Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humbert Half Iron 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Was thinking that myself :) Saw that they aren't giving out water bottles on the bike leg this year so looks like i'm gonna have to pull over and fill bottles from the aid stations. Can't see 2 water bottles lasting the distance!

It's meant to be a little cooler on Sunday though, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

wideball wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the weather to be honest. Beats wind and rain anyday. :)

Who said it won't be windy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Who said it won't be windy ?

Forecast is 11kph south easterly winds which I'd take in terms of direction and strength. Not exactly HOTW winds.. so all good to me
    http://www.met.ie (Sunday - winds)

wideball wrote: »
    Forecast is 11kph south easterly winds which I'd take in terms of direction and strength. Not exactly HOTW winds.. so all good to me
    http://www.met.ie (Sunday - winds)

Yes and the met always get it right:D;)

Was thinking that myself :) Saw that they aren't giving out water bottles on the bike leg this year so looks like i'm gonna have to pull over and fill bottles from the aid stations. Can't see 2 water bottles lasting the distance!

It's meant to be a little cooler on Sunday though, isn't it?

Agreed and it will slow down the times slightly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Agreed and it will slow down the times slightly

I can see that getting messy. One third of people will crawl past the aid station and pull in, another third will jam on the breaks and fill their bottles on the spot, the remaining third will smash into the back of them.

hardCopy wrote: »
    I can see that getting messy. One third of people will crawl past the aid station and pull in, another third will jam on the breaks and fill their bottles on the spot, the remaining third will smash into the back of them.

And will get done for drafting:D

I agree i'll be getting cups to fill my water bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Run should be fun too at time of day with this heat!!
    What's the run course like? Hilly, sheltered?

I did 16k at 2pm yesterday and it was fine once i kept getting fluids into me.......but my fluids were cold:(

From memory, the second KM is a killer but it's just rolling up and down after that, like any part of Mayo. Most of it is sheltered (I think there was some shade from trees) but the section that runs along the N5 is exposed and was very windy last year, I think most will be glad if there's a breeze there this year.

Here's my Garmin activity from last year: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/203421580

Please don't laugh at my pacing.

• Advertisement

From memory, the second KM is a killer but it's just rolling up and down after that, like any part of Mayo. Most of it is sheltered (I think there was some shade from trees) but the section that runs along the N5 is exposed and was very windy last year, I think most will be glad if there's a breeze there this year.

Here's my Garmin activity from last year: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/203421580

Please don't laugh at my pacing.

Nothing wrong with that pacing its about what i'm planning on Sunday !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Was done there all day helping set up transition. Its all bone dry, weather looking like being slightly cooler for Sunday. Will be back down later with the camera. I'll be Marshaling at the turn off the N5, make sure to smile for the camera! :D

Making sure everything is right!!

[IMG][/img]DSC_3639_zps3aa42f9d.jpg

DSC_3638_zps9aca6a94.jpg

I'm loving the 70's vibe with the carpet !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

They will be giving out bottles, just regular drinks bottles not actual bike bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Well done to Fazz - a convincing win :)

http://www.swinfordtrisports.com/contentPage/86791/results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

catweazle wrote: »

1:34 per 100m average on the swim (1900m), best of the day, thats awesome going! Hats off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Cheers, great race I must say.
    Lived up to its popular reputation and a lovely honest course.

Swim was 2.1km in clear calm lake around an island. Beauty got draft first half then took over so worked out well for me.

Bike was 87.6km, down about 5 or so watts than planned but did a threshold climb of 320w for 5 mins so burnt a match there but just paced the rest. Took lead around 20km and lonely from there.

Run was 21.5km and lumpy out. Had stomach cramps for first 4km but alright after aid station.
    Had a 10 or so min lead out of t2 and found it hard to push on.

Run legs not quite there and dont think it was from bike as only pushed that climb near first third.

Happy to take a maiden win and bike course record updated :) .
    Also nailed my swim which I was happy to show progress at. The distances I clocked match several others.

Weather helped but aid stations galore (every 4km on run), well supported, lot of marshals, lots of volunteers, nice course, lake was warm!
    Fine feed at end (curry, rice, lasagne, pasta, salad).

swim was a beauty, wont find better and doubt any weather risk.
    bike 95% v good roads, nice 5km climb and rolling before flattening a bit.
    Run starts with a climb, then rolling. Kinda felt like always rising but could have been my legs.
    Well organised, prize money also and free entry next year.

Humbert gets my vote for National Champs 2014.

Very enjoyable race and course with top organisation to boot.

Glad to have helped out. Uploading all the photos that I took today (200!)

Fazz wrote: »
    Cheers, great race I must say.
    Lived up to its popular reputation and a lovely honest course.

Swim was 2.1km in clear calm lake around an island. Beauty got draft first half then took over so worked out well for me.

Bike was 87.6km, down about 5 or so watts than planned but did a threshold climb of 320w for 5 mins so burnt a match there but just paced the rest. Took lead around 20km and lonely from there.

Run was 21.5km and lumpy out. Had stomach cramps for first 4km but alright after aid station.
    Had a 10 or so min lead out of t2 and found it hard to push on.

Run legs not quite there and dont think it was from bike as only pushed that climb near first third.

Happy to take a maiden win and bike course record updated :) .
    Also nailed my swim which I was happy to show progress at. The distances I clocked match several others.

Weather helped but aid stations galore (every 4km on run), well supported, lot of marshals, lots of volunteers, nice course, lake was warm!
    Fine feed at end (curry, rice, lasagne, pasta, salad).

swim was a beauty, wont find better and doubt any weather risk.
    bike 95% v good roads, nice 5km climb and rolling before flattening a bit.
    Run starts with a climb, then rolling. Kinda felt like always rising but could have been my legs.
    Well organised, prize money also and free entry next year.

Humbert gets my vote for National Champs 2014.

Very enjoyable race and course with top organisation to boot.

Can't agree with that, i want to get a place:D

Great win in tough conditions, well done.

I agree that the run course always seemed to be climbing.

A fantastic race, very well organised, great marshalls, the aid stations on the run were fantastic !

Well done to all at Swinford Tri Club i honestly can't fault the event in any way at all.

• Advertisement

Another great race, well done Swinford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What's the story with the relay teams with the sub 30 swims (25, 27 & 28mins) and the fact they are all DNF?

pgibbo wrote: »
    What's the story with the relay teams with the sub 30 swims (25, 27 & 28mins) and the fact they are all DNF?

Well i past at least 6 guys with bike problems that when i asked all ok, a lot of them said "i'm out". At least 3 of them had planet x bikes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Well Elvis,

I forgot to get your race number and say hello yesterday. How did you get on? It was baking hot and I got roasted despite the P20. The lad who finished 2nd is a PO out of Cloverhill, didn't know that till yesterday.
    Good few punctures and one poor fella got 3 I believe, the last one only a km from the end. Only glitch was a marshal didn't turn up on time at the turn off after Pontoon and a few bikes missed the turn and had to be chased down by a bike official. Fazz is head and shoulders above the field, amazing times.
    I know the lad who was second out of the water was only doing the swim and bike cause of an injury so that might explain one of the DNF's.

Rawhead wrote: »
    Well Elvis,

I forgot to get your race number and say hello yesterday. How did you get on? It was baking hot and I got roasted despite the P20. The lad who finished 2nd is a PO out of Cloverhill, didn't know that till yesterday.
    Good few punctures and one poor fella got 3 I believe, the last one only a km from the end. Only glitch was a marshal didn't turn up on time at the turn off after Pontoon and a few bikes missed the turn and had to be chased down by a bike official. Fazz is head and shoulders above the field, amazing times.
    I know the lad who was second out of the water was only doing the swim and bike cause of an injury so that might explain one of the DNF's.

I'm bright red today !!! factor 50 water and sweat proof me hole:D

I did my race report on my log and its all there to see ! Big problem was that i forgot my energy jellies on the bike/run ( they went back to my car in the side of the bag ) and i paid for it. I was straving towards the end of the cycle and even when i got stuff into me it was too late the damage was done !

I must the guy who came 2nd up ! Ya 3 flats i heard as well. Ya the guy who only swim & bike had a broken toe........but i couldn't mention who did that to him.

I retired after the bike with a broken toe, I was definitely not second out of the water!

@elvis jones, I spotted you in transition after I retired, your T2 time could have been quicker if you weren't posing for photos. Whenever I've spotted you at a race you've either been on the mic or I've not had time to stop and introduce myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

Rawhead wrote: »

...I know the lad who was second out of the water was only doing the swim and bike cause of an injury so that might explain one of the DNF's.

That was me Rawhead i didnt run due to a foot injury but i swam and biked tho my bike split wasnt recorded as i didnt go over mat properly, i think i would have melted on the run anyways! Well done yourself!

The fella with the 3 punctures got the second one beside me on the turn off the N5. Was lucky, back wheel blew on bend, sent him across the road nearly head first into an oncoming car. I heard he got another one not far from transition, talk about bad luck!

Missed a few photos of some of the front runners on the bike, yee were coming too fast! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

mayo.mick wrote: »
    The fella with the 3 punctures got the second one beside me on the turn off the N5. Was lucky, back wheel blew on bend, sent him across the road nearly head first into an oncoming car. I heard he got another one not far from transition, talk about bad luck!

Missed a few photos of some of the front runners on the bike, yee were coming too fast! :pac:

Where are the photos? Cheers

Well done yesterday folks. Not easy in that heat! Fair play.

Savage performance Ian. :cool:

• Advertisement

I retired after the bike with a broken toe, I was definitely not second out of the water!

@elvis jones, I spotted you in transition after I retired, your T2 time could have been quicker if you weren't posing for photos. Whenever I've spotted you at a race you've either been on the mic or I've not had time to stop and introduce myself.

Elvis has to keep the fans sweet:D

Advertisement