Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move from London to Dublin

Options
  • 22-02-2013 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I am a 27 yr old female health care professional. I have been living and working in London since I graduated 4 years ago and have now just accepted a job back home in Dublin.

I am extremely nervous about moving home and the practical side of making friends/things to do etc.. as most of my age group seems to have left the country with me four years ago, and I have not heard of many returning. Any suggestions?

On the more practical side I want to know about tax/benefits etc...

- Will I be tax exempt for a certain period of time as I have not actually paid tax or built up a tax free allowance? (sorry that could be a dumb question)
    - How do I stop emergency tax with the HSE?
    - How/Can I claim back any of the tax I have paid in UK over the last four years, if so how do I go about that?
    - How long is my european health card (NHS) valid to use in Ireland after I leave I London?

I would really appreciate the practical support.

Thanks,

Little Red

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

littlered wrote: »
    Hi,

- Will I be tax exempt for a certain period of time as I have not actually paid tax or built up a tax free allowance? (sorry that could be a dumb question)
    - How do I stop emergency tax with the HSE?
    - How/Can I claim back any of the tax I have paid in UK over the last four years, if so how do I go about that?
    - How long is my european health card (NHS) valid to use in Ireland after I leave I London?

you will get a tax free allowance that will probably arrive on your first salary. But, what frequently happens is you are on emergency tax (e.g., if you are a doctor it always happens actually) at the first few salaries and then it's backdated on your salary automatically. If you've been living and resident in the UK then you paid tax to do that, I don't think you can claim it back. The NHS card is also valid as a UK resident so most likely becomes invalid if you are no longer a UK resident (and not paying NI anymore). You can just apply for the Irish european health card instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

With regard to claiming tax back in the UK, have a look at this section on the HM Revenue & Customs website" http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/forms/view.page?record=5Ay4eloD0nw&formid=766

You must fill out the P85 form, and HMRC will check if you are due back any tax, basically if you have overpaid anything. This is most likely the case, especially if you started work in the middle or towards the end of a tax year and/or finish work in the middle/end of the tax year. This may amount to a few hundred quid, and my experience was that this was dealt with very quickly and without any hassle.

Advertisement