Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grow bags on a timber picnic bench

Options
  • 22-02-2013 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Really not sure if this or the DIY forum is the best place for this, but here goes anyway...

I've just bought a picnic table to put grow bags on for the spring/summer growing season. (I have a back problem and can't bend down, and I can fit 6 grow bags on it.) It was a half price offer in Argo so I was expecting it to be a bit rough and ready, but it turned out to be made from beautiful smooth pine and after 2 coats of varnish has turned into as lovely piece of furniture.

I'm just wondering what the best way to protect the timber is? Since it'll have the grow bags on it all the time it won't really get a chance to dry out and I'm worried it'll rot. Would covering it with polythene or oilcloth help or would the water just seep through?

Any advice would be much apprecaited. :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi All,

Really not sure if this or the DIY forum is the best place for this, but here goes anyway...

I've just bought a picnic table to put grow bags on for the spring/summer growing season. (I have a back problem and can't bend down, and I can fit 6 grow bags on it.) It was a half price offer in Argo so I was expecting it to be a bit rough and ready, but it turned out to be made from beautiful smooth pine and after 2 coats of varnish has turned into as lovely piece of furniture.

I'm just wondering what the best way to protect the timber is? Since it'll have the grow bags on it all the time it won't really get a chance to dry out and I'm worried it'll rot. Would covering it with polythene or oilcloth help or would the water just seep through?

Any advice would be much apprecaited. :)

100cm growbag tray would be handy.

5 euro in Tesco......6 euro in Aldi.:)

http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_25843.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would say that water will seep under it no matter what you do. I think I would be inclined to put some pieces of say 2x1 or similar scrap timber at rightangles to the existing timber just to keep the plastic off the wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Thanks the ideas. :) I actually do have the Aldi grow bag trays, but they have holes for drainage so water would still pool underneath. I'm going to try looksee's suggestion of using timber to raise them up a little. Hopefully that will allow enough air to circulate that the table doesn't get completely waterlogged.

Advertisement