Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Configuring Private Network with Internet Access

Options
  • 22-02-2013 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am currently doing a college project to build a virtual private network. I have added DHCP, DNS and also active directory to my server Win 2008 and have configured all the domains in which my hosts belong to. My network address is 10.0.0.0 which my server is 10.0.0.1 and hosts starting from .10-.50. The problem I am having is that I am unable to connect to the internet from my hosts or my server?

I have built this topology under VMWare ESXi and the default gateway of my college network is 193.X.X.X. At this stage I am quite lost and tried adding another nic to my server (2 in total, 1 for private network 10.x.x.x & second for internet access) and adding the ip address and D.G of my college network but nothing works. At this stage, I dont even know what I am doing anymore. Can someone please advise me on how to fix this problem please?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Ok so you need to configure a machine to act as a router between the inside 10's network on NETWORKCARD1 and the college network on NETWORKCARD2.

This will become the gateway on your internal network. So any network traffic addressed to an address outside 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 will be directed to the gateway.
    The Gateway will require NAT to translate the internal 10's IP addresses to the external Network card address of the gateway and keep track of which internal machines should receive which responses.

You could use a software router using Vyatta/BSD/Linux on a second VM as the gateway. But presumably you want to start out by learning how to configure win2008 as a router.

Under 2008. Add the role "Network Policy and Access Services". The "Routing" tickbox has to be checked.

You'll need then to enable routing using the MMC console, in particular NAT routing.
    I'm going to be lazy and point to the youtube video to walk through the wizard...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQhFbEPlRsU

Advertisement