Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galtymore conditions

Options
  • 22-02-2013 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Would anyone be able to confirm if there is any snow lying on Galtymore at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sweeno69

Has anyone been up Galtymore recently? Hoping to head up next week and was wondering what conditions were like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

There was a light covering of snow on Mount Leinster this Tuesday. Wild, wet & windy today with thick cloud but I'd be surprised if there was much snow up there as it's c 6 degrees at 150m above sea level. Galtymore is higher but further south and I believe temps there were nearer 10 degrees, so probably just wet underfoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Might be too late to be useful, but I was up there yesterday. There were small patches of snow, but lots of rime frost. Pretty spectacular, particularly on the wall that runs towards the summit. We approached from the north, and had a great day's walking. The boggy bits were all frozen solid, making the going easier. There was some ice, but it was easily avoided. It was very very cold though. I'm still not fully thawed out. It wouldn't take a spectacular disaster to have put us at risk of exposure, now that I think about it.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sweeno69

Thanks for the info folks. Followed the route up from the Black Road on Friday - conditions were grand until we got to the coll. Fair bit of snow and really strong winds... Made it to the top but as Beveragelady mentions above, it took a while to thaw out afterwards!

Advertisement