance down. Hopefully exit the water after 45 min.

T1:
    This is where I start to get a bit vague. Do people use socks for longer races to stop blistering? What about a cycling jersey? Would you bother with one? I won't be clipping the shoes in so will be running through T1 in bike shoes. Finally, where do people store their nutrition? Cycling jersey, top tube bag? Saddle will be shunted far forward to get position on the clip on aero bars so a saddle bag isn't an option for me.

Bike leg:
    Plan is to get some solid food like a banana and some water into me early on. Then i'll take a gel every 40 min or so with just water/salt tabs in the water bottles. What's the deal with getting extra water on the bike? Are there generally aid stations? Currently limited to carrying 1.5 litres which I imagine won't sustain me for a 3 hour bike ride. Also do people actually pee on the bike or do you just try to hold it all in and hope your bladder doesn't burst?? Hopefully if I survive all this I should be into T2 in under 4 hours.

T2:
    I reckon for comfort again the speed laces probably aren't the best idea for the long run but I don't really know. Never done more than 10k with them. This should hopefully be pretty straight forward. Gel every 40 min, water from the aid stations. Again I plan to start slow for the first 5 km or so and then gradually increase the pace. Settle into a rhythm then and wait till the last 5km to push for the line.

I would really appreciate any feedback on this plan: anything you have learnt from your experiences. Right now I know i'm not clear enough in my head about what to expect during this race and i'm probably likely to panic if something happens that I haven't planned for/thought of! Cheers, and sorry for such a long post.

Best of luck to you Mirror!

Swim
    The swim should be easy to sight on, they have the large oversized buoys and with it being a sheltered lake the water will be still, its out and around an island and back again

T1
    Yes I always used socks for 1/2 ironman distance. Whether I would wear something over the tri suit would be down to the weather on the day. I used a gilet last year but previous years just the suit was fine. Be careful if running around transition area in the cycling shoes if its wet as the area is grass. I store a few gels in the back of the tri suit but I used a bento box (top tube bag) for some more solid food like Nutrigrain bars which I can usually stomach at the start of the cycle.

Bike
    Dont go too hard on the bike - you will destroy your run and eat loads. I am away on holidays this year so not sure but in previous years you get two water stops. They were handed to you as full water bottles so I tended to just throw the ones i had finished into the bin provided in that area. There is only one real tough hill on this course (the windy gap) which you hit around the 25k mark, there is a long drag just before this, be careful and leave some energy in the tank for the main hill. Go down to as easy a gear as you have as if you drop your chain going up it you wont be able to get back on. There is three slight eases in the gradient on this hill so make sure and get your breath back in these areas. Its not long about 3k in total with the worst part being around a k in length. Keep an eye on the road as the distance markers are on it, be careful if its windy after you go up that hill as the next section is crazy fast

Run
    I wore speed laces last year and it didn't bother me but plenty of people use the proper shoes for this type of distance. The aid stations are good, plenty of orange peel and isotonic drinks and coke is served at the last few. I find the coke a huge help towards the end. The profile doesnt look bad but its a tough run, there is one big hill 1k from the start and the rest is rolling

Hope you enjoy it, it ruined my year having to miss it, looks like they are going to have record numbers this year as well so I am delighted for them as they run a great race

The best thing about the aid stations was the wet sponges, I've never had that elsewhere and it was a real help in the sun last year. The hyper kids ferrying drinks out from the aid stations were great fun too.

Nice one, thanks catweazle. It's actually because of all the good recommendations about the race on this website that i signed up in the first place!

I figured there'd be aid stations on the bike but wasn't sure. It's probably a good idea to get some cheapy water bottles then instead of the camelbak ones I have which I think were over a tenner each.

Hadn't banked on the transition area being grass. Knowing my luck my cleats will probably get covered in mud and I won't be able to clip in. Although that is preferable by miles to trying a flying mount which is only ever going to end badly for me :D

Any idea of what time registration will be open at on the Saturday ?

Haven't heard anything yet myself. Has anyone got those race info packs yet that they were supposed to be sending out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Haven't heard anything yet myself. Has anyone got those race info packs yet that they were supposed to be sending out?

Not yet but still early days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Did the bike loop this morning. If the "windy gap" isn't the most appropriately named place in Ireland I don't know what is. Road surface is in great condition for 90% of the route. Weather supposed to be cracking next week so hopefully it follows into the weekend. I really don't think you would have made it down the climb today with discs or deep wheels, the wind was crazy. Registration usually opens around 4pm or 5pm on the Saturday as far I remember.

Can i just be the 1st to say.............fcuk racing in this heat !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

I'm looking forward to the weather to be honest. Beats wind and rain anyday. :)

Advertisement