Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband review

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Thanks Nonoperational, that's a load off. I didn't have time to ring them today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I actually meant to phone them and forgot too. When I got the bill it was all correct.

On a plus note my broadband speeds have changed from an intermittent 4.25Mb/s with Vodafone to a nicely consistent 5.25Mb/s with Sky. I presume this is because of lack of contention due to less people being with Sky atm.

2550816883.png

How are you finding the speeds compared to your previous supplier, have they increased at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

two questions

1)will they activate a line

2)do you have to be in an old BT area

Probably ans a million times already but anywho...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

two questions

1)will they activate a line

Probably ans a million times already but anywho...

My girlfriend bought a new house and her phone line is not activated.
    She rang Sky a few minutes ago and they told her she needed to get Eircom to do it.
    She rang Eircom and they said it would cost her €120 as she was going to move to Sky Broadband. (I presume they would do it for free it you were going to stay with them).

She then asked the Eircom agent if they would match Skys offer of €40 per month unlimited and they said they would not.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place as UPC don't offer broadband where she lives sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Could you contact COMREG? Surely thats not right to charge someone 120 euro to activate a line?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Mc Love wrote: »
    Could you contact COMREG? Surely thats not right to charge someone 120 euro to activate a line?

I am not sure to be honest, I will have to look into it. I am not sure where a consumer stands on these issues sadly mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

have just joined sky. bit of a mess trying to get set up. worng activation dates, clueless but helpful staff.
    Speed is terrible so far http://www.speedtest.net/result/2625764330.png . Not sure how everyone is getting those good speeds, but our are beyond terrible!!

Going to give it a few more days and then will call to complain- or just going to cancel my contract it not sorted in the month. My vodafone mobile bb is getting over 4-5mbps, use it for my business too so not really a cost to me. Joke of a service so far to be fair...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

2625879818.png

Mine still better than Eircom was... Delighted with it for €10 per month.

• Advertisement

That's what they do alright.

Back in 2008 I paid the €120 only to find that my "new" line came up as red on the broadband test and could only manage 16.8k on a dialup modem. Ended up cancelling the line and cutting my losses. This was in Drumcondra of all places, hardly the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I pay €40/month with Sky vs €52/month with Eircom. Thats why I moved. Eircom speed was around 6Mb though constant ('ish). Sky quoted me line speeds of 20Mb but the fastest I ever got was 17.5Mb. Speeds have dropped well below that and I have got speeds of 0.22Mb recently.

A bill came for €110 recently (an extra €81 after TV) so I don't really know what Sky intend to charge me for broadband seeing my total bill before was €29.

I wish they would get the line sorted out and deliver me the 17 - 20 Mb without dropping speed. I would expect Youtube to run super smooth but that is laughable.

** One thing, the Sky router is way better than the Eircom router. I can share media on my Xperia phone on the Sky router but it was impossible on Eircom. I frequently had to reset the Eircom router as it would jam. I hated the Eircom router and it wasted my time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

He/she could. The 120 euro charge is a non in situ charge that every new access seeker needs to pay when ordering a new line (in situ lines are much cheaper, in situ lines are , ie, lines that have been previously activated or that have the wiring ready).

The reason why you go to Eircom is because they are probably not ready/familiar with this process or maybe they dont have the man power to do it.

Eircom retail might "waive" that charge (120 euro) if you stay with them, some providers do this too. As far as I remember those 120 euro are mandatory and everyone Eircom retail, Sky, etc will need to pay it. The only time, as I have said, when you dont have to is when is in situ.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jinjodesign

Just heard a great offer on the radio for free broadband with Sky for 6 months. So called them up. I was told though that there is a line rental fee of €30 per month, as they bring the broadband into the house via the phone line. (There is no line rental fee with UPC)

I was still going to go for the package though until the guy told me that the speed of the broadband would not be more than 10mbs!! We currently get 21mbs with UPC...

Guess we will have to wait until they decide to roll out their 'Fibre Trial' in a 'couple of months'. Guy on phone assured me there is no line rental fee with this option but he couldnt tell me how much it would cost.

I absolutely detest being with UPC and am only itching to get with someone else. But unfortunately the speed of the broadband service just isnt there yet.

Come on Sky, catch up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Just heard a great offer on the radio for free broadband with Sky for 6 months. So called them up. I was told though that there is a line rental fee of €30 per month, as they bring the broadband into the house via the phone line. (There is no line rental fee with UPC)

I was still going to go for the package though until the guy told me that the speed of the broadband would not be more than 10mbs!! We currently get 21mbs with UPC...

Guess we will have to wait until they decide to roll out their 'Fibre Trial' in a 'couple of months'. Guy on phone assured me there is no line rental fee with this option but he couldnt tell me how much it would cost.

I absolutely detest being with UPC and am only itching to get with someone else. But unfortunately the speed of the broadband service just isnt there yet.

Come on Sky, catch up.

UPC have their own lines, whereas, Sky use Eircom's. I'd gladly swap your UPC for my Sky if it was possible.

I dont mind paying the line rental really, its more the speed of the line.. Dont understand how others are getting 17mbs when the guy was very straight telling me that we would not get more than 10mbs? Is it down to the area I am in?

I dont mind paying the line rental really, its more the speed of the line.. Dont understand how others are getting 17mbs when the guy was very straight telling me that we would not get more than 10mbs? Is it down to the area I am in?

No, it's down to how long your copper line is. Speed deteriorates on copper lines, so the longer the line, the slower your broadband package.

It's kind of like hitting a golf ball, gravity slows it down until it comes to a complete halt.

Fiber broadband is like hitting a golf ball in space, there's no gravity to slow it down, so it keeps traveling at the same speed.

Only a handful of people have fiber broadband in Ireland.

Aw thanks for that! I get it now, I think I will hang on until the gravity defying line is in place!!
    Thanks again for explaining : )

Aw thanks for that! I get it now, I think I will hang on until the gravity defying line is in place!!
    Thanks again for explaining : )

Well, gravity doesn't affect data passing through copper, the copper affects data from traveling through copper. I was just using gravity as a analogy.

I got that............. hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I got that............. hahaha

Honestly, I cannot understand why you are getting only 21mbps from UPC. Can they do anything at all for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭breeno

Hi,

Does anybody know if the reconnection fee still applies on eircom lines? We moved into our house in November and the line has been disconnected since then as far as I know. Currently on UPC but their tv service is very poor so I'm leaving them and need a landline for multiroom with sky. Going to sign up to Sky BB but not sure the saving will be worth it if I have to pay a €120 reconnection fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

breeno wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anybody know if the reconnection fee still applies on eircom lines? We moved into our house in November and the line has been disconnected since then as far as I know. Currently on UPC but their tv service is very poor so I'm leaving them and need a landline for multiroom with sky. Going to sign up to Sky BB but not sure the saving will be worth it if I have to pay a €120 reconnection fee.
    You should not have to pay again if the line is still in place. connect a phone up to the line and dial 199000 and a recorded voice may read back the dormant number associated with the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

hi gang...
    any other reviews about sky broadband...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Erper wrote: »
    hi gang...
    any other reviews about sky broadband...

I have Sky broadband since April and it's great. Went from getting 6-7Mb on an 8Mb package to getting 14-16Mb on a 12Mb line! The Eircom speed checker as well as the Sky one say my line can handle only 12Mb but the Sky Hub happily connects at 16Mb so happy days for me. Only thing that bothers me is that if I still had Vodafone I'd have 50/20 fibre right now as my house is fibre enabled. I complained to Sky and was "assured" that I will be able to avail of Sky fibre in December before the official launch in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭thatsmyboy

How do eircom lines differ guys. Some of ye are told by eircom ye can get 12mgb on you phone line but I was told today by the guy on the phone when I rang eircom that my phone line can only hold max 4mgb

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

thatsmyboy wrote: »
    How do eircom lines differ guys. Some of ye are told by eircom ye can get 12mgb on you phone line but I was told today by the guy on the phone when I rang eircom that my phone line can only hold max 4mgb

Distance from the exchange. The further you are away from the exchange, the slower your speed. See if you can find you exchange on this map:

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#map:id=4

An exchange is usually a building. You'll have to click on those green dots and see if any of them say "exchange" or "telephone exchange".

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭thatsmyboy

So guys I got onto eircom again today and was told again my line can only get 4mgb. Anyways I was wondering is there any point getting fixed line broadband prob Sky .I have a vodafone dongle at the moment and was wondering would it be worth my while getting the broadband or stick with what I have

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

thatsmyboy wrote: »
    So guys I got onto eircom again today and was told again my line can only get 4mgb. Anyways I was wondering is there any point getting fixed line broadband prob Sky .I have a vodafone dongle at the moment and was wondering would it be worth my while getting the broadband or stick with what I have

Do a speed check on the vodafone dongle. Though it would be unlikely it would give you 4Mb if you cant get broadband based on what I'm guessing is a rural area.

Usually Sky's speeds vary to Eircoms because they use BT Ireland's equipment in certain exchanges. Do some reaearchi is the only advice I can give you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Sickened that I missed out on the 10euro trial :(.
    How neogitable are they with prices?I know there good with tv packages but maybe different with broadband?

Advertisement