Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband review

• 22-02-2013 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

As it been a month or more since Sky broadband is live. i think it's fair to share the individual experiences. Please share your experiences here including any significant speed increase, consistency and reliability of the connection and off course Customer service .

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Perfect. It's €50 a month less than eircom. It works exactly the same but the pings are slightly better.

Stopped thinking about it now really. It's the exact same technology as eircom so I wasn't expecting anything different. 10/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Perfect. It's €50 a month less than eircom. It works exactly the same but the pings are slightly better.

Stopped thinking about it now really. It's the exact same technology as eircom so I wasn't expecting anything different. 10/10.

Just curious as to what you're paying if its €50 less per month?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

What speeds are you getting?

Is the Unlimited package really unlimited?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Lot of people pay Eircom 50 euro a month, are Sky giving it for free?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Just curious as to what you're paying if its €50 less per month?
    €10 for broadband and calls for the first year. I got in as part of the trial that was well publicised on here.
    Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    What speeds are you getting?

Is the Unlimited package really unlimited?
    12Mbit sync and around 10Mbit down, 0.9Mbit up real time. Same as eircom. It's the same line so the speed will in general be the same bar some rare customers who had limited speeds by eircom.

Yep. Unlimited. The girl on the phone told me to invite all my friends over and see who could download the most.
    Lot of people pay Eircom 50 euro a month, are Sky giving it for free?

I was paying eircom €62, I pay Sky €10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 iwangmeng

I was paying eircom €62, I pay Sky €10.

I guess there is also a line rental fee.
    which is about 30?

so the saving is about 20 rather than 50..

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

Trial offer was for €10.

iwangmeng wrote: »
    I guess there is also a line rental fee.
    which is about 30?

so the saving is about 20 rather than 50..

Nope, €10 includes line rental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Got Sky through the trial offer.Was with Voda on a up to 8mbps tarriff & was getting a constant 6mbps. That was costing me €47.00 per month. With Sky I'm getting a constant 18mbps for €17.50. Have it for almost 3 weeks now. Happy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

Was with Vodafone getting about 11mbps. Now getting 14mbps with Sky. Upload speed of 1mbp with both providers. So far only downtime was on a day where a lot of other Sky users had problems connecting to the internet. Got in on the €10 a month trial offer so all in all, very happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

You're getting it as part of a trial offer. I'm sure then it will go up to standard pricing afterwards and you'll then only be saving a measly €5 right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Got Sky through the trial offer.Was with Voda on a up to 8mbps tarriff & was getting a constant 6mbps. That was costing me €47.00 per month. With Sky I'm getting a constant 18mbps for €17.50. Have it for almost 3 weeks now. Happy out.

Do you know if you were connecting with ADSL2+ with vodafone before Sky and Sky just increased your profile or were you switched from ADSL to ADSL2+ with Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭jusvi2001

Do you know if you were connecting with ADSL2+ with vodafone before Sky and Sky just increased your profile or were you switched from ADSL to ADSL2+ with Sky?

How to find out that? also is there anyway from my end to see what profile (like max speed)the provider set for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

jusvi2001 wrote: »

How to find out that? also is there anyway from my end to see what profile (like max speed)the provider set for me.

I am not sure if you can see it on the Sky router but on my Linksys one you could. It should be somewhere in settings or try googling it to see how to do it. I dont think you can see your max profile at your end but through your account you can.

I don't know. Cannot get into the router to check anything. But I'm only 400m from the exchange. Had been told by Voda a few years ago that my line could take 24mbps. When I check my speed on the Sky site it tells me I'm getting 22.6mbps:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Buzz84

Was it like for gaming any Nat issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭Ranelite

How does this compare to the UPC 30meg broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

You're getting it as part of a trial offer. I'm sure then it will go up to standard pricing afterwards and you'll then only be saving a measly €5 right?

Well yes but the trial is for 12 months so its a great deal.

I got the trial offer too, paying €17.50 per month for unlimited broadband, line rental and free calls to 20 countries anytime. Have relations in the UK Germany and The States so it works out great from that point of view.

I`m getting the same speeds i was getting with Vodafone. I have it maybe 4 or 5 weeks now. Had one minor issues when I came home and the Sky Hub was showing orange and wouldnt connect but a reboot sorted it straight away.

Over the course of the 12 months I will save €330.00 over Vodafone so it was a no brainer. I`m also on a discounted TV package for 12 months too, which will expire around the same time.

I will look for discounts on both again when they are due for renewal(obviously wont get the same price on the broadband) and if they dont want to play ball I will look elsewhere and weigh up my options, but for the rest of the year Im saving a fortune for what I am getting so am happy out and will address it all again next year.

Ranelite wrote: »
    How does this compare to the UPC 30meg broadband?

It doesnt. Its not trying to compete with UPC either, just other DSL providers.

If I could get UPC broadband I wouldnt even consider Sky.

Buzz84 wrote: »
    Was it like for gaming any Nat issues?

I have only played a couple of evenings online on PS3 and had no issues/no disconnects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭Ranelite

adox wrote: »
    It doesnt. Its not trying to compete with UPC either, just other DSL providers.

If I could get UPC broadband I wouldnt even consider Sky.

Well is it worth saving the few quid for the year by switching if I don't download much?

I don't know. Cannot get into the router to check anything. But I'm only 400m from the exchange. Had been told by Voda a few years ago that my line could take 24mbps. When I check my speed on the Sky site it tells me I'm getting 22.6mbps:confused:

22.6 is pretty good.

22.6 is pretty good.

My Speedtest runs tell me I'm getting 18mbps since I installed it. But funnily enough I'v had a couple of blips last night & early this afternoon. Hope its not the start of a trend;).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

22.6 is pretty good.

how accurate are the readings of speeds from skys website tho? Im on Eircom, I was originally on 7.6megs and since then they downgraded me to 6meg. My line attenuation is 36db down, sky's website says I can get 11.7meg, would love to move if that was true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Have got nothing greater than 8Meg since connection, the first week I could get nothing more than 1Meg and when I called they told me there was a stop on the account.

In fairness to the Customer service lad he removed it straight away and was very apologetic, I have yet to get 10Meg and I am averaging out about 3Meg. I was told I would get a call back Tuesday that never came and another on Wed which never came.

Also experiencing signal drops every 2/3 days, if it keeps up it will be going back next week.

Gonzo wrote: »
    how accurate are the readings of speeds from skys website tho? Im on Eircom, I was originally on 7.6megs and since then they downgraded me to 6meg. My line attenuation is 36db down, sky's website says I can get 11.7meg, would love to move if that was true?

I go by sync speeds because that's what your line can do.

With 36db attenuation you should get close to 12Mbit sync which will give real world download speeds of around 10.5Mbit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Thinking of switching from Eircom but a bit confused around line rentals.

at the moment I pay Eircom roughly €60 every two months covering calls, broadband, line rental.

I also pay €50 a month to Sky for my TV.

So €110 monthly.

By switching calls and broadband to sky for €40 I can bring this down to €90, saving me €20 a month.

However someone said that as the line is still owned by Eircom, you still end up paying them something like €20 or €25 a month for just line rental, which wipes out the saving or could actually end up costing a few quid more.

Is this true? Do you still pay something to Eircom?

No. You zilch to Eircom. The € 40 you pay for Sky telephone services INCLUDES the line rental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I got Sky Broadband on the €10pm trial. I have a letter from that time stating - Sky Broadband Unlimited €10 and Sky Talk €1.

Now today I get a letter from the stating that my next bill will be €40!?

I'm going to give them a call and see if I can get this sorted.

Are other people who got in on the €10pm 1 year trial getting the same letter?

• Advertisement

Ya got the letter. Ignore it. The way they do it is charge you and discount your bill I think. I was charged the correct amount anyway. €10.

Advertisement