Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Generic Free Agency Discussion

1789101113»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Carson Palmer could realistically get killed behind that O-line next year. It's going to be horrendous.

They won't be looking for a QB in the draft now, so those first few picks will be to bolster that line for Palmer and Mendenhall.

Two great pick ups by Arians IMO. Palmer is ideal for his kind of vertical Offense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hazys wrote: »
    Does anybody else think that Carson Palmer is just a spoilt brat/a$$hole who has wasted his own career?

I'm surprised he hasn't been crucified in the media. I can imagine how we would have been treated if he wasn't a No1 pick, white QB.

The Bengals picked him No.1 overall as a prototype QB with great potential and gave him a huge contract. The guy whinged about being on a losing team with the Bengals and requested a trade. I've heard of backup QBs asking for trade but I've never heard of a starting QB requesting a trade and trying to force himself off the team because in his eyes the team wasn't talented enough. He was told No and rightfully so and instead of buckling down and trying to build something with the Bengals, he quit and retired. Then the Bengals draft a rookie QB and start making the playoffs...the problem was not the team around you Carson, it was you.

He gets his way and is traded to Oakland. One average year and instead of buckling down for some hard work, he tries to force his way out. He gets his wish to joins the highly superior Cardinals ffs.

The leader on every team is the QB and their hard work and ambition is what the other 52 men look up to. Carson expects everything to be handed to him. Carson doesn't have the work ethic or resolve to build a playoff team...i expect him to quit on the Cardinals pretty quickly too.

Meh, he's always played okay at least and he's rarely had a really decent roster around him. He never had a realistic shot to win a Championship so I think it's hard to charge him with 'wasting' his career. His comments to the media have been poor by times, but he's generally done well where it matter the most. The Raiders overpaid for him, that's not on Palmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Had a look at ESPN there and one of the bloggers makes a good point about Palmer. He signed a contract. He's under no obligation to take a paycut and is well within his rights to refuse. Whenever a franchise makes a money-motivated move it's perfectly understandable, so the same standard should apply with players. Palmer's now getting more money to play for a way better team. And I think it's perfectly understandable that he wanted to leave one of the biggest rebuilding projects I've ever seen, being a veteran. The Raiders roster is one of the worst I've ever seen, only reason they will get a couple of wins is because they should be able to throw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

matthew8 wrote: »
    Had a look at ESPN there and one of the bloggers makes a good point about Palmer. He signed a contract. He's under no obligation to take a paycut and is well within his rights to refuse. Whenever a franchise makes a money-motivated move it's perfectly understandable, so the same standard should apply with players. Palmer's now getting more money to play for a way better team. And I think it's perfectly understandable that he wanted to leave one of the biggest rebuilding projects I've ever seen, being a veteran. The Raiders roster is one of the worst I've ever seen, only reason they will get a couple of wins is because they should be able to throw.
    He'll take a pay cut to get away.

I've always found it weird how contracts are handled in American football, you can be cut for a host of reasons cap space,you didn't do good last year etc and there is nothing a player can do yet if you want to leave the team still has all the power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I see Darius Heyward-Bey has signed with the Colts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Palmer traded for a conditional 7th in 2014(if he plays 13 games we get the pick) and gets $20m for two years. At least that's the end of that nightmare.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Jesus Palmer has a deal potentially worth 20million with 10 million guaranteed. Lets hope he has time to get the ball to Larry Fitzgerald.

Jags sign former Titans DT Sen'derrick Marks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Jags sign former Titans DT Sen'derrick Marks.

Not that sad to see him go tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Nnamdi to the Niners on a 1 year, 3 million deal

What a steal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Nnamdi to the Niners on a 1 year, 3 million deal

What a steal!

If he can play that is, was extremely weak in coverage for the Eagles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

@RapSheet Terms for Nnamdi with #49ers: 1-year deal worth $1.35M with the chance to make $1.65M in incentives. Also... He already got $4M from #Eagles

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I love this signing especially given small amount of cap space he'll take up. I'm wondering what it means for the other corners on the roster. Excellent news for the 49ers and typical of Trent Baalke to let the market settle and then grab a bargain.

Giants fans, enjoy having Aaron Ross back. A true pro. http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2013/4/5/4186642/aaron-ross-jaguars-paid-vacation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Rolando McClain waived by Raiders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No real surprise there. A gifted linebacker if he could ever get his act together imo. I don't know who will take him, the Chargers might take a chance on him if his cousin has a good relationship with him, if not then the Bengals are my favourites. They like to take all these troubled players it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

eagle eye wrote: »
    No real surprise there. A gifted linebacker if he could ever get his act together imo. I don't know who will take him, the Chargers might take a chance on him if his cousin has a good relationship with him, if not then the Bengals are my favourites. They like to take all these troubled players it seems.

Chargers fans where really high on him and wanted him in SD when he was drafted, but he is a nut case. Chargers wont touch him. Wouldn't be surprised if his cousin is joining him on the unemployment line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Jim Leonhard has signed a one-year deal with the Saints after leaving the Broncos

Lance Ball has signed his one-year RFA tender with the Broncos

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Looks like the Raiders have signed Mike Jenkins to a 1 year deal.

• Advertisement

Edelman back to Pats on a 1 year deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1599060-jamarcus-russell-comeback-2013-today-is-about-beating-the-scale

The latest instalment on JaMarcus Russell's comeback. He is down to 281lbs but apparently teams aren't interested until he is below 270lbs.

I'm really rooting for the guy at this stage, hope he gets a shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

HigginsJ wrote: »
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1599060-jamarcus-russell-comeback-2013-today-is-about-beating-the-scale

The latest instalment on JaMarcus Russell's comeback. He is down to 281lbs but apparently teams aren't interested until he is below 270lbs.

He already had his shot and he blew it in spectacular fashion, i don't have much sympathy for him.

281lbs is a ridiculous weight for a QB, Ben Roethlisberger is 240lbs and he is only one inch shorter than him. He is nowhere near in shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

He already had his shot and he blew it in spectacular fashion, i don't have much sympathy for him.

281lbs is a ridiculous weight for a QB, Ben Roethlisberger is 240lbs and he is only one inch shorter than him. He is nowhere near in shape.

Yea he blew his shot in a massive way but everyone deserves a 2nd chance no?

He has lost 37lbs so far and aims to lose more. If he is a more mature dedicated player than before then he has the talent to be a 2nd stringer on alot of teams.

It won't be handed to him and I'm sure teams will be very skeptical but he would surely interest someone.

Rolondo McClain to the Ravens on a one year deal, 700k

Nice pickup, very low commitment so he can be cut if it's not working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Rolondo McClain to the Ravens on a one year deal, 700k

Nice pickup, very low commitment so he can be cut if it's not working

Maybe he can do something in a stable environment.

Whether he is in shape or not won't have a whole lot to do with his weight at a certain point.

Looks like he's making strides. He keeps going like this, I reckon he'll get a chance to try out in a couple of places over the summer. His contract would be a veteran min; he has an arm and has won games in the NFL in the past. Whether he can grasp a playbook in a short space of time is another issue altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

So the Ravens have gone from having a murderer at MLB to having someone who only threatens to murder at MLB.

You're softening up lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Yea he blew his shot in a massive way but everyone deserves a 2nd chance no?

He has lost 37lbs so far and aims to lose more. If he is a more mature dedicated player than before then he has the talent to be a 2nd stringer on alot of teams.

It won't be handed to him and I'm sure teams will be very skeptical but he would surely interest someone.

Vick got a second chance because the Eagles thought he could still produce for them! If Russell shows he can get the job done for a team then he'll get a job! Most NFL teams couldn't care less about your past if they think you'll be an asset!

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Whether he is in shape or not won't have a whole lot to do with his weight at a certain point.

Looks like he's making strides. He keeps going like this, I reckon he'll get a chance to try out in a couple of places over the summer. His contract would be a veteran min; he has an arm and has won games in the NFL in the past. Whether he can grasp a playbook in a short space of time is another issue altogether.

I'm not rooting against him but i'm not rooting for him either.

He got drafted at 265lbs, which even still seems a little large even for him.

Losing weight is one thing, anybody can lose weight and lose so much weight when you are that overweight in the first place and it's your full time job with specialized trainers...so i'm not very impressed about the weight lose.

But being able to play is another thing and his biggest question is can he study and learn NFL playbooks, defenses and produce when the pressure is on on Sunday. He hasn't been on a football field for years and he has only started his comeback 2 months ago...whats has he been doing for the last 6, 12 months, etc? I'm not fully convinced he's changed that much at all.

He is 27 and Brandon Weeden was drafted at 28 so there is still hope for him to sort his life out but he as a long way to go if all he has done so far is gone from obese to just fat.

I'm not rooting against him but i'm not rooting for him either.

He got drafted at 265lbs, which even still seems a little large even for him.

Losing weight is one thing, anybody can lose weight and lose so much weight when you are that overweight in the first place and it's your full time job with specialized trainers...so i'm not very impressed about the weight lose.

But being able to play is another thing and his biggest question is can he study and learn NFL playbooks, defenses and produce when the pressure is on on Sunday. He hasn't been on a football field for years and he has only started his comeback 2 months ago...whats has he been doing for the last 6, 12 months, etc? I'm not fully convinced he's changed that much at all.

He is 27 and Brandon Weeden was drafted at 28 so there is still hope for him to sort his life out but he as a long way to go if all he has done so far is gone from obese to just fat.

Terms like obese and far don't really apply when discussing professional athletes. Brian O' Driscoll is technically "obese" as per standard definitions of the term.

I can't answer his ability to take on chunks of an NFL Playbook quickly as part of a tryout in camp - but I do think that the physical progress he is currently making will give us all the opportunity to find out this summer

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Terms like obese and far don't really apply when discussing professional athletes. Brian O' Driscoll is technically "obese" as per standard definitions of the term.

I can't answer his ability to take on chunks of an NFL Playbook quickly as part of a tryout in camp - but I do think that the physical progress he is currently making will give us all the opportunity to find out this summer

That is completely false. Obesity is calculated based on Body Fat Percentage...you are confusing it with BMI which doesn't take into account muscle weight.

For arguments sake, say 265lbs is his ideal weight (i think it should be lower), he weighed 310lbs so to get to his ideal weight he needs to lose 45lbs...are you saying all that 45lbs is muscle?

At 281lbs, his body fat is 15%, he still needs to get to around or less than 10%. His body fat at 310lbs is around 27% which is obese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

His problem isn't the weight, it's his lack for football. To make a roster spot as back-up he needs to really know the play-book. As a GM I'd have zero faith in him working at home every night watching tape and learning the play-book. The video showed he needs someone to babysit him all through his work-outs. He just lacks that inner motivation and desire to make it.

P.S Lloyd - Jamarcus Russell isn't a professional athlete and hasn't been one for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

That is completely false. Obesity is calculated based on Body Fat Percentage...you are confusing it with BMI which doesn't take into account muscle weight.
    You sure about this? I'm pretty sure it is based on BMI. Until recently anyway.

Either way, I hope JMR ends up at Houston, Tennessee or Jacksonville. And starts. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Glad to hear the Ravens have picked up another player from the bargain basement in McClain. Smart teams cashing in on the Raiders purge.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    You sure about this? I'm pretty sure it is based on BMI. Until recently anyway.

Either way, I hope JMR ends up at Houston, Tennessee or Jacksonville. And starts. ;)

You are right obesity is measured using the BMI but also now uses the Waist to Hip ratio and by simply assessing the person by using your eyes. The BMI is flawed as using someone's height and weight isn't always a good way to say they are overweight as lets face muscle is heavy also. That is why the Waist to hip ratio comes into play now by measuring excess fat around the hips and waist and also using calipers to measure body fat.

To clarify both BMI and Body Fat Percentage are measures of obesity levels, except that BMI is deeply flawed while using Body Fat Percentage is highly accurate.

BMI is a quick check used by your Doctor on normal people to see if you are obese, its not much greater than a quick eye test.

The more accurate measure is using Body Fat %, its harder to calculate but you can get in-home machines that do it. NFL and other sports teams have high tech machines called pods that calculate players Body Fat %.

By the simple math i did above, JaMarcus Russell would have been considered obese at 310lbs.

Ravens sign Caleb Hanie QB

Can't see any possibility of him making the team but they tend to sign QB's with experience for camp around this time of year.

Curtis Painter last year and the mighty John Beck a few years ago as examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

DB Tony Carter and DT Mitch Unrein have signed RFA tenders with the Broncos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Jets allow Revis to visit Bucc's . So looks like Revis is gone . I'm dissappointed but if we weren't going to resign him better to load up on Picks .

Still though letting a potential HOFer leave is tough to swallow . At least he's not going to the Patriots...

If we have two first rounders id like to trade one away for multiple picks in later rounds. We lack serious depth in the entire roster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

In the long run it could work out for the Jets. Every off season it always revolved around Revis and his contract, he was unhappy and the management were unhappy with how he was acting (The whole Namdi contract is funny in retrospective).

If they offered Revis a huge contract making him the most paid CB straight after coming off a ACL injury and Revis played poorly they would of been laughed at. It's tough getting rid of a franchise player let alone one who was the bedrock of that team but given the risk I think they may be in a stronger position now with a lot of draft picks then they would have been in they kept him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Buccs pass D will probably go from 32nd to top 10 with the acquisitions of Revis and Goldson to their secondary.

Jags signed CB Marcus Trufant today. Delighted with that, veteran who knows the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Jags signed CB Marcus Trufant today. Delighted with that, veteran who knows the system.

Good. Now I won't be offered him in a trade every time I start a new career in Madden.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Good. Now I won't be offered him in a trade every time I start a new career in Madden.

Why you not play in our league??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

His problem isn't the weight, it's his lack for football. To make a roster spot as back-up he needs to really know the play-book. As a GM I'd have zero faith in him working at home every night watching tape and learning the play-book. The video showed he needs someone to babysit him all through his work-outs. He just lacks that inner motivation and desire to make it.

P.S Lloyd - Jamarcus Russell isn't a professional athlete and hasn't been one for a long time.

True any athlete worth their salt actually has some pride in not letting themselves get to being very overweight. I can't imagine him pushing himself that last 5 yards in training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Russell is getting a try-out with the Bears on Friday, along with three other QB's:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/9342308/source-jamarcus-russell-work-chicago-bears-friday
    Former Oakland Raiders No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell gets his first shot at returning to the NFL on Friday when he visits the Chicago Bears for a workout that will include three other signal callers, according to an NFL source with knowledge of the situation.

Having shed a reported 50 pounds in recent months, Russell has drawn interest from multiple teams, including the Bears, who would like to obtain a current evaluation of the quarterback. Initially, the Bears weren't interested in taking a look at Russell, and one source believed nobody in the NFL would take the quarterback's comeback seriously until he shed a significant amount of weight.

Now that Russell weighs a reported 265 pounds -- his weight when the Raiders made him the No. 1 overall pick in 2007 -- the Bears want to give the quarterback an opportunity.

That doesn't mean a signing would be imminent if Russell produced a strong performance during the workout. With three quarterbacks already on the roster in Jay Cutler, Josh McCown, and Matt Blanchard, the Bears are contemplating whether they want to bring in a fourth quarterback to take to training camp. Currently, the team likes what it already has on the roster, and isn't looking to bring in a fourth quarterback. Given the fluidity regarding personnel around the league, the team could change its mind.

In addition to bringing in Russell and the three other quarterbacks, the Bears plan to work out several veterans at multiple positions as they continue to evaluate how to best fill the back end of their roster. By putting together up-to-date evaluations on several veteran players, including Russell, the Bears will have gathered a short list of vets it can call in the event of an injury.

NFL Network reported Russell would like to sign with a team where he can learn under a veteran quarterback. If Russell doesn't sign with an NFL team within the next 30 to 45 days, he also would be open to signing with a CFL team.

In April, former NFL quarterback Jeff Garcia, who is working with Russell, called Chicago and Arizona ideal fits for Russell, who told Yahoo! Sports he didn't want to be remembered as a "bust." Russell is currently working at the TEST Football Academy with Garcia, who is working with him on technique, and Hall of Famer running back Marshall Faulk, who is helping the quarterback at reading defenses. Russell is also working with several other former players, doctors and trainers.

Russell hasn't played a down of football in the NFL since 2009, and won just seven of 25 starts during his career at Oakland. Russell received approximately $39 million in three seasons in Oakland, and has completed 52.1 percent of his passes for 18 touchdowns, 23 interceptions and a passer rating of 65.2.

In 2010, authorities charged Russell with felony possession of a controlled substance, a drink containing codeine cough syrup, when officers raided his home that July. A grand jury declined to indict the quarterback later that year on those charges.

Advertisement