Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance

Options
  • 22-02-2013 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭

another question about renting out a house. Probably for landlords this one

From researching I can see that the 2 main reasons LLs put "no rent allowance" up seems to be that
    1. the tenant may be unreliable and not care for the property
    2. unreliable with money

I know that both may or not be true about rent allowance tenants AND cash payers so not discussing the likelihood of the above and percentages of same in this post.

Is there anything else to it? If youre a LL and accept it, how do you find it, is it paid straight to you? How much is it compared to your rental demands, ie, does tenant have to make up balance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I take it on a person by person basis, I don't refuse it but will avoid it if possible. Its not paid straight to me but to the tenant first and there tends to be problems getting a deposit out of people on the rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I thought the main reason it wasn't accepted was because certain landlords only wanted to deal in cash for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I thought the main reason it wasn't accepted was because certain landlords only wanted to deal in cash for obvious reasons.

common misconception although true in some cases.

Rent allowance is paid in arrears, pain in the arse and a very big reason many LL's wont accept it.

Advertisement